The SSiW Annual Party 2018 - June 2nd - JOIN THE HANGOUT!

I’m very tempted to come to this, but the only issue is I’m not due to land in Heathrow till midday on the 2nd. So I’d be looking at a 4/5pm arrival time.

Aran, are you travelling down from up North?

Yup, we’ll be down for the night - Catrin’s getting quite excited at the thought of an evening without the kids… :wink:

2 Likes

Hotel booked. I’m coming on my lonesome again. Any thoughts on a pre-party gathering will be welcomed.

2 Likes

We would be up for a gathering! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Any suggestions/recommendations re accommodation from anyone?

The nearest Premier or Travelodge are a good way away but still only less than a 20min drive. I’ve stopped in the Crosshands Travelodge before and it’s in a great position. I’ve booked the Spilman hotel for no particular reason other than it looked reasonable on booking dot com.

2 Likes

I deleted the name of hte hotel I booked earlier in this thread 'cos I thought I might be infringing aome no-advertising policy. I think it’s OK now to tell you I’ve booked into the ivy Bush Hotel near Carmarthen Centre. I understand it has mixed reviews on TripAdviser (which I no longer use) but it has good reviews on booking.com especially for single travellers which @gruntius and I will be. :smile:

I also have second hand experience in that M & I met up at the Ivy Bush with a long lost great aunt and her daughter last year over dinner. They seemed quite happy with their accommodation.

I shall also be up for a get together. :smile:

3 Likes

Still got got a double and a single going in Cefneithin, one village from Cross Hands.

1 Like

Snap! It had great reviews on TripAdvisor and Booking.Com. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

At least I have someone to walk back with at the end of the night. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve only experienced staying in Carmarthen once myself, so I can only go by Trip Advisor and Booking.com myself, though I can tell you to avoid the Old Priory Guest House. That’s where I stayed and it was awful!

Here are some links that might help:

Spilman Hotel - has a range of double and twin rooms, including “cosy double for one”

Ivy Bush Royal Hotel - 70 ensuite rooms and parking for guests

Rose and Crown Hotel - a pub with accommodation, but rooms are recently refurbished and Booking.com gives it a rating of 8.4, might suit some

New Park Hotel
is also quite central, so short walk from station, but doesn’t have parking

2 Likes

Thank you @Deborah-SSi, @gruntius, @HuwJones & anyone I’ve accidentally missed out. Rather than presume on your kind offer, @margaretnock, I’ve booked a room in case there’s anyone stuck without a solution nearer the time who needs to take you up on it. And the Spilman was the cheapest option left on Booking.com with good reviews and parking, so the Spilman it is. Ymlaen!

1 Like

Good to see people starting to organise their accommodation! The more people staying together, the more fun it’s likely to be!

We’re starting to think about options for getting together on the Saturday, and perhaps a joint excursion on the Sunday to somewhere like Parc Dinefwr. If anyone has any ideas or preferences, feel free to post them here :slight_smile:

1 Like

Castell Careg Cennen? Gardd Fotaneg Genedlaethol Cymru, Llanarthney?
Parc Dinefwr and the nearby Castell are good, too.

3 Likes

I’m unsure as yet what time we would be able to leave home on the Saturday. It all depends on babysitting arrangements. But we want to make the most of the occasion so will try to leave as soon as possible. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Same. I will also be leaving for home after breakfast in the morning.

It’s a 3 hour drive for me so I’ll arrive about mid afternoon on Saturday and would like to be home by mid afternoon at the latest on Sunday.

Booked the hotel for the Annual Party on June 2nd!!! Now await the Party booking information. :smiley:

1 Like

Hi, Sorry but I’m working that weekend on a Charity challenge for Prostate Cancer

1 Like

Thank you for all your efforts Dee! :star:

1 Like