The SSiW Welsh Book Club 📖 📚 👓

Teithio drwy Hanes, I would love that book Mike, that’s if Carin-Harris hasn’t got it first. Which is absolutely fine either way. Diolch

Sori
Mae e wedi mynd
:sunglasses:

Dim problem Mike,
Diolch :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks for the encouragement Cetra, i finished llyfr glas Nebo today and was blown away by it! It is so completely brilliantly written, i want to shake all of my (English language) reading group into learning Welsh just so they can enjoy this book! Absolutely stunning x

3 Likes

I expect this series has been recommended before, but this thread is so long now that it won’t hurt to plug it again.

I’ve just read a couple of 20-page history books, lavishly illustrated, and in parallel Welsh/English text.

They’re written in clear modern Welsh, but with a fair bit of technical vocabulary. (There was one word, ‘atafaelu’, that I understood in Welsh, but not in English
) They could be suitable for learners at all levels. Beginners could read them in English to learn more about Wales, and then try to pick out a few familiar words. I read them in Welsh, but checked the words I didn’t know in the parallel text. And fluent readers will enjoy these potted histories of Welsh culture. The books cost £2 - £3 each, and are published by Gwasg Gomer.

Other titles are: Hwyel the Good, Owain Glyndwr, Llywelyn the Last Prince, The Red Dragon, Saint David, The National Anthem, William Williams Pantycelin, Sosban Fach, The National Eisteddfod, The Urdd, Cardiff, The Mabinogi, Lovespoons and The Red Kite.

2 Likes

Thanks Bronwen, they sound really interesting.

I read a book. I didn’t like it so I can’t recommend it. (But I was pleased I could read it.) I need to read something more to my taste now. Something funny and uplifting. Any suggestions? (I really enjoyed the Bethan Gwanes Bywyd Blodwen Jones trilogy.

1 Like

There are more Bethan Gwanas books but it also depends on your ability and whether you’d be ok reading books aimed at children or teenagers. Try “Os MĂȘts”, “Amdani!”, “Llinyn TrĂŽns”, “Pen Dafad” or “SgĂŽr”. All aimed at youngsters so towards the easier end of the scale.

@gruntius Thank you for the recommendations. I will take a look at them, but if they are short books I will might give them a miss for now. I have bought a few ‘quick’ reads now and feel ready for something a bit longer, now my confidence is growing. (Cant’ believe I am saying that! Yay!) Longer, but not too difficult!

Well @franhunni, “funny and uplifting” and “a bit longer now my confidence is growing” lead me to Adar o’r Unlliw or Cicio’r Bwced

1 Like

@gruntius If only! Will go back to your original suggestions📚

1 Like

Fel Aderyn - Manon Steffan Ros

This was Manon’s first nofel written way back in 2009 and tells the story of Mina and her family through the 20th century. It mainly focuses on the mother/daughter relationships and how the love for family is not all roses and fairy tales.

In typical MSR style the storyline is very powerful and gripping with plenty of heart breaking moments and a few laughs thrown in to keep you on your toes. There are a couple of chapters telling the story of an abusive marriage which I found very difficult to read 
 really well written but quite graphic. If I’m being totally honest I would have liked a few of the loose ends tied up but that in no way made this in any way less enjoyable. This is easily as good as her other novels.

Written for an adult market I’d put this in the intermediate range and very much worth the effort.

1 Like

Wil ac Aeron - Heulwen Davies

Another Stori Sydyn book so another relatively easy read, this time following the lives, careers and friendship of these two familiar faces, Wil Hendreseifion and Aeron Pughe, starting from their first days in school together through performing and scripting for the local Young Farmers Club which led to an invitation to present a tv programme from the Royal Welsh Show and then on to various other ventures and adventures.

If you don’t know Wil from any of their programs you should definitely recognise Aeron as the face of Ben Dant, the pirate, a firm favourite on Cyw. Often to be seen walking around the maes at every Eisteddfod for the last decade.

This is quite an interesting read which shouldn’t be a challenge for readers at any level. Another Story Sydyn book that’s only £1.

@gruntius Do you know if there’s a particular go-to place/publisher for these books? [quote=“gruntius, post:455, topic:13975”]
Story Sydyn
[/quote]

Y Lolfa publish the Stori Sydyn https://www.ylolfa.com/en :slight_smile:

Speaking of YLolfa
 there’s a book in the Amdani series (level Sylfaen) that I haven’t seen mentioned, but I really enjoyed:
“Y Fawr a’r Fach - Straeon o’r Rhondda” by Siîn Thomos Owen.

It’s a collection of short stories based on real events from his life, and all linked to different places in the area.

A southern flavored language, for anyone enjoying light comedy style stories and the chance to learn more about a maybe less touristy but still interesting part of Wales.

More detsils and even sample chapters at the link below, but if I can add just one more note:I’ve read the “dyweddïo ar ben Old Smokey” 10 times and I just can’t stop laughing every time! :joy:

Y-Fawr-ar-Fach-Sio%CC%82n-Tomos-Owen-250

2 Likes

Hi @franhunni I’ve got a copy of Os Mets if you want it.Not one of my favourite reads but I’m trying to expose myself to different styles and it only cost me 50p in a charity shop!

I would always recommend your local bookshop (not a chain) if you have one. Failing that there are a few that will deliver for you (including, but not exclusive to, Palas Print in C’narfon or Siop Cwlwm in Oswestry). Third choice for me would be direct from Y Lolfa. And then why not borrow from your local library, the author gets 8.5p every time one of their books is taken out.

1 Like

My local bookshop (in my hometown) shared this link a few days ago. You can buy books from this website and nominate your local bookshop to receive the commission. https://www.ffolio.wales/

1 Like

I’ve used Gwales in the past who do the same thing.