The '5 Minutes' Test - week 6 **Going PINK** šŸ’® (Badges Awarded Mondays)

O drwch blewyn, ia?! :wink:

2 Likes

Oh, sorry, folks, if your speech bubble has gone to a kind of salmon pinkā€¦ entirely my faultā€¦

If youā€™d like to get it back to a bright, shiny redā€¦

Go here:

The '5 Minutes' Test - recordings

2 Likes

Done it!

1 Like

No way! Messing with clouds, noisy ornotherwise is not for old dragons! Just take way pink and leave me unlabelled!

1 Like

I think Iā€™m with @henddraig here. Never heard of Soundcloud before. Much too scary.
Sue

You can do it, Sue - and it will help your Welsh. Itā€™s a deliberate little taste of the kind of steps our Bootcampers go through - and youā€™ve read about how effective Bootcamp is? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Done it

2 Likes

Itā€™s the technology we donā€™t fancy, not the Welsh!

2 Likes

Oh dear. Well, I might have a look at it.

Exactly! I was happy with computers ten years ago, but technology has moved on and I have not. I am one of those people who own a mobile phone but leave it switched off because I donā€™t know how to use it.
Sue

3 Likes

Even if you donā€™t feel comfortable recording one yourself due to the technology, you can still listen and answer the questions in your own time. Therefore, theyā€™ll still benefit your learning experience. As @aran says, itā€™s very much like bootcamp. Answering the questions enables you to think in Welsh.

Plus, itā€™s a chance to listen to others speak Welsh. :slight_smile:

I also agree with Aran. This isnā€™t about punishing those who are not up-to-date. Youā€™ve all completed the first challenge so why give back your prize?

5 Likes

You are right, @AnthonyCusack. I have been listening to some of the questions and answers and found that they are excellent listening practice.

4 Likes

Perhaps @tatjana would be willing to post one of her very helpful screenshot tutorials to explain how to use voice recorder on computers?

Tatjana has an uncanny ability to break down how to use software into very followable (is that a word?) steps :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you Anthony.

Now, @Betterlatethan, you have many things to record yourself but, of course youā€™d need microphone first. If you have a webcam with already in-built microphone, it will do just fine. Youā€™re not going to do proffessional recording so you donā€™t need too high techy things to do this.

Windows itself has in-build voice recorder on your computer which can record short recordings and (as much as I know as I donā€™t use that too often) you can save them unfortunately just in .waw format. This is actually not that bad either as it is the most raw sound recording youā€™d ever have.

However, Audacity is the most common free software many people use for making their recording and also audio editing so Iā€™d maybe explain some things about this.

First of all you have to install the software which you can find here. So, Step 1: Download and install the software. In the mean time Iā€™ll prepare the tutorial for you and put it online but if youā€™re in a hurry Audacity has its own tutorial too which could be find here.

6 Likes

Thanks @tatjana as I make clear in another thread, I am not willing to make efforts to learn techniques i really donā€™t need to know! Not just for one exercise.

Thatā€™s fine. No one is saying you HAVE to do it, but this is taking advantage of modern technology to offer another way of practising Welsh for those who want to have a go. Itā€™s a shame for SSiW not to use something thatā€™s readily available, but for those that donā€™t feel comfortable using it - pink is a lovely colour :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you, @tatjana. Tiā€™n mor garedig. I hope that is more or less right for ā€œYou are so kind.ā€ I am just on the challenge where it is introduced so it came just in time.

Well, I have found a microphone that I can plug in. (My screen was second-hand about 8 years ago so it has no modern conveniences like speakers or a webcam.) I have Audacity installed. I can see how simple recording and playback work. I have even found the option to save a project as a .mp3 file.

Please donā€™t go the the trouble of writing a tutorial for my benefit. I shall be fine if I make up my mind to try it. If it was a one-off then I wouldnā€™t bother, but I suspect that there is more to come.

I didnā€™t come here to have my IT competence challenged, but it is all good education.

Thank you again Tatjana.

Sue

7 Likes

Just have in mind that one learns his/her entire life and that Iā€™m not among the youngest here and surely not the techy generation in deed but when I need things I learn them and Iā€™m happy to pass my knowledge to the others if and when I can.

Iā€™m glad that you donā€™t find the software too hard to use so Iā€™m expecting some recordings soon. :slight_smile:

You wonā€™t be able only to record with Audacity, but also cut, copy, paste, trim, stretch, sound-effect playing around etc. If youā€™d feel like just explore a bit and youā€™ll find out that Audacity can be both - simple and a bit more complicated at one go what just depends on what you try to do or acheave with the software.

Hwyl!
Tatjana

2 Likes

Exactly. Itā€™s all about motivation. I shall have to make a recording now. You have shamed me into it. But not tonight.

Sue

1 Like

Well, due to being extreamly tired each day I doubt youā€™d hear any recordings from me for a while. Iā€™d answer questions maybe, but as I could understand, it all is only for red baddgers and mine wonā€™t get red so easily as Iā€™m not in the mood for many things these days either.

But Iā€™m really looking forward to hear your recording(s). Might be I learn something on the way of listening. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, I have made and posted a recording. It actually seems to work. Thank you, @tatjana for your help and encouragement.
Sue

5 Likes