The SSi Growth Club

That’s what was my idea, but the answer is above … well, but I still think it’d no harm to try this particular idea.

@aran good luck with “whispering”. :slight_smile: I believe we can wait a bit for your recordings yet, can’t we? :slight_smile:

Arghghghg, sorry, yesterday’s trip to the bank took a lot longer than expected - and Catrin’s helping out in the school this morning - but I promise I’ll not even let her eat before we record (well, maybe a sandwich). Any requests for what we should talk about today?!

Thank you all very much indeed for the input about promoting the Growth Club - I’m paying attention to every comment, and will definitely think about all of them - on the other hand, the Growth Club has already made a huge difference (as you’ll see in the next few weeks now Jeff is home!) - and since we’re hoping to have the beginnings of a good few new languages available in the next three to four months, I’m thinking that we probably won’t leave the Growth Club open for ever. It’s sort of a ‘founding members’ deal, I think, for our most committed supporters - rather than something that we’ll want to keep available for a very long time.

How about what ir’s like to grow up on Pen Llŷn, warts and all … Not that I’m suggesting that …

1 Like

Ask and you shall receive and all that (although I can confirm she’s currently wart-free!)… :sunny:

1 Like

Eh … let her eat so she gets some extra strainght to speak. :slight_smile: You know … you can’t do things properly when hungry, can you? :slight_smile:

On a sirious note: I’m with @andygildon and his suggestion. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Top stuff, diolch. We did give you a wave from Tywyn last week but I bet you didn’t see us :grinning:

1 Like

Oh, I wondered who that was…

1 Like

As I’ve had a lifelong love of astronomy, and with the northern lights visible.
May I suggest a piece about the night skies above Pen Llyn?

2 Likes

Always go with someone’s first idea… which is absolutely inspiring!!!

quoting Andy Gildon …

I’ve been thinking that I ought to know more about beer and pubs than I do. Maybe that’s asking Aran to do too much research for a topic😉

Justin

It’ll take a while to do the necessary research…:wink:

In the meantime, chat 04 is up and waiting for you, as are the previous 3 - although I don’t have a transcript for the first one, I’m afraid, unless anyone has happened to save it…:wink:

I believe I’ll upgrade for the sake of saving things for the time you’d need them …

I’m famous of that - saving most of everything what I’m downloading … :slight_smile: My 3 TB external drive is 1/4 full + 2 internal disks one (500 GB) on 3/4 and other (1 TB) on 1/10 aswell. :slight_smile:

1 Like

They are really good as i found out last week, here we have light pollution to spoil the night sky.
I had not taken any notice here (what you are used to is what you are accustomed to), but last week
looking for the giant moon led to me realizing how much difference a dark sky makes, so many star clusters.

Cheers J.P.

2 Likes

Aran, you have kindly warned that these chats are at a fairly advanced level, but I feel as if I understand more words and ideas than I do when Radio Cymru is washing over me. Although the conversation sounds very natural, are you in fact consciously restricting your vocabulary?

As an example of how much I’ve ‘understood’, I am very impressed that Catrin, aged five, got on a bus to Liverpool, wearing her party frock, because she didn’t like boiled eggs! Can’t wait to learn about the stars in Welsh now!!

3 Likes

I love this Growth Club more and more … :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s an interesting question. Not consciously, no - but after a good few years of working with learners, it’s not impossible that I have some kind of ‘Bootcamp language’ self-limitation going on - to which you can add the fact that other second language speakers are usually a bit easier to understand because they don’t often do that first language sudden-run-of-real-bullet-speed thing.

Having said that, Catrin’s talking very naturally in them (clearly, but naturally) - and from doing the transcripts, I know that she is throwing in the occasional several-words-quickly kind of thing - so all things considered I’d say that if you’re getting the gist of these chats, you’re doing extremely well… :sunny: :star:star2: 2:

This week’s content is up - Catrin and her Aurora Borealis-hunting high jinks. Sorry, actually recorded properly on Monday, it’s just taken until today for me to find the time to do the transcript… :sunny:

Any requests for next week?

2 Likes

Helo - sorry stupid question but how do i get this to work on my phone (not that I can understand anything!)
I go to GC content but it says nothing available
An ideas?
Diolch

Eek. Above my pay grade! Paging @kinetic :sunny:

1 Like

Hmm… is “nothing available” the exact wording of the message? I can’t see anywhere that might be coming from. And it’s only on your phone, you say? Do you know how to take a screenshot, by any chance? That would really help. Also, do you know what type of phone you have, and what browser you’re using on it?

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies. Sorry - I am a bit thick when it comes to technology. It says no lessons available. It is a samsung but not sure about browser
All of the other headings open fine.
It is also there fine on my computer (but don’t know how to download those! - so using phone)

1 Like