SSi Forum

The SSiW Welsh Book Club 📖 📚 👓

The television programme is available on S4C clic at the moment

Really? Interesting. Thank you.

Watching this at the moment - and for those who, like me, only know Buddug Povey as middle-aged, permanently harassed and sharp-tongued Kay in Rownd a Rownd, it may be a bit disconcerting to recognise her as the rather glamorous man-eater Menna :slight_smile:

Fi a Joe Allen - Manon Steffan Ros

“Dwi ddim yn dweud 'mod i’n bêl-droediwr anhygoel, ond roedd hon gôl y byddai Gareth Bale yn falch ohoni!”

Marc Hughes is a massive football fan and when he got the chance to go to France to see the Wales team play he was over the moon.

But in the middle of all the excitement of the games and spending some rare time with his dad (who was the spit of Joe Allen), things weren’t all that rosy.

This book is definitely aimed at the younger reader, maybe 8-11ish at a guess, so is written in really quite a straight forward style with easy to grasp language. Probably one of the best books for this age I’ve read for me as all of the excitement of the 2016 Euros came back to life. Very enjoyable.

Suitable for people just starting to read I would say. This is the 17th MSR book I’ve read so maybe that was why I found it easy … try it out for yourself.

‘Merched Gwyllt Cymru’ (Wild Welsh Women) - I couldn’t resist when I came across this in the library. You may disagree with the author’s choice of women, or with her definitions of ‘Wild’, ‘Welsh’ and even (Rebecca and her daughters) ‘Women’, but it’s a rollicking good read. I was pleased that the fifteenth century feminist poet, Gwerfyl Mechain, was included, and your notion of Welsh womanhood will be further expanded by reading about harpist and wrestler Marged ferch Ifan.

The book starts with the legendary witch Ceridwen, and ends with Megan Lloyd George, who has one of the best put-downs ever to a hustings heckler.

The book is dual language English and Welsh, so although it’s aimed at fairly advanced readers, it’s possible for less advanced readers to enjoy it as well. The English is by no means a word-for-word translation, which would be annoying if you were using the book as a serious learning tool, but if you just want to read for pleasure without having to look stuff up in the dictionary, it’s ideal.

I’d recommend this book as a Christmas present for a friend who’s learning Welsh. It costs £7.95, but you can buy secondhand copies at AbeBooks for just over £2. (Other non-Amazon booksellers are available.)

My goal is to work through the History of Wales by Davies. I have it in English & Welsn & is my reading Welsh goal. Surviving a week or two in Wales is my speaking goal. I have that and some pre grammar school books. Not much in between cardiau post is my read/write goal! I have 3 or 4 & starting to write. Caveat: having surgery Fri so may be delayed

Great goals, @Rosemarie, and best wishes for the surgery!

Thank you. I forgot to say that both English and Welch versions of Davies book are available on Kindle