The Diolch! Thank you! thread

And another thankyou to once again @Richmountart who met up with me for a chat in corwen today and slapped a pile of dosh in my hand (honestly i was surprised he was prepared to pay so much to speak with me…you fluent types may be able to charge double).

Also to mamddraig, i mean @henddraig who has been a constant support whilst my natural mother has been in hospital, and even vets dates for me! :wink:

2 Likes

I do NOT ‘vet’ dates! Impossible from a different country, and I wouldn’t anyway

I wasn’t being serious :wink:

1 Like

Is that the correct word order :wink:

Cheers J.P.

4 Likes

Friend of mine - excellent tutor!! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Apologies for coming so late to the party. I haven’t been doing much on the forum lately, as a very dear friend (and proud Welshman) passed away from ALS last week.

I did want to express my thanks here, though, too.

I want to thank my friend Sarah Graham, who is not on this forum but introduced me to SSiW when I was despairing of finding any good way to study from Canada. She has Skyped with me weekly in Welsh. I remember practicing what I was going to say in my head before that first Skype and feeling exhausted after just 5 minutes. This week, we happily rattled on about programming (we’re both programmers), and I couldn’t believe it when I looked up and found more than half an hour had passed.

I’d also like to thank Sarah’s first-language Welsh speaking boyfriend Meurig who told me a few months ago that I sounded “natural” speaking Welsh and that he thought I was “eitha rhugl” (fairly fluent). I literally cried when he said that, because I really didn’t think I was that good.

One of the reasons I am improving all the time is due to my lovely new friend @Novem who I met on the SSiW forums and Skypes with me weekly in Welsh also. I enjoy every conversation we have, and we’ve talked about so many subjects - her school work, walking tours, earthquakes in Italy and tornados in Canada - I never know where our conversation is going to take us.

Finally, I want to thank @Aran and @CatrinLliarJones and the rest of the team and forum family at SSiW. There is no possible way I could have gotten to the level I’m at, while living in the depths of Canada, if it weren’t for you. Beyond the “oh so practical” lessons, through you I learned that I could listen to BBC Radio Cymru and watch S4C online. Your encouragement in the forums has meant more to me than you can imagine.

8 Likes

For sure, the team who set up SSIW. For a couple of years, I carried a pocket sized ‘BBC Learn Welsh’ grammar guide with me wherever I went. I ploughed through the lessons, knowing that Welsh is a very beautiful language - but I couldn’t speak it. When I came across SSIW, that all changed. From the word go, I was making sentences that I knew I’d be able to use.

My ‘local’ group, CACEN, for the friendships and opportunities to practise my growing Welsh with such warm and interesting people.

And diolch to the lovely person in Siop Inc in Aberystwyth who, a few years ago, patiently helped me to make some purchases in Welsh and then complimented me on my pronunciation. I thanked her and proudly told her that I was learning through SSIW and left the bookshop walking on air. In the early days, especially, words of encouragement mean an awful lot and are likely to be remembered long after they’re spoken.

5 Likes

Oh, no kidding?! I haven’t seen Rob in years - if you could tell him I was thinking of him/thanking him, next time you talk, I’d really appreciate it… :slight_smile:

That’s such a lovely thing to hear - diolch o galon i ti, Margaret! :sunny: :smiley:

Oh, well done them - yes, that kind of stuff can make SO much difference… :slight_smile: And thank you for your lovely words… :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Todays thank you goes to @hewrop. I don’t want to say exactly why as it was a private conversation where he commented on my poem.

And same for @henddraig (mamddraig).

Positive comments and encouragement are what this forum is about.

(But i do worry i may miss someone out)

6 Likes

Na finnau chwaith. unfortunately! :confused:

3 Likes

I’d like to thank Rob too! For being a great Welsh tutor, for explaining things with enthusiasm and an obvious love of the language, and for always being willing to engage in discussion well away from the confines of the course book. Classes were never dull (well, except at times when we followed the course book. Pellach - it even sounds like a swear word!)

4 Likes

Oh, if you’re in touch with him, do tell him he’s getting a range of thank yous in here! :heart:

2 Likes

So it’s Monday again. I really want to try and keep my thank yous going for as long as I can.

Today: my soon to be mother-in-law

So, from the very beginning of my learning Welsh she’s talked at me in Welsh. She’s sat through my stuttering, my tripping, my complete loss of the plot (in sentences I mean). She’s been extremely supportive and helped me “not to worry”. Her name is Avril and we joke that she does speak Welsh she speaks “Avrileg” (its like Wenglish but a bit different). She really has helped me see through my pursuit of speaking Welsh. Don’t get me wrong, I’m still learning loads and I think and hope I always will be, but I definitely feel like a Welsh speaker now and she has been a massive part of that.

Felly, diolch o galon!

11 Likes

Lovely to hear praise for a mother-in-law! :star2:

Don’t forget to let her know that she got a hat-tip…:wink:

2 Likes

My Welsh-speaking neighbour, Alun, is endlessly patient with my stuttering attempts at speaking Welsh. For a piece of home-made cake, he’s always willing to check (or even do) my Welsh homework. I know we’re encouraged to ‘share’ our thank-yous, but I don’t really want him to know how often I used his name in vain in class, cheeking my lovely tutor with, ‘That’s not right! My neighbour says…’

Where would we learners be without the almost universal encouragement of native Welsh speakers? I don’t know how anyone could resist learning Welsh, surrounded by such warm, positive feedback. Diolch to you all, but especially Alun!

7 Likes

Ah, yes, I’ve had learners like that…:wink:

What a lovely post… :sunny:

1 Like

Haha, I do know what you mean Bronwen! “That’s not what…said” often said in Welsh class!

Avril was over the moon to get a diolch! She even phoned Emma to tell her!

4 Likes

Ah, it was all a cunning Brownie Points plan…:wink:

2 Likes

She’s popping over later and her bara brith is second to none…a bit like comedy, timing is everything!

2 Likes

Sigh. You mean, timing is…

Everything.

:wink:

5 Likes