The 'Magic Silver Bullets' thread

@aran [quote=“aran, post:40, topic:8744, full:true”]
Lovely to see this kind of passion!
[/quote]
Honestly, it’s your fault, Aran. :slight_smile: Your passion for Cymraeg is immense and infectious. After reading Some Sex and a Hill and then drinking 3 bottles of beer, I wanted to get involved to somehow make a difference, to correct a wrong. There’s plenty of “wrong” in the United States and I help when & where I can, but learning Cymraeg is personal. A poke in the Sais. Who knew learning a language would be a little bit rebellious?

Excited to see what is rolled out! If a person in the east coast of the US can help out, let me know. I just found out about The North American Festival of Wales in Alexandria, Virginia occurring in August. That’s 2.5 hours from where I live, so I’m going to meet other like minded people and make connections.

5 Likes

I’m not sure if you’re aware of Cymdeithas Madog - the North American Welsh Studies Institute? We host a week-long Welsh language learning course in a different North American city every year. We just wrapped up our course this summer - next year, we’ll be learning and teaching in Calgary! :slight_smile:

Madog.org (website is going to be redesigned soon)
Facebook.com/cymdeithasmadog

5 Likes

Wow! Very cool. Thank you! I was not aware of Cymdeithas Madog, but I am now and have bookmarked the site.

1 Like

Delawarejones – I just noticed your comments here about attending NAFOW – terrific! Gwych! I’m one of the local organizers, so I will very much look forward to seeing you here in Alexandria, Virginia (in the DC suburbs) in (yipes!) less than two weeks. I’m Diane – come up and say hi!

By the way, if you are ever in the DC area on the first Saturday of every month, we do have a Welsh conversation meetup…:slight_smile:

2 Likes

“To live, to love, to learn, to leave a legacy”—that’s one of my favourite quotes from Stephen Covey which sums up for many people what it takes to be truly happy and experience both a sense of purpose and fulfilment in life.

Any one, or combination of these can be the “Magic Silver Bullet” a person needs as the motivation to learn and use Welsh—depending on what they feel is missing from life.

We inherit traditions, but legacy is what we leave for the benefit of others, and for many people that feels increasingly important as the years tick by. So there is one idea for motivation—the chance to pass on the language as a legacy to help shape the future when folk will still be able to have a definite identity—a sense of belonging whether by birthright, adoption or association with kindred spirits. That is what SSiW offers—never underestimate the value of that.

Cheers,
Mari

2 Likes

Afternoon, Tahl
Thanks for reaching out to me. I’m excited to attend as this will be my first time speaking Cymraeg to anyone! I see your monthly meet ups in DC, but I live in southern Delaware; so two hours away. It’s a ways to go for a conversation. HA! Someday, perhaps, but this meeting will fun. I’m attending both of Aran’s presentations. Hoping to meet the man, as I enjoyed reading his book. Looking forward to meeting you as well.

Court

3 Likes

Uh-oh… :scream:

[gets back to trying to make them good]…

3 Likes

I’m not sure if I’m putting this in the right thread. I had a meeting at work today with two reps from a medical appliance company, both gave me their business cards. At the end of the meeting they said that they had had a good journey so I asked them where they had come from…Cardiff (to Shrewsbury) oh ’ Dach chi siarad Cymraeg?’ No (but one did some at school) Would you like to learn? Well we’ve been thinking about it…so I launch into the SSIW way etc etc. and give them their due they were very interested. Only I had to scribble the website details on a scrap of paper for them. I have just been wondering if there is any mileage in either a SSIW business card with the details on or a small leaflet that could be given out perhaps with the website and the options for starting to learn and how to get started eg 6mws, working through the levels with support of the forum, intensive course etc etc? If it was available on line I wouldn’t mind printing some out to carry round with me. Sorry @aran @Iestyn edited to attract the attention of the decision makers!

2 Likes

There is a ‘shop’ where you can get some…

3 Likes

yes but they are £25!

1 Like

Ah, I’m honored. Actually, I’m interested in learning more about hanes Cymry a diwylliant Cymry. This is my first chance to speak Cymraeg with someone other than my dog. :grinning:

1 Like

The wording is perhaps a little out-of-date now, as it doesn’t reflect the latest offers. Perhaps time for a redesign.

1 Like

Yup, I think once the next month or two are done and dusted it would be a good idea for us to revisit this… :slight_smile:

Wow, merchandise! I’m stunned - this is complete news to me!

One experimental SSIW tee shirt purchased for size check! :wink:

Thanks Siaron.

2 Likes

Ooh, I hope it will be all right. They tend to be rather smaller than you’d expect.

2 Likes

Ha, I had a quick look at the sizes vs measurements beforehand - let’s see how we go.

I can always order bigger ones when I order some more!

How exciting!

:slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s arrived !

It’s a smidge on the small side - I’ll order the next size up y tro nesa!

( liz says maybe I should be a size smaller which is another way of looking at it, ha, ha. )

1 Like

Can this be right? According to this, Wales alone is approaching 900.000 now?

Sorry that it’s not in English, but if you click on “Vocab” and wait for it to load, you can hover over words for translations.

I’ve just noticed a related English article:

There are some subtle difference between the Welsh and English version - when Eluned Morgan in Welsh says Datgan, which to me means declare - it is translated in English as claim, which to me would be something like honni. I don’t know if she gave comments in Welsh and in English separately or if it’s a translation, but the subtle difference is quite important in describing the respondants in the survey. Declaring or stating that you speak Welsh is quite a definitive response, claiming they speak Welsh, suggests it may be open to question. (which is probably true for anyone who responds to any survey, but rarely highlighted)

1 Like