The SSiW Annual Party 2018 - June 2nd - JOIN THE HANGOUT!

Wow! Great to find you online, Cat! Diolch yn fawr. I have booked train journey and hotel now, so the party for me is reality not just something theoretical…

The Drovers Arms (not sure where to put the apostrophe, there) have a check-in from 2pm, and I arrive at the station ten mins before that.

I depart on the train on Sunday after 5pm… I am really looking forward to the adventure, so thank you, organisers, for the opportunity, the gentlest kick-up-bum to visit Wales again!

3 Likes

oops yes @aran I think it was @Deborah-SSi who mentioned it actually
oh waow yes @margaretnock I would love to take your offer in that case
and thanks for the lift offer @ChrisLeaman ! I’ve messaged you back.

1 Like

You are booked. I’ll meet you at the party.

2 Likes

Will we get some advance notice of the buffet dishes? I’m in the difficult-to-cater-for group, I know (vegan with a wheat allergy in my case) so I’m used to eating beforehand for events like this but I would hate to do that and then find there was something I could have…

We’re going to try and choose a variety of foods, but if you have very specific food needs, please look at the following list and PM me if there is something that you would really like to be included and I’ll see what I can do. We will be selecting 8 options from these:

Something Savoury
Selection of meat & vegetarian sandwiches
Selection of filled rolls
Selection of meat & vegetable wraps
Hot’n’spicy chicken wings
Duck & Vegetable spring rolls with chilli sauce
Onion Bhaji with Raita dip
Marinated chicken skewers (tikka, BBQ, satay, pesto)
Crispy fish goujons with tartare sauce
Selection of speciality sausages with accompanying sauces
Spinach & Feta goujons
Sweet potato and curry bites with mango chutney
Sweet potato skins
Mini baked topped potatoes
Sea salt and cracked black pepper wedges with tomato salsa

Something Sweet
Mini choux buns with chocolate topping
Mini cheesecakes of your choice
Mini pecan and chocolate brownies
Fresh fruit, marshmallow & mini doughnut platter with chocolate and fruit dipping sauces

4 Likes

I am uncertain whether or not I will be able make it to the annual SSIW Parti in Carmarthen but if I do I will be travelling in my campervan. I had assumed that there would be a large car park at the Centre but Dee tells me that although there will be room to park for those attending, space is limited and she thought that it would probably be unsuitable for me to park there overnight.
I am therefore enquiring if by any chance there are any members attending who live locally, and have a driveway where they would be happy for me to park overnight. The van is only slightly bigger than a large car and is completely self contained.
I would go first of all to the centre to assess the situation, but if it is unsuitable it would be reassuring to know that I had an alternative lined up.
There are camp sites in the Carmarthen area but as I am still uncertain whether or not I will actually be going I am reluctant to pursue this option. In any event they may well be by now fully booked.

2 Likes

I will double check with them in my next communication and let you know for sure John.

1 Like

@johngwilym the university has come back and said it will be ok for you to park overnight, but there will be no electricity. That should be fine for you, shouldn’t it?

Annwyl Dee,

I believe that the appropriate response is bendigedig ac arddechog. Diolch yn fawr iawn i chi.

Hwyl am y tro.

johngwilym.

2 Likes

Wonderful! Now to book my actual ticket to the party:)

Bonjour! Shmae pawb! (We are looking for three beds on Saturday June 2nd contact me directly at jfjoubertesl@gmail.com :D)

We are a group of students (avg 19 years old) from Québec… I have been doing these trips now for the last six years (not every year!) But wow!
SsiW has been quite an inspiration. We have also started integrating meetups (we started that last time and it was very interesting… all the people we met!)
We come from litteraly no Welsh background.

The students know greetings, numbers and short phrases (using the very efficient techniques of the SsiW tapes that I have used myself)
Dwiddimyn gwbod/hoffi/siarad …
Dw i’n gwbod/hoffi/siarad …
Wyt ti’n gwbod/hoffi/siarad …

SsiW has been an integral part of the way I plan my student cultural trips… and rydym yn hapus iawn to come eating with you on June second!

Diolch yn fawr pawb!

Jean-François Joubert

6 Likes

I’ll put the request in next week’s email. It goes out on Tuesday, so hopefully you’ll have something before then, but if not, it might help.

I’m looking forward to meeting you all. We often do have a few SSiWers from overseas at the annual party, but never from Québec before!

2 Likes

This could be a possibility for those that arrive in Caerfyrddin really early for the party :smile:
The address is 31A Blue St, Carmarthen SA31 3LE

3 Likes

Bonjour., Jean Francois

I am looking forward to meeting you all at the party. I passed a very happy “séjour académique” in the mid 80s at UQTR in Trois Rivières and can’t wait to hear the accent once more. It will bring back happy memories. :smile:

Huw/Hugues

4 Likes

Me too - though I have to say that I find the Quebec accent pretty impenetrable . Montreal / Paris = Ynys Mon /Ynysbwl ?

1 Like

Ynysybwl even

Any news on an unofficial get together in the afternoon before the party? All we need is someone who knows the area to suggest a suitable place and we’ll all turn up whenever … simple.

Anyone?

I’m hoping, that if the plans I’ve made for depositing dog and children on Saturday morning have been efficient enough, that we will be leaving this end about 11am-ish. The journey should take about three and a quarter hours, so allowing for stops and delays and time to deposit the cake, I estimate that we will be arriving about 3ish?

I would be up for a relaxing coffee and a chat somewhere for sure - that would be lovely! But would also relish the opportunity for some proper girly time to shower and get ready before the party. This chance of a night away is a very rare opportunity for Mr Jones and I, so I plan on making the most of every minute without the responsibilities of kids/dog/mother in law and work. :smile:

I don’t know the area though, so if someone could suggest where and when that would be wonderful!

1 Like

Well, I have to confess I don’t really go into Carmarthen a lot, and when I do I rarely go in a café so I’m not the best person to recommend anything. When I do meet people there, I usually suggest Yr Atom in King St, which is the Welsh Language Centre for Carmarthen http://www.yratom.wales/yr-atom-cafe/ so I like to try and support it.

However, it doesn’t have a lot of space, and tends to get quite busy. I haven’t been there on a Saturday though, so I’m not sure what it’s like then.

There is a Café Nero right in the centre of Carmarthen, that has more room and if people wanted to use that as a meeting place then little groups could have a wander about, visit the castle etc.

I would love to say I would be there early and meet everyone, but I have my elderly parents arriving next Wednesday to stay for 6 weeks and what I can do during the day on the Saturday is going to depend very much on them.

2 Likes

Crispin and I will likely be around (ish) as we’re going down on Friday to make a slightly longer break of it.

For me the choice for Saturday is simple: National Botanic Garden of Wales at Llanarthne, less than ten miles away. I finally get to visit it! So that’s were we will be until late afternoon. If anyone else is hoping to fit that in and wants to meet us there (or needs a lift there from Caerfyrddin) feel free to DM or text me.

Karen

1 Like