The SSi Growth Club

Grrr. Bad though I feel to break this good run of consistent Friday publishing, I’m going to have to beg your indulgence today - feelings are running a little high at SSi Towers, and it’s unlikely either Catrin or I could talk sensibly about anything at all today.

I would have promised Monday as an alternative - but I’m going to be doing my intensive day of Manx on Monday! www.saysomethingin.com/manxday

So hand on my heart, we’ll get this week’s Clwb Tyfu done on Tuesday… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I can sense your feelings and I’m equally … (I’m not sure what … sad, worried, angry, depressed … ) so at least I (but don’t doubt the others too) can perfectly understand the situation. I couldn’t work all day and did million things wrong myself … what all I’ll see on Monday …

And … pob lwc am Dydd Llun. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Argghgggghggh…

I hate when I miss as badly as that. Sorry sorry sorry. I couldn’t have put two full sentences together on Tuesday, let alone record a Growth Club chat. My brain didn’t even start to work again properly until about mid-day on Thursday (and of course we had one of those days on Friday)…

But… I have just done a quick recording, before we take Angharad Lliar up to Bangor to the hospital (she fell on the trampoline while trying to do a somersault yesterday, drove her chin into her chest, and still feels in pain, so although it didn’t seem worth a trip to see a doctor yesterday, it does today)…

Once I get back from Bangor, I’ll transcribe today’s recording (which is an intro to the ‘lived in lots of countries’ stuff) - and then we’ll do another one tomorrow, and another on Wednesday (because I’m going to be down in Cardiff for a conference this Friday).

Phew…

So, the last but one Growth Club coming your way later on today - then last week’s coming tomorrow - then this week’s on Wednesday…:wink:

Thank you for not shouting at me, however much I deserve it! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :thumbsup:

2 Likes

Hope she’ll be fine. Incidentally, there was an article in Finnish news just a few days ago, that unsuccesfull somersaults are the usual reason behind serious injuries for children on trampoline. :fearful:

1 Like

Owowo … all the best to Angharad.

And …

???

It’s not the end fo the World, is it? There’s always another day no matter how and … after rain there’s always sunshine.

The main thing now is that Angharad didn’t get siriously injured and the pain is just temporary thing. Crossing fingers everything is allright.

3 Likes

Yup, now banned!

And session 35 up and waiting for you… and Angharad Lliar safely home with nothing more serious than what seems to be some bruised soft tissue around her sternum. Next stop, proper gymnastic classes… :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Agreed. This can also help with her dancing lessons/performances aswell (since I know she dances (or danced I don’t know) balley (or sort of it, what I could see from pictures (was it last year?)) :slight_smile:

Little “silly” girl. I imagine her wanting to try everything possible. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I expect in all your travels, you learned a lot more languages than I did in mine. Although (pre SSiW) I was still at the stage of ‘I’m useless at languages’ I did try to learn the basics. And I learned to say 'Don’t shoot!" in a range of interesting languages.

I hope not to need it in Wales, but I would like to add it to my list. Paid a saethu??

2 Likes

You would almost certainly be very wrong in your expectations!

I was always useless at languages. I tried every one I came across, because I knew one day I’d come home and I’d need to be a Welsh speaker - but all the signs were about as unpromising as it’s possible to get. I didn’t learn a single language to any level of conversational ability until I learnt Welsh… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ugh, my plans seem very ineffective this month…:wink:

But Growth Club 36 is up and waiting for you now - a slightly over-excited discussion about… well, you’ll see…:wink:

So we’ll aim to get two more done next week, which should I think see us caught up again! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Ahem - yes - so the following week involved me going to the Isle of Man - maybe should have thought that one through a little more carefully!

So here’s one for that week, we’ll do another later on this week, and then as far as I can count, that means we’ll still be one short - maybe that’s for next week… :slight_smile:

[Ia, 37 is up there and waiting for you now!]

1 Like

Ahem - so, I’m now thoroughly confused - but there’s a new one up just now, so that’s for last week, and I’ll do another one tomorrow for this week, and then pre-record one in advance for the Eisteddfod week…

Would that leave us catched up, er, caught up? Anyone less unclear on this than I am?!.. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just about to head off back home - thanks to everyone we saw for your company and friendship - and before I go, a little later than planned, there’s a fresh Growth Club chat - 39, if I’m not mistaken… :slight_smile:

Catrin and I are definitely running a little low on inspiration for subjects, so it’d be great to have a fresh set of requests! We’ve just heard that we’ve got to get the Japanese knotweed in the property we’re trying to buy professionally sorted out - so unless you give us some good alternatives, you’re likely to be hearing far too much about knotweed in the next few weeks…:wink:

1 Like

Thanks for the tip - I’ve looked up ‘Japanese knotweed’ so as to get a headstart… I listen to all the talks several times, but there’s the odd one where I don’t know what the topic is, so don’t catch more than the odd word. It would be a big help if you could speak yn arafach and yn syml when you’re telling us what you’ll be talking about.

Otherwise, I enjoy listening to anything, and I’ve already had my choice of topic. But as you’re asking… I realise you have a perfect marriage, but are there things you disagree about, which would make an interesting chat? What places would you like to visit before you die, and why? Do you have a bucket list of things you’d like to do in life generally? What should we see and do when we visit Caernarfon? Welsh music tips? Your policies about language at home and in the wild? Your top 5 living/dead Welshmen and women, and why? Views on Rugby v football (I can’t believe I said that).

I like feeling I’m eavesdropping on a family chat, so I’d be happy to hear you gossiping about your day, something you enjoyed on S4C or at the cinema, a fun weekend, or a topic in the news. And occasionally it would be great to be updated about what’s going on in SSi. I’m thrilled about people learning Welsh through SSi all over the world, and wonder about the impact this may have on the language and the tourist industry. And I’d love to know more about how SSi plans to support more endangered languages.

But not before we’re reassured that your house is still standing, and that the Japanese Knotweed is no more…

Thank you so much, Bronwen - that’s hugely helpful! A great range of alternatives to knotweed - diolch yn fawr iawn :slight_smile:

That’s a very good idea - I’ll do my best to remember it from now on… :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t slow down too much though … our ears have to be keen to listen to the conversational (speed) Welsh anyway. At least I think so. (But of course this is my humble point of view though). :slight_smile:

Not in general, no, I agree with you - but while introducing the subject for the chat, I can see that would be very helpful - because having a clear idea of the subject can definitely help get the overall gist… :slight_smile:

Yes, agreed. I’ve misslooked that fact though and now remember @BronwenLewis wished just that.

Sorry, I’m not quite in “working mode” yet … :smile: and not totally back from Cymru either … Part of me is still wandering there around somewhere. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And #40 is up and waiting for you… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve just listened to no.39, and I’m so glad that Lefel 3 is on your Bucket List, because I fear I may kick the bucket before I get through Cwrs 3. Pob lwc with the other wishes!

1 Like