The '5 Minutes' Test - week 6 **Going PINK** šŸ’® (Badges Awarded Mondays)

Can you do it somewhere in private? The ā€˜out loudā€™ bit is a central part of this stepā€¦ :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know, I knowā€¦ will try, promise, Sir. Perhaps am chwech oā€™r gloch yn y bore 'fory, as far away from y gwely as ffossib!

1 Like

Or lock yourself in the bathroom with the radio on?

Or just pretend to be on the phone to someone?..:wink:

Or actually call someone!

1 Like

Love it @aran - diolch yn fawr iawn. Perhaps I should lock myself in the ystafell ymolchi, turn the :radio: AND call someone whom I wonā€™t have a gath in hellā€™s cyfle of clywedā€™ing because of the :radio:being on in the Hinterland :wink:

Alternatively, Iā€™ll just banish fy gwr i for pum munud - much easier. Canā€™t wait to show the ā€˜testā€™ to my friend Cheryl yfory. Weā€™re doing one of our weekly ymarfer sessions which is more a question of trying to cement and further her own commitment (sheā€™s flagging somewhat, but refuses point blank to do SSIW; says it ā€˜annoys herā€™ ā€¦ hey, I suppose you canā€™t win 'em all, eh?). Weā€™re both doing Mynediad in a traditional evening class (year 2 now), but she hasnā€™t got my determination and those gritted teeth you talk about either near the end of Level 2 or in one of the first 3 challenges of Lefel tri/driā€¦

No, but seriously though, I absolutely promise Iā€™ll do the test aloud yfory and report back with a ā€˜done, not ā€œsort ofā€ā€™ - howzat?:cricket:

3 Likes

Dw i wedi ei wneud e. (Please feel free to correct this).

That sounds like a dealā€¦ :thumbsup:

I suspect this might be a big deal for you, Caroline. Anyone who is into Level 3 has got far, far too much Welsh to be on a Mynediad course - which you may already kind of sense - if we can get you (via the 5 minute test) to stay in Welsh only for an hour, I think you might see it all start to flowerā€¦ :slight_smile:

1 Like

It flowers already if you ask me, just that she didnā€™t quite realize that yet ā€¦

If I wouldnā€™t be hard at work at my job at 9 am already, hardly having the time to even speak my own language Iā€™d be willing to turn myself into the alien you could call to have the excuse to taok Welsh @carolineparkinson ā€¦ :slight_smile: But unfortunately I am not in that position though. :slight_smile:

1 Like

sort of, kind of (sense, that is). Iā€™m also doing Duolingo and am on Level 23 with that, plus I try to find other online resource/tools/stuff to keep it all fresh, but learning this way is perhaps even more difficult, since it means Iā€™m getting my Welsh ā€œfixā€ in perhaps too many different ways. Maybe Iā€™ve made a rod for my own back. Never mind - carry on regardless. The irony is, if someone says something new to me in Welsh, it completely floors me, to the extent that I sink back down a little (only for a millisecond as Iā€™m an eternal optimist, fortunately) and realise that actually, Iā€™ve got a long, long, long way to go. But hey, Rome wasnā€™t built in a day and, being a Capricorn, you wonā€™t find more determined than C R Parkinson round 'yere so itā€™s onward, upward and if necessary, sideways for me! Having recently turned the tender (!) age of 59, I need something to exercise the grey matter and what better than learning Welsh? Unbeatable, it is; absolutely, astonishingly, agonisingly, achingly, amazing! Love it. And love the forum when I get a chance to check in. And, unlike ffrind Cheryl, love SSIW.

3 Likes

Whatā€™s the longest conversation youā€™ve had in Welsh?

