The Diolch! Thank you! thread

Each time I come back to the ‘Diolch’ thread, I have a moment of thinking ‘argh, can’t think of…’ - and then I realise that I’ve got enough Diolchs to keep me going for the rest of my life…:slight_smile:

So today, extremely belatedly, it’s diolch to @CatrinLliarJones - who took me from being a ‘get by okay’ kind of Welsh speaker and made me someone who lives his entire life (this forum excepted!) in the medium of Welsh.

She’s given me back the heritage I’d lost, given me children growing up with that heritage as a birthright, given me a home where the language is woven into the very air itself.

It’s always hugely emotional for me when learners tell us that the language has changed their lives.

For me, it was a combination of the language and Catrin Lliar - changing and improving my life beyond any recognition.

Diolch o galon i ti, cyw :heart: :heart_decoration:

How about you? Anyone helped you recently? Give them a diolch and let them know… :slight_smile:

16 Likes

Although this thread is actually on the “Welsh side” of the forum, a huge thanks to @nalismalark who helped me fix a very subtle, but nasty bug in the SSiSpanish app that affected in app purchases. Muchas Gracias!

4 Likes

This is totally (and I mean really totally) offtopic but every time I read about SSi apps I come to the very same idea (and that’s many times though). How about building an app which would unite all languages into one little nice thingy on which you could learn whatever SSi produced language. Remember, we’re about to roll out as many languages as possible in the (not so distant as @aran says) future and are you really about to build so many apps as languages? You’re hardworking people, but I can hardly imagine having 100+ languages out and as many apps too. :slight_smile:

(Just a thought).

And on the diolch topic: Reading your book Aran and this little Diolch post here and hearing you speaking Welsh @CatrinLliarJones really made wonders already in just Welsh part of things because if I listen to you speaking, I’d never even think of that you once lost the language and just got it back again after years. This is amazing! She must be amazing in deed!

2 Likes

Yup - that’s certainly a good idea! There were good reasons at the time why it made sense to proceed with separate Welsh and Spanish apps. But going forward, a single app to rule them all makes all kinds of sense.

3 Likes

Precioussssssss…I shall await the beta testing :wink:

4 Likes

Ooo, ja … so shall I! :slight_smile:

I’m going to add to my first. Another thing I should add about Emma helping me and why it means so much, is that, although fluent, Emma has always had a complex about her Welsh. Feeling much more comfortable in English (her Dad is not a Welsh speaker so the family language was English) it has been an effort to return to Welsh. She went to Glantaf, a Welsh school, but has often felt uncomfortable with her standard of Welsh. She herself calls it “chav Welsh”.

Despite all of the above she has been extremely helpful and supportive to me. We haven’t yet changed the language of sitting on the sofa to Welsh. We have largely changed our language outside of the house to Welsh and most communication (text) is in Welsh.

So I would like to strengthen the diolch. Emma has pushed herself out of her comfort zone to help me.

6 Likes

Awwwwwwwwww, diolch! Caru chdi. :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Except for the ‘multiple points of contact’ thing…

Maybe we can figure out some clever way to have a ‘rule them all’ app which is fed into by individual apps… hmmm… maybe it’s as simple as one ‘rule them all’, but published separately for each language…

100(0)+??? I’m not sure … :slight_smile:

I had in mind 1 app where you can just choose a language which you want to learn. Something like “DuoLingo” way or so (not like flashcards but the way how you can have all languages in one profile and choose among them which you will be into learning “today”) :slight_smile:

I’m sure you all understand what I think.

Well … what about using our profiles on the page (not forum) a bit more efficiently for the purpose of app?

(I think we need app brainstorm topic :slight_smile: )

About 7000, I think you mean… :slight_smile:

It will depend a bit on how things work out with spreading the word… if we find (which I think we’ll learn inside the first 20 or so) that having separate apps doesn’t get us much extra traffic, then yes to simplification… but if we’re still struggling, it might be quite important to have stuff that shows in search results for particular languages. Hmmm… I wonder if the Duolingo app shows if you search for ‘learn Welsh’ in the Google Play Store or wherever iOS stuff happens?

I’m thinking that having all your languages in one app would make it hugely complex and probably require a LOT of memory on whatever platform you’re using it on.

1 Like

Here you go …

Whatever other you type, Duolingo is before all, even before Memrise. [quote=“sionned, post:254, topic:7601”]
and probably require a LOT of memory on whatever platform you’re using it on.
[/quote]

Can’t apps somehow just coordinate what you already have on the page? what actually means it doesn’t require such amount of memory at all. I can’t imagine one would learn all “7000+” languages at once.

