SSi Forum

The intro song - 'Wela i efo llygad bach i'

Nailed it! Very interesting to hear that you got to it on Challenge 17, I would have expected it possibly to take a little longer… :star2:

I’ve been supplementing with other sources!
I sort of knew ‘wela’ was ‘gweld’ anyway from school Welsh and I knew llygaid was eye because I sing Myfanwy to my little boy and I read a translation of that a while back.
As soon as I grasped that ‘efo’ is with (never heard that before, being full on hwntw) the bit that says ‘rhwybeth yn dechrau efo (gyda) chi’ just made sense to me. That’s definitely come from SSiW though, the familiarity with the spoken patterns and everyday words like rhwybeth and dechrau.

Edit: That ‘spoken’ familiarity has been a real game changer for me.
I’d been pottering away with Duolingo for a while, and I still find that useful in terms of traditional ‘vocab’ teaching (cat, dog, shirt, shoes, etc) but it’s only through the revelation of SSiW that I suddenly experienced this feeling of being able to sometimes ‘think’ conversationally in Welsh.

Delighted to hear that, and well done you - all your hard work clearly starting to pay off :slight_smile:

Great listening to it through head phones, didn’t realise how good a song it is, but still trying to get Coffi du out of my head lol

Loosely music related, has anyone managed to get through level 1 challenge 21 without breaking out into a rendition of the clapping song? I’m lost in an ear worm after ‘my mother told me’ and I haven’t a clue what the Cymraeg is after that!
:slight_smile:

My first lessons in Welsh pronunciation came from a wonderfully clear rendering of Myfanwy sung by. Bryn Terfel. Unforgettable.