Hmmmm ā€¦ I know this one ā€¦:slight_smile:

From this post energy bursts in all directions and I can actually feel your determination and passion. Da iawn ti! You will do this test tomorrow just fine, believe me. Donā€™t worry about perceptions of others. I know them about me at my work too but still this doesnā€™t prevent me to ask someone every morning a question in Welsh like ā€œBore da, sut ywt ti???ā€ ā€œHuh???ā€ and then realization that Iā€™ve told them once already what does it means after what comes the reply ā€œDobrā€ (good) and slight smile on their face ā€¦ Perceptions gone ā€¦ :slight_smile:

1 Like

thanks @tatjana - thereā€™s nothing like a Capricorn! :grinning:

Agreed! :slight_smile:

A chroeso mawr! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Mmmm, seconds, Iā€™m afraid, not even a minute. Dyna Radnorshire i chi. Thereā€™s just not that many speakers around and are they available when I am? Are they heckā€¦ things are always at the wrong time and in the wrong place. I long for a sort of bwtcamp penwythnos that doesnā€™t involve a dwy-awr gyrru a aros un wythnos. Something short and sweet ble basai fy gwr i ddim teimlo abandoned - if you see what I mean. Perhaps even just a day of intensive siarad with some Welsh-speakers in a place and at a time and one a date that is when I can make it. Iā€™ve expressed an interest more than once in something they do at the Thomas Shop in Penybont bore ddydd Sadwrn and apparently thereā€™s something similar at CARAD in Rhayader, but word just doesnā€™t seem to me on when one of these bore coffi or whatever it is are being held. I know, i know, it all sounds like a load of lame excuses. I must get off my butt as our American cousins would say and take control. Find out and get on with it. Itā€™s not going to come to me by the looks of it, so I must go to it, mountains, Mohamed and horses and water all come to mind! So, to cut a stori hir byr (LOL) I wouldnā€™t even call anything Iā€™ve had a ā€œconversationā€ TBH since that requires at least two participants. First, catch your participantā€¦ :grin:

1 Like

So the good news is: a huge jump forwards is sitting there, waiting for you, ready to surprise you, as soon as you get yourself into one good long conversation.

Yes, a local intensive weekend would be great, and so on - but seriously, you will get a gigantic kick forward the very first time you put yourself into a one-on-one situation where you commit to using no English for 1 hour.

The ideal would be to find a local Welsh speaker - preferably one you like! - but youā€™ll get almost all the benefits from doing it over Skype, too, and there are loads of people on here whoā€™d be willing to help you do thatā€¦ :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just made it! EDIT (Jan 20): I did it a month ago but no badge - Do I have to use the word ā€œdoneā€?

Wel @aran dw i wedi neud e. Took me just over two minutes and I asked fy gwr i to ignore me - the mad woman talking aloud to herself the other side of the table am brecwast! He did, I did and allā€™s well. The only hesitation was ā€˜that I needā€™ a) Iā€™d anghofioā€™d ā€˜angenā€™ and b) it was the ā€˜thatā€™ that threw me. So I thought about a bit and did that one outside of the test conditions, if you see what I mean. Came up with something like ā€˜dynaā€™r peth tiā€™n angenā€™ which may or may not = that is the thing you needā€¦? Suppose I could also have said ā€˜dyna blant i chiā€™. So, pretty please do I merit a funny red speech-mark thingy with dots in - I value my dots, 'sti. :grinning:

6 Likes

Hah! Forgot to just say ā€˜doneā€™ - soā€¦ Done, done, done, done, DONE, DONE, gorffen, finitoā€™d, finished, accomplished, completed, fait, complĆ©tĆ©, achevĆ©, abgeschlossen, drum-roll, tada, :tada: etc. :hourglass:

5 Likes

This should go in the ā€˜you know youā€™re learning Welshā€™ thread. I read ā€˜tadaā€™ and wondered why you were calling your father, Tadaā€™ being a ā€˜petā€™ form of ā€˜Tadā€™!!! :smile: :wink:

1 Like

Gwych - well DONE! :star: :star2:

1 Like

Done it, phew

2 Likes