The Diolch! Thank you! thread

Weles i be ti di neud yna!

I see what you’ve done there!

2 Likes

Like me?

On a couple of occasions, I’ve posted on the Duolingo sentence discussions something along the lines of, “Well, I learned how to say this on SSiW as ‘…’ – would that also be acceptable here?”

Sometimes it’s added, sometimes it’s rejected for being too colloquial :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ah, yes, that sounds plausible!.. :smiley:

2 Likes

Never knew this exists at all or I thouht it’s just for language developers and not for “noobs” like me. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Do you use Duolingo through the iPad app? In that case, it doesn’t exist :cry:

Sentence discussions are only available through the Android app or through the website.

And I’ve found them extremely useful – a little bit like the forums here: when you don’t understand why a particular sentence is the way it is, you can open the discussion for that sentence and see whether someone has explained it already, or if not, ask a question yourself.

2 Likes

I’m using Android and website but I never saw something like that. It might be I misslooked it all.

Well, but on the other hand … I’m not that much of an expert to discuss such things. I’d do that only if it’d be Slovene course as I’m Slovene native speaker. All the rest I don’t grand the permition to myself to discuss as I’m mistaken too often.

2 Likes

Just found this thread- what an excellent idea.

My thanks go to Jon Sais. A few years ago I had a Facebook message from someone I’d never met or heard of. It said, approximately, 'I see you have welsh as one of your interests listed on your Facebook page. Do you speak it?? I wrote back and said i didn’t. ‘In which case, he said, you might be interested in this’ which was a link to SSIW. I had been trying on and off to get started with learning and it was the key to the whole thing. If it hadn’t been for Jon Sais, I would never have found SSIW, never have started to learn the language, never have started up the Cacen group in South East England and never have met the people who make up this fantastic fun and generally very lovely group of people. Thank you Jon, I will be forever in your debt for so many reasons.

And of course, none of it would have happened if it hadn’t been for the Fab Four, so Diolch o galon i chi i gyd am eich gwaith caled yn ystod y flynyddoedd

9 Likes

Bit late for this week’s Diolch (and I should do this tomorrow since I have an exam tomorrow morning I haven’t studied for and a lot of homework to finish before it but whatever :smile:)

Anyway, this week my “Diolch” goes to @seren :slight_smile: Diolch for talking to me on Skype, it’s always been very interesting and easy to talk to you! Diolch for your support on the forum, it really means a lot to me, and for making me speak Italian. I’m noticing I’m starting to forget it a bit so it’s good for me to use it every now and then. :smile: (I’m sure a month of immersion and generally just reading books in it would fix it but I’m too interested in Welsh at the moment)

Oh, and your pictures are really beautiful!

8 Likes

What a lovely story! I had no idea you were part of Jon’s long-running quest to win back the lost lands…:wink: :star: :star2:

And diolch o waelod calon i ti, Mark, am bob dim ti wedi ac yn dal i’w wneud… :heart:

I’m delighted to hear that two such lovely people are Skyping… :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Diolch o galon, @Novem! You’ve been a source of inspiration to me for a while now, and I’ve enjoyed our conversations a lot - in Welsh and Italian too - and I’m very glad to hear you find them pleasant too:) Whenever you are free, I would really like to speak again:)

And I would like - again - to thank all the people here, especially @aran, @Iestyn, @CatrinLliarJones - for all the love and energy and time you’re putting into SSI and the forum. It really changes people’s lives for the better.

8 Likes

Sadly not, I’ve dropped out of formal education for the time being and am just hanging around the streets causing trouble…

3 Likes

Typical Welsh speaker…:wink:

3 Likes

YAY!