1 Like

I put “learn Welsh” into the Apple App Store search. SSiW came up 49th :frowning2: Duolingo and Memrise did not show up, at least before I got tired of scrolling.

2 Likes

Diolch am bwtcamp a diolch am popeth!

I Believe that I am have not been alone in wondering why SSiW works really well whilst other language learning methods work less well. After bwtcamp I think i have the answer. SSiW doesn’t just teach people to speak Welsh, it also teaches about cymuned / community.
As human beings having a community to live and learn in really helps a lot and SSiW delivers this in spades. Firstly there is this forum, where we can share stories, ideas and there is always a host of friendly voices to help answer our questions about Welsh. The forum also guides us to places and events where we can use our Welsh. And then there is bwtcamp, living an entire week in an enclosed community, where we experience a deep immersion into the Welsh language with a merry band of fellow travellers. Thus we learn more about Welsh and the huge importance of community.

Often non-Welsh speakers wonder why people go to trouble of learning this language when we could use English, Welsh isn’t needed to get by. Yet Welsh speakers, when gathered together speak mainly in Welsh and it is not until you have lived a week in Welsh that you truly get why this is.

Bwtcamp not only allowed me to experience what living in another language was like and that I was not merely able to survive and thrive in Welsh, it opened up a whole new world both inside myself and in my social self. A community of language that is supportive. Wherever I went in Caernarfon or encounter a group of Welsh speakers elsewhere they are almost always welcoming and happy to speak Welsh with me, because i am becoming a part of the community. I’m a member of many communities, defined by my interests such as: biology, music, football, religion, politics. Yet language communities transcend these specific communities.

I loved bwtcamp because it was living in an enclosed small community, just like when I lived with small groups of people, cut off from the internet and the wider world in jungles. Both intense field scientific research communities and language immersion have very much in common, yet language users are more diverse than us crazy people who like being wet and muddy, bitten by mozzies and worse all day and coem back to camp having to cook everything over an open fire, just to live all day in that amazing world. Just as bwtcamp was wonderful to live in another language for a whole week. I am little jealous of the folk in Caernarfon of being able to predominantly live in the medium of Welsh, it’s a different world and one that i really like and just get now why people do it.

I’m still not quite there, my brain was so so tired, people had to explain things to me several times before I understood them. However I if i were to live in a Welsh speaking community i would soon find living in Welsh less tiring. So the big thing was simply learning what it is like to live in a Welsh speaking community and that was able to do it and found that i liked it.

Sorry for being gushy and sentimental, but bwtcamp is/was that amazing. So, just a huge diolch yn fawr iawn/ thank you kindly to Aran & Catrin, my fellow bwtcampwrs and just everyone in the SSiW community and indeed the wider Welsh speaking community.

9 Likes

Since this is the Diolch thread, in order to stay on topic… Diolch @AnnaC for checking this! I’m embarrassed to say that I haven’t looked at the ranking in ages, and Anna’s report made me realize that I’d done the keywords all wrong. I’ve just fixed it, so hopefully we’ll get higher on that list!

Unfortunately, Apple weights keywords from the app name very highly, so the app “Learn Welsh” is probably going to unavoidably get top hit if you search “learn Welsh.” Unfortunately, I named the app SaySomethigninWelsh, which doesn’t do at all well as a source of keywords. (there is a separate list of keywords that you can specify in the app store listing, and this is what I fixed, but the app name still carries more weight).

3 Likes

I was just answering Aran’s question…I’m glad my bit of data was useful. I would think that the ranking would be driven by number of downloads, but I’ve no idea how the whole system actually works. I’m guessing that changing the name to add spaces either isn’t possible or else causes a whole world of troubles…

1 Like

I’d like to say Diolch yn fawr iawn to all the people, who made my last holiday in Wales and Isle of Mann so great.
On IoM it was @adriancain and Lindsay, a very nice Manx-learner who comes originally from Cardiff. She was happy to speak Welsh with me and gave me lifts in her car to many places. Lindsay, you wanted to try SSiW to get your Welsh fluent again, if you did: Diolch yn fawr iawn am bopeth.
In Wales: a big Thank you to all the people on the party, but especially to @ali and Phil, @Deborah-SSi, @BronwenLewis, @Isata and always the biggest Thank you to @maynard.
Sometimes friends ask me why I go to holidays in “England” every year, after 6 years I should know all that’s interesting. All I can tell them is, I go there because I met friends there, old friends and new ones, very nice, open-minded people who happen to be learning Welsh.

9 Likes

Always great to catch up with you @brigitte!

1 Like

as gura mie ayd @brigitte. Hee’m oo reesht ayns Mannin as er Skype, foddee!

2 Likes