The 'Please add me to the SSiW map' thread šŸ—ŗ

By the way I love your Forum name! Do you keep flamingos? I thought Mass was a bit too far north for them!

Hahaha oh man, no, but that would be amazing. Thanks! Honestly I was just trying to think of something quickly. I was going to be Cacen Gaws because itā€™s kind of fun to say, but then I remembered popty ping. I just thought Popty Pingā€¦ ooh, Popty Pink. Pinkā€¦ Floyd? Ehh. OH. Flamingo. I wonder if the Welsh for flamingo is fflamingoā€¦ OH MY GOD IT IS.

^Actual thought process. :joy:

5 Likes

[quote=ā€œLou, post:139, topic:1118ā€]
Hi
[/quote]Sionned. Could you please add me to the learners map please. Iā€™m between
Efailwen and Llandisslio post code SA66 7UB in Cilau Uchaf to be precise somewhere will be fine.
Diolch
Jo

2 Likes

Can you please add me? In York, UK.

3 Likes

Please can you add me to the map? I live in Bedford, Bedfordshire, England. aka Rhydwely :slight_smile: MK41 7TR

3 Likes

Helo
Please could you add me to the map?
I live in Colchester, Essex.
Diolch
Lucy

2 Likes

Oh, I wish Iā€™d known you when I was living with my brother in Halstead and completely failing to find anyone to practise Welsh withā€¦!

Please add me to the map! - Temple Cowley, Oxford. (Somewhere near the H of ā€˜Hollow Wayā€™, not where Google Maps says Temple Cowley isā€¦)

2 Likes

Oh gosh what a small world! That would have been ideal!

1 Like

Hi, Sionned! Iā€™m new around here. :slight_smile: Would you mind adding me to the map, please? I live in Atlanta, Georgia, USA. Diolch!

2 Likes

Croeso to all new to the Forum! I think @jjamiex is the only one I havenā€™t said ā€˜hiā€™ to before, but this is just to say, everyone on here who can help with a problem is very happy to do so!

2 Likes

Sorry for the delay, folks - Iā€™ve been out of town and only just got home to take care of these. All up to date now, as far as I can tell. @RichardBuck - unfortunately the name Hollow Way moves around depending on how zoomed in or out you are, so Iā€™m not sure I have you where you wanted. Take a look and let me know if you would like me to move it ā€œthree streets leftā€ or something.

And that goes for everyone else, even people whoā€™ve been on the map for a while. If you look for your marker and would like it shifted some (or you move house and need to move the marker too) please let me know; Iā€™m happy to do so.

3 Likes

Hi @Sionned - Thatā€™s fine where it is. As a matter of basic digital housekeeping I didnā€™t want to give both a real name and too precise an address if itā€™s not essential, and the flagā€™s within spitting distance of me anyway.

Diolch yn fawr!

1 Like

Great! Thatā€™s all I wanted to know. Iā€™m happy to make the map locations as general or as precise as people want (within reason) so if youā€™re happy, I am too! Thanks!

2 Likes

Thanks for adding me!

2 Likes

Hi there could you please put me on the map.
Diolch I chi.
Carter 51152
CF314BJ

2 Likes

When I was young, you had to say ā€˜I needā€™ rather than ā€˜I wantā€™ to have a chance of getting what you wanted. Soā€¦. I really need to know how many people have now started learning Welsh with SSiW, and, if possible, in how many countries. Skimming through this thread, I have a vivid mental image of huge flocks of poptypinkflamingos settling gracefully all over the world map!

1 Like

To @BronwenLewis, sorry, Fach, butā€¦
You may not be able to get it! @aran may? Problems:- Are learning or have ever learned? I know of at least one not on the map, living in a far off land who has done the first Level of both Lessons and Challenges and stopped there, as he only really needed to be able to read and sing in Welsh. @Deborah-SSi does the n/l so must have some sort of list, which may be the best source. I have people from all over the world signing the petition, but not all have ever even seen SSiW!! @Sionned only knows those who have asked to go on the Map and many of those seem to be no longer current or to have moved to other locations! I know of one on the map who is no longer actively learning or on the Forum!
Lwc dda, but it is not an easy question to answer!!

1 Like

Iestyn would be the boy for this - I think weā€™ve had about 40,000+ have access of some kind to the lessons - this current website has about 25,000 accounts on it, but weā€™ve lost plenty each time weā€™ve moved sites over the yearsā€¦ and round about 50 to 60 countries, at a guess, although there are probably countries with learners that havenā€™t put their hands up to be on the mapā€¦

Of course, how many of those people are actively learning is anyoneā€™s guess - we have about 10,000 on the weekly email, which is one possible sign - and Iā€™m not sure how many people have subscribed and stopped later on, but I think we have about 1200 subscribers at the moment, who are definitely working hardā€¦:slight_smile:

3 Likes

At the moment, the total number of people marked on the three maps is 1968. That changes almost daily, but the number never goes down unless I am specifically asked to take a marker off the map. Several years ago I calculated that the map had only about 7% of all the people learning with SSiW. If that percentage still holds, that would indicate more than 28,000 people. Very pie-in-the-sky numbers, but something anyway.

3 Likes