The Diolch! Thank you! thread

Oh Tatjana, you make me blushing. :blush: Thank you very much for your kind words.
Speaking to you on Saturday evening is always a pleasure for me, and I get at least as much as you back from our Skype chats. It’s mostly because of the Skype chats with you and also with @maynard, that I’m completely confident, when speaking Welsh ( not always with correct grammar, but anyway…).
The checking was very short and a pleasure, not a work. (with the new SsiBorg it is no longer necessary :cry:) And what you do, for all those members who have technical problems is much more than I ever did.
Your perseverance in learning Welsh, even when you thought you couldn’t succeed is an incentive for many people here.
So the Thank you is well appreciated, croeso mawr.
And Diolch yn fawr iawn i ti. Tan yfory.

4 Likes

Just a quick word of thanks to @theresacorbett .

I know you sometimes find learning Welsh quite difficult and you admit that there are times during meet-ups where you can lose the thread, but thank you so much for sticking at it. At this Wednesday’s group in the pub it all came together and we had a proper Welsh conversation for almost an hour. Not one of those conversations that learners have about learning and all the words they do and don’t know, but a proper pub chat about families and holidays and mundane day-to-day life. This is where you start getting the rewards for the work you’ve put in. Thanks for all the effort. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Awesome work, Theresa! Llongyfarchiadau mawr! :star: :star2:

1 Like

Diolch and thank you Rob for giving me the time and opportunity :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Diolch i @siaronjames am fy helpu i brynu a ffeindio DVD o Popeth yn Gymraeg. Mae’n ddrwg 'da fi, wyliais i’r DVD dim ond nawr heddi; joies i yn fawr iawn hefyd, diolch!

Thank you @siaronjames for your help buying, and for finding hidden DVDs of Popeth yn Gymraeg. I’ve only just watched this today, sorry; although I really enjoyed it! Thanks! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

“To be continued next week …” I was written at the end of last (as at the end of every) post however I obviously forgot to tell you which “next week” this will be. It was meant literally next week, but unfortunately it has been for a while when I have written the last time here. Quite some Wednesdays already passed by, however I didn’t forget about this thread and about thanking to those who were the most helpful and inspiring to me. But first a bit of replica to the answer on previous of my Diolch posts …

You know very well, what my grammar is; many times very confused so you have to think a bit what I wanted to say at all so I know you’re speaking brilliantly.

And now, let’s continue my journey with twelfth thank you already. As you see we had a warp jump from the people outside of SSiW to those being on here but that’s how my learning history went. One day I was out there all lost and in search for the perfect thing and the next day I came on here … Here were many people who helped me with my learning and one of them was @Deborah-SSi.

I remember when I came on here for the first time and cruised around the forum, reading posts I admired Dee the most. I’ve read something about her being to the linguistic congress (or meeting or something like that) and the first question floating in my mind was “How many languages this woman must speak?” And yes, how many languages Dee really speaks? I was thrilled with the fact that she’s the one who sends newsletters out, and am happy to read her posts as she always has so positive attitude and thinking. She never fails to inspire no matter what’s happening to her herself. Here are many things to thank you for, Dee, from inspiring and informative newsletters all the way to encouraging posts on the forum. Two or three brief chats we had (one on skype and (I believe) two “live” at the bootcamp) are one of those never forgotten experiences of using my Welsh in real conversations which are priceless for learners. You halped me with my learning a lot more than you can imagine.

Diolch o galon Dee!

1 Like

Diolch yn fawr @tatjana. I’m still just an aspiring polyglot, often dabbling in different languages and always getting sidetracked by new ones, but very glad I stuck it out with Cymraeg and happy to help others along the way.

3 Likes

Just a short diolch yn fair to everyone at SSiW for this course and all the help available.
I have finally reached Challenge 15, and feel that at least some of the vocabulary is starting to sink in, a little like osmosis.
I am in my sixties and have never tried to learn a language before.
My daughter and I have bought a holiday cottage in beautiful Wales as a going concern.
We couldn’t even pronounce the address.
It seemed so insulting to our Welsh speaking neighbours, and I determined that I would learn the language.
Thank you all.

9 Likes

Sorry, should be “diolch yn fawr” of course. English auto correct.

3 Likes

oh @jessieskinner you reminded me of when a friend. from Gower was in a Convalescent Hospital after a stroke. It was teaching her how to do normal tasks again. She had worked in England and still had friends there. One decided to visit and got as far as the Bus station probably in Swansea. She looked at the paper with the address and asked for, using English spelling, ’ jelly nud ’ . Blank face met this. She showed the paper. “Oh!”’ with dawning understanding, “You want Gellinudd!” That sort of thing is very common. One lovely man, asked where he and his wife had been that day, gave an answer including a very rude word. We ended up checking the map! I wish I could remember now where they had actually been, but I hurriedly explained how to say it!
p.s. Welcome, Croeso to the Forum!

What a terrific attitude, Jessie - good luck, and keep going! :slight_smile: :star2:

2 Likes

[quote=“jessieskinner, post:290, topic:7601”]
My daughter and I have bought a holiday cottage in beautiful Wales as a going concern.
We couldn’t even pronounce the address.
It seemed so insulting to our Welsh speaking neighbours, and I determined that I would learn the language.
Thank you all.[/quote]
Good for you! Where is your cottage? (Just curious.)

1 Like

In the mountains just above Blaenau Ffestiniog.

1 Like

As I was born on a farm in a part of Essex that is now largely built over, I have first hand experience of new people moving into an area and drastically changing it.
There is no way I would want to do that in Wales.
I must adapt and learn, not exploit.
My Welsh neighbour at the cottage says she will help me with my Welsh next time I am there, which will probably be for a month or so in the autumn.
Thank you again for helping me.

5 Likes

I hope I haven’t said anything indelicate.
Thanks for the laugh.

I hope I haven’t said anything indelicate.

On the contrary, Your posts have been sensitive and positive and interesting. :smile:

2 Likes

Ohh, wonderful location! >envy< :blush:

1 Like

You certainly haven’t said anything rude on here! And learning Welsh will help you make sure you never do! But do not fret, when a person unused to the alphabet and place names of Wales makes a mistake like that it gives everyone a laugh and just leads to someone like your neighbour giving you a few hints! :wink:

1 Like

We’re lucky to have people like you moving here - diolch yn fawr… :star: :star2:

2 Likes

The views of the Moelwyns are spectacular.
The cottage belonged to the sculptor David Nash, who still lives and works in Blaenau, at one time.

1 Like