The 'Please add me to the SSiW map' thread 🗺

Does that mean you also watch ‘Torchwood’? If so, you will have seen Rhossili Bay in more than one guise! It was an alien planet in one Who episode, but in Torchwood, The Old rectory was used as the place above the beach where Gwen and her husband were supposedly staying and which appeared to be blown to destruction! As it is a listed building and owned by The National Trust, I knew it was not really harmed! My illusions were hard to hold on to sometimes when I recognised places in episodes, or know they were not as they appeared!! Some filming in Swansea had that affect on me!
I believe both Gwen and Ianto (Eve and David) have been in S4C programmes and speak Welsh! Only about 2 people in Rhossili do - that end of Gower was grabbed by an English king soon after 1066!!

1 Like

Hello Sionned. Would you be able to add me to the map? I’m currently living in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. If you need a landmark, SAIT is as good as any.

Diolch,

Andrew.

2 Likes

Great! I’ve put you right on SAIT - if you’d rather be shown somewhere nearby, just let me know where.

1 Like

Sorry, but curiosity is killing me!! (Mixed with ignorance of course!) I expect I am the only person on the Forum who doesn’t know what SAIT is!! Please enlighten me!!

No worries. SAIT is the “Southern Alberta Institute of Technology,” a Polytechnic/University in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

1 Like

Helo Sionned,

Would you please add me to the map? I live in Holywell, North Wales CH8 7BA

Diolch

2 Likes

What a lovely journey - great to have you here :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not really. I had to look it up before I could put the marker on the map!

2 Likes

Shw mae Sioned,

Os phosib. Allech chi newid fi ar y map plis. Ar hyn yr bryd, dw’in byw yn Northampton, ond nai i symud nol i gymru i Abertawe gyda fy nheulu i wythnos nesaf. Byddan’ in bod yn byw yn Kittle (SA3 3).

Diolch yn fawr iawn

Tom

If possible, could you please change me on the map. At the moment, I live in Northampton but will be moving back to Wales next week with my family. We will be living in Kittle (SA3 3)

Thank you very Much

Tom

3 Likes

Croeso @TomPowell, I’ll not ask you to sign the petition for S4C funding as you will not be outside Wales for long!! I presume, if your family are in Kittle, that none speak Cymraeg!! (I lived on Gower before becoming an exile in Yr Alban!) Enjoy being hiraeth free, I envy you!

yep! and merely this year I must add! I knew about the show, but I’ve watched it only now that we have to wait, I really liked it! Keeping the illusion must be quite hard, since you must know that places really well :slight_smile: I might be way far from Wales, but DW universe showed me a little bit, (even with some research of my own) i’m happy about that! Maybe I’ll visit Wales someday! :relieved:They Speak Welsh?! wow great, Eve must sound lovely :heart_eyes: I had no idea!

1 Like

Hello Sionned - please could you add me to the map too please - I’m at BS49 4HB in Yatton, nr Clevedon. Thank you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello Sionned!
Can you please add me to the map? I’m in Strzegom, Lower Silesian Voivodeship, Poland.

Diolch!

2 Likes

I’m on the map in Milton Keynes under my old forum name, WillowFae. Please can you update it to my new one, ElenTylwythTeg? Diolch!

1 Like

Hey guys. Quick Question -
Is there any way to get in touch with people via the map?
I can see that there are two other learners around Johannesburg (and one in Durban, I’m not above driving for 6 hours to practice) but their names do now produce any results when I search through users.

If this is not possible I will have to send up a flare or something to try and attract welsh speakers :beers:.

I think it’s a bit tricky if they haven’t posted on the forum - @Sionned is there a workaround?

One of these days, we’d like to make all the map/location stuff a bit more directly useful, but it’s going to take quite a bit of work and/or cash…:wink:

1 Like

Well, in addition, many of the markers on the map are what you might call “legacy” markers - they were placed when we were still on the old forum so the names are from the old forum. Some people have either continued to use the same name or contacted me to tell me what their new forum name is (and I’ve changed it), but many others have not. I suspect a number of the older ones simply are not active here at all any more.

That said, if it is a current forum name, you can find them using the search function here (the magnifying glass symbol in the upper right). If it is a current forum name, putting it into the search will get you a link to their profile here and an opportunity to send them a private message. If it is not current, the name will not show you any results. Beyond that, I don’t know.

1 Like

S’mae Sionned!

Please add me to the Map. Jerusalem, Israel.

Diolch!

1 Like

Hi Sionned, Please change my pin from Port Angeles, WA (sitkaspruce) to Chestertown, MD (dauerwald)…as a paid member. Thank you.

1 Like

@Sionned if you’ll have the time and will you can change my location to more exact place as I’m quite out of Kranj (Slovenia). Location: 46.291574, 14.346925. My name is just fine (being KnightGhost elswhere on the net also).

Diolch.

2 Likes