I love this one! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s Wednesday again and so here’s my this week’s Diolch to one of those people who somehow travelled along with me on my learning traill. But first (as always) some replies, replicas and what’s more to it to some of your posts (which are not neccessarly connected with me at all). :slight_smile: So, let’s begin:

Thank you @BronwenLewis. The pleasure was all mine. I was thrilled with how much Cymraeg and how good you speak even then and knowing you once visited my little country added to the great mix. If I halped you gaining confidence at that time and managed to ensure you that yur Cymraeg is more then good and you’re prepared to go out in the wild, then the happines is all mine. We should talk again at some point. And, thank you for opening your home to me. If I’ll ever come to Cymru again I’ll make sure to at least pop in to say hello and have a little sgwrs with you if not the other. Well, you never know what life throws at you and my last year was really pure evidence that this is true. :slight_smile:

@margaretwerdermann thank you for yuor encouragement you are giving to us all. If any of my posts was at least a bit helpful to you, I’m happy.

In Slovenia. :slight_smile: where there’s no native Welsh speakers (to my knowledge). :slight_smile:

My third thank you goes to one of my most tireless followers on Twitter - passionate Welshman and admirer of my little country Slovenia - Siôn Jobbins, writter of some books such as Phenomenon of Welshness, The Welsh National Anthem and more, and many more articles and one of those who helped to enable gaining Welsh identity on the Internet with .cymru domains.

We met on twitter in March 2013 through one (kind of) little quarelling about how Welsh people should do more for their language and how Slovenians were and are in practically the same situation and since then we have quick tweet chats in Cymraeg or English (it depends) now and then. He mostly allerts me if there’s something important going on in connection with my country and Cymru, and he was the one who allerted me to Slovenian Celtic Languages student Jan in Aberystwyth about who I’ve written on here some time ago.

I thank him for being such passionate admirer of my little country Slovenia but also the person who encouraged me many times to go on with my learning especially at very beginning of my learning journey when I hardly started with SSiW. But the most of all I’m really thankful for our breef meeting at the National Eisteddfod last year where he was the one who spotted me and started conversation - all in Cymraeg. I surely didn’t speak Cymraeg as good as I do now (despite after-bootcamp effect), but he wasn’t even a bit willing to switch into English for what I am most thankful. Thank you Siôn for everything you (unknowingly maybe) did for me. With tweet chats in Cymraeg, with allerting me to happenings, with making me aware you’re reading my tweets and answering them if the occassion is such, you’ve made me more willing to put more hard work into my learning when I was almost determined to quit. Thank you for speaking with me and thank you for following me on the social media. It really means a lot to me.

To be continued next week …

5 Likes

I have a pre-Monday diolch! Thought about saving it for Monday but this’ll make me find another one.

I work as a physiotherapist in paediatrics. A few of my patients are from Welsh speaking families. One set of parents in particular have been so supportive about my Welsh. I had a conversation about learning Welsh. From then Dad hasn’t switched to English unless there’s some really technical stuff. Then a couple of appointments in Mum brought him instead of Dad and, straight away was in Welsh (she’s a teaching in a Welsh Primary). So today, we had our 4th appointment completely in Welsh.

So a massive thank you to them for their patience!

9 Likes

Great story - and from personal experience, I’ll bet they were delighted at being able to use Welsh, rather than needing to be patient… :star: :star2:

2 Likes

Diolch Aran.

Using Welsh with patients, well just anywhere really, has definitely given me a new insight when speaking to patients and families. It’s that extra awareness of having to use mutually intelligible language. I definitely feel I can empathise more with our non-English first language patients too.

So for that last part; diolch to the fab four and SSiW! You’ve not only made me a Welsh speaker, you’ve made me a better human :smile:

8 Likes

I think we’ve come along for the ride as you’ve been making yourself a better human - which is an enormous privilege for us… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

YES! YES! YES!

Oh, I’m so happy for you @AnthonyCusack! I know how good you speak Welsh so this is only one confirmation more that I was right saying that you’re a good (no … great!) Welsh speaker!

Da iawn ti! :slight_smile:

wooohooo! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Diolch Tatjana! Everyday is a school day, still enjoying learning!

2 Likes