The SSiW Welsh Book Club šŸ“– šŸ“š šŸ‘“

Thanks for your offer, and I have good news. I mailed the publisher to ask if there is a chance of a reprint, and they confirmed that Dan Yr Wyneb will be reprinted in mid-November this year (probably coinciding with the release of the new book - number 8 - Dan Bwysau)

1 Like

Great news. :sunglasses:

Finished ā€œY Nantā€ by Bet Jones today. Itā€™s a detective story about a murder at a Welsh learning course, which turns almost into a thriller near the end. It reminds of ā€œMurder on the Orient expressā€ in that almost everyone has a motive to kill and that the number of suspects is very restricted (the learners and the staff are cut from the world because of a snowstom). But itā€™s also very different in how it feels - Christieā€™s stories are always warm and cosy, with a detective you can trust, ā€œY Nantā€ at times feels as cold as the weather described in, deals with uncomfortable topic and you canā€™t trust anyone in it.
Overall, I found it a very good book, fast-paced and with realistic characters. At the beginning I found some of them disgusting, in the end I felt sorry for everyone. Sometimes, people hide secrets that not only poison their lives, but can also destroy the lives of people around them.
Could anyone recommend another good mystery in Welsh? Not gory and without mentally ill characters.

9 Likes

Iā€™ve got that in my ā€œstill to readā€ pile at home and I really must get around to reading it.

1 Like

Yes!! Reading a poem in Ffenestri, I came across ā€œcofiwch eich welis, da chi!ā€ and couldnā€™t for the life of me figure out what ā€œwelisā€ meant. I thought it was some strange, out of context or idiomatic use of one of the tenses of ā€œgweldā€ā€¦ then I read it out loud and realised, in a poem about the Eisteddfod, that it was literally ā€œwelliesā€!

4 Likes

Two more books for you, as I continue to make my way through the Cyfres Amdani series.

Cofio Anghofio - Alan Maley (Author) / Elin Meek (Translator)
The story revolves around an elderly woman with dementia, and how her family struggles to cope. Its an interesting story, focused around quite a sad topic, but has occasional funny moments too. The book is aimed at level Uwch. This was the the first level Uwch book Iā€™ve read, but it wasnā€™t that big a step up from Canolradd.

Cyffesion Saesnes yng Nghymru - Sarah Reynolds
The story follows an English woman who marries a Welshman and moves to Wales, as she tries to adapt to Welsh life and learn Welsh. An interesting and funny story. Those of us who have moved to Wales and learnt Welsh may find some similarities with the main character. I initially found this slightly more difficult than Cofio Angofio, as it took a bit of time to get used to the authors style of writing, but I was fine with it by the end.

4 Likes

Diolch Hishev.

Iā€™m loving these booksā€¦but Iā€™m still on the Sylfaen levelā€¦get a real sense of achievement when I can understand a few lines without consulting the dictionary :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I think that still holds true at level Uwch and beyond! It certainly does for me, although I try to figure out what words mean from their parts(*) or from context and only look up words I really need to know to understand whatā€™s going on, or that crop up frequently. Otherwise you just end up looking through the dictionary and not really reading.

(*) E.g. cydweithiwr: cyd- = together, weitio --> gweithio = to work, -wr = person, ā€œdo-erā€ ==> co-worker, colleague

1 Like

Iā€™m reading ā€œHi yw fy ffrindā€ by Bethan Gwanas now and though Iā€™ve only just started I can already say Iā€™m loving this book. Itā€™s light and breezy and the language is great - though Iā€™m learning Southern Welsh. Thank you @gruntius for recommending it in this thread!

3 Likes

Iā€™m thinking of trying something ā€œnorthernā€ next. How are you finding the book, difficulty wise?

Iā€™d say it is definitely easier than ā€œEfaā€ by the same writer, because it deals with everyday topics (has been so far), but there are very Northern forms sometimes that I donā€™t know. But itā€™s an easy read otherwise.

1 Like

Has anyone read ā€œLlyfr Glas Neboā€? Iā€™ve heard that it is really good and a fairly easy read, so I am interested in getting it, but not sure about the level. I tend to pick up books if I understand whatā€™s written on the back, so prefer to see it in person. :slight_smile:

@Gruntius has! Itā€™s the first post on this thread!

3 Likes

Oh yes, youā€™re right! Ooops! :smiley:

1 Like

Just browsing this thread and trying not to go too insane with jealousy, simply because we have SO, SO FEW books published in Cornish by comparison ā€” whether kidsā€™ books, adultsā€™ books, young adultsā€™ or anything else, really. :pleading_face: There are people working to rectify that (and Iā€™d love to join in once Iā€™m fluent enough to write and / or translate), but itā€™s slow going still. In the meantime a discussion like this is an almost infuriatingly tantalising glimpse into What Could Beā€¦ :smiley:

5 Likes

Youā€™re right, of course, but I do notice that itā€™s the same authors coming up time and again. Still, mustnā€™t grumble; Iā€™ve got plenty to be working through!

1 Like

Who will set a novel in a Slack Workspace of SSiW?

2 Likes

Cawl (a straeon eraill) - various authors

Part of Cyfres Amdani and aimed at level Uwch, this is a collection of short stories by various Welsh authors. Itā€™s a good way to familiarise yourself with the different dialects and writing styles in Welsh literature. The stories themselves tend to be a bit on the darker side - donā€™t expect many happy endings here.

3 Likes

I have seen humorous threads in other forums where the various participants create a story on the fly in comments. A lot of fun.

1 Like