The Advent Calendar Challenge

Day 13. Halfway there! More cycling club chat and a festive meet up on a very cold ride. Tonight is Dosbarth Nos so another couple of hours of Welsh speaking and some Christmas food. I’m taking a quiche…no idea what that is in Welsh!

Addition.
Once I got home I had another 40 minutes chat with Dave D. Diolch Dave…catch up again in a Hangout soon.

1 Like

“Tarten sawrus” according to the Geiriadur yr Academi, but I can’t really imagine anyone saying anything other than “quiche” :smile:

1 Like

Sounds like some kind of dinosaur!!

3 Likes

:rofl::rofl:

Day 14: Thanks to @emma-hudson who took the plunge, dived in and chatted for 45 minutes. Nice to meet a fellow mountain walker and cross-country skier. Diolch Emma.

1 Like

Day 15: Our cycling club Christmas dinner was postponed due to bad weather. We were due to eat at the Ponderosa Cafe at the top.of the Horseshoe Pass near Llangollen, but any rain (or snow) was likely to freeze.
But it did mean that my planned Welsh chat with our Welsh speaking riders didn’t take place. So today’s Welsh was limited to incidental conversations at the gym and one quick Slack call. Imagine being disappointed with 15 minutes chat…but at least I still did talk to people in Welsh so, I guess it still counts.

4 Likes

Day 16: an hour chatting with @JohnYoung about, among other things, trips to Newcastle following the Welsh coastline! Diolch John.

3 Likes

Day 17. Saith Seren and the Menter Iaith Can Carolau Cymraeg. So not only chat but 10 Christmas Carols and festive songs in Welsh…and I met someone who recognised me from 6th Form College! He had a better memory than me but he remembered that in 1977 I wasn’t a Welsh speaker and was extremely pleased I had learned Welsh.

4 Likes

Day 18: quick chat with @vikta before heading out to choir practice/ Christmas food. There’s a few Welsh speakers in the choir so I will chat with them over our ‘bring your own’ feast.

2 Likes

Day 19: Hangout with Lea, Karen, Ali Cov, Dave D and Vikta. Tonight’s key word were festive;
Uchelwydd - Misteltoe
Gwydd - Goose
Twrci - Turkey
And my personal favorite
Ysgewyll - sprouts, as in “dw i casau ysgewyll”.

Diolch pawb

1 Like

Just last night, Tuesday, our local SSIW group had gŵydd and gwŷdd distinguished for us. Gŵydd is goose, Gwŷdd is wood, trees, timber, used rarely.

1 Like

Hopefully they don’t get mixed up at y Cigydd!

1 Like

Let me just correct that for you - “dw i’n dwlu ar ysgewyll” :rofl:

2 Likes

Day 20: Not what I had planned! Missed my connection to Lea…we both had a busy schedule and out free times didn’t coincide. But fortunately my bike ride helped thanks to Gareth, Medwyn, Gwyneth and Gareth …all Welsh speakers and all happy to chat in Welsh as we cycled out into the Cheshire countryside. …
plus a few incidental chats in and after our choir Carol singing.

4 Likes

Day 21: diolch to the very lovely Bronwen for today’s chat.

3 Likes

Day 22: a ride (after far too much wine) up to the Ponderosa Cafe, Horseshoe Pass, Llangollen for the Cycling UK club Christmas dinner…a chat with our Welsh speakers before a dash home to drinks in town with North Wales Crusaders fans and players…then a chat with the very patient Fiona C, who put up with me posponing my early afternoon chat. Diolch Fiona and hopefully I didn’t sound too much under the influence!

3 Likes

Day 23: lots of last minute rushing round to get ready for Christmas…so very limited Welsh speaking today. I had to deliver a t-shirt to a Welsh speaking friend so we had a brief chat and exchanged Christmas greetings.

2 Likes

Day 24: After some.problems with the technology I had a very enjoyable chat with @siaronjames on my last day of the Advent calendar challenge.

So I did manage to chat in Welsh everyday with sombody - either on Slack, in Saith Seren, in a Hangout, in Dosbarth Nos, in my cycling club but also in the market, delivering a t-shirt or singing with our choir.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to chat. Diolch yn fawr

Nadolig llawen I pawb.

11 Likes

Congratulations on completing the challenge; it was great being part of it, and here’s to your next Cymraeg driven (ad)venture. Nadolig llawen a blwydden newydd hapus iawn.

2 Likes

Diolch Vikta. Great fun and glad you were part of it. Nadolig llawen i ti

1 Like