The SSiW Welsh Book Club 📖 📚 👓

Good stuff!

1 Like

Nice one!
I think that “Mog, y Gath Anghofus” is great too. I found a website where I was able to download a soundfile of it being read aloud. Alas, I can’t find the site again. Somebody here suggested listening to it at double speed. That’s good too once you are familiar with the normal speed version.
Sue

2 Likes

Google isn’t throwing up any useful websites. I wonder if it’s on an audio CD somewhere. Listening would be a good idea.

The company was Dref Wen publishers, but their website seems to have disappeared. :frowning_face:

That’s where I found it. Sad - there were quite a few good children’s books available.
Sue

1 Like

Looks good and I like Michael Rosen

2 Likes

In a couple of writing blogs. A funny one I remember was a parody thread about paranormal detective/romances. Someone started a paragraph full of clichés and people took turns adding to the story.

1 Like

Why no contraction on “Dyn ni yn
”?

2 Likes

It seems that Dref Wen’s website is back again.
https://www.drefwen.wales/free-audio-books/
Sue

5 Likes

I often find myself scrolling up and down this excellent thread, and I thought that it might be helpful to have a list of all the books mentioned so far. Most, but not all, have favourable reviews. Books are listed in order of appearing in this thread.
Sue

Llyfr Glas Nebo - Manon Steffan Ros
Harri Potter a Maen yr Athronydd - J. K. Rowling, Emily Huws (Translator)
O, Mam Bach - Various authors (including Catrin Lliar Jones)
Rhys Lewis - Daniel Owen
Y Gosb - Geraint Evans
Y Geiriadur Lliwgar - Heather Amery
Modern Welsh Dictionary - Gareth King (ed)
The Welsh language A History - Janet Davies
Trwy’r Darlun - Manon Steffan Ros
Trwy’r Tonnau - Manon Steffan Ros
E-ffrindiau - Lois Arnold
Ffenestri - Lois Arnold
SgƔp - Lois Arnold
Cysgod yn y Coed - Lois Arnold
Y Stelciwr - Manon Steffan Ros
Hunllef - Manon Steffan Ros
Blasu - Manon Steffan Ross
DƔr Dwfn - Conn Iggulden
Hi yw fy ffrind - Bethan Gwanas
Hi oedd fy ffrind - Bethan Gwanas
GĂȘm beryglus - Richard MacAndrew (Author),Pegi Talfryn (Translator)
Y llythyr - Helen Naylor (Author), Dwynwen Teifi (Translator)
Alun yr Arth series - Morgan Tomos
Welsh Words (North) - Steve Morris, Paul Meara (also South version)
Annwyl Dementia - Ian Donaghy, Eleri Huws (Translator)
Welsh for Visitors - Elin Angharad Davies
Cynghorion a Holiadau from The Little Book of Friendship and Quaker Faith and Practice
Cyfres Dewin - Rhian Mair Evans
BrĂąn i bob BrĂąn - Rowan Coleman, Dafydd Morse (Translator)
Bryn y Crogwr - Bethan Gwanas
Efa - Bethan Gwanas
I Botany Bay - Bethan Gwanas
Y Nant - Bet Jones
Ar Drywydd Llofrudd - Alun Davies
Y Differthwch Du - Bethan Gwanas
Un Nos Ola Leuad - Caradog Prichard
Baba Hyll - Manon Steffan Ros
Pen Dafad - Bethan Gwanas
Pluen - Manon Steffan Ros
Dan Yr Wyneb - John Alwyn Griffiths
Dan Ddylanwad - John Alwyn Griffiths
Dan Ewyn y Don - John Alwyn Griffiths
Dan Gwmwl Du - John Alwyn Griffiths
Coed y Brenin - Colin Jones
Cwm Gwrachod - Colin Jones
Gwylliaid - Bethan Gwanas
Gwrach y Gwyllt - Bethan Gwanas
Cyfres Amdani books for learners. Some already listed.
Budapest - Elin Meek
Trwy’r Ffenestri - Frank Brennan, adapted by Manon Steffan Ros
Cai - Eurig Salisbury
Un o ble wyt ti - Ioan Kidd
Cyfres Cig A Gwaed: Deffro - Angharad Edwards
Os MĂȘts - Bethan Gwanas
Y Llyfrgell - Fflur Dafydd
Cofio Anghofio - Alan Maley, Elin Meek (Translator)
Cyffesion Saesnes yng Nghymru - Sarah Reynolds
Cawl (a straeon eraill) - various authors
Inc - Manon Steffan Ros
'Dyn ni yn mynd i hela arth - Michael Rosen/Helen Oxenbury, Gwynne Williams (Translator)
Mog, y Gath Anghofus - Judith Kerr

20 Likes

didn’t know where else to post this but I bought Aran’s book off amazon last week and it came in the post yesterday, I look forward to reading it tomorrow,

1 Like

Oh wow! That’s brilliant. Thank you. I’m definitely going to download some (all) of these :smiley:

1 Like

Two more from Cyfres Amdani.
“O Gaerfyrddin i Go Compare” by Wynne Evans and Elin Meek is the story of tenor Wynne Evans. It is written as an interview with Elin Meek asking the questions and Wynne Evans answering. The language is quite straightforward and is graded at Mynediad (Entry) level. Unusually for a book of this type, it has coloured photos.
Going up a level to Sylfaen, we have “Yn Ei Gwsg” by Bethan Gwanas. Dafydd’s wife has left him, the washing machine has broken down, the snails have eaten his lettuces and his car has failed its MOT. Surely nothing else can happen. Then he wakes up covered in blood. This book is more light-hearted than might appear from the cover picture. I stayed up much too late reading this, because I had to find out what would happen.
Both books have a list of potentially new words at the bottom of each page and a glossary at the end.
Sue

3 Likes

And there are quite fun extended exercises that go with Yn Ei Gwsg on the Parallel Cymru website
:+1:

Wynne has used SSiW to help him learn Welsh and was a fun participant in a bwtcamp one year - lovely guy!

3 Likes

This book isn’t Welsh, but one of the main characters is a Welsh Minstrel named Dafyyd ap Gwilym who lived in the 1300s. Does that count? It’s called The Minstrel and the Mercenary and it can be found on Amazon if any are interested. I apologize if this wasn’t the right place to post this.

2 Likes

Hi everyone, I’m enjoying seeing the recommendations of books I might be able to read in the near future. I was wondering if anyone has a list of English-language books set in early or high medieval Wales. I’m thinking of something like Bernard Cornwell’s Last Kingdom series but focusing on Welsh historical events from a similar period. I’ve seen a few books online, but they often seem to have a fantasy aspect (which I’m not entirely opposed to), but I’d prefer something with a decent historical grounding. I’d like it to be a fairly easy read (I’m really looking for good travel reading).

Thanks!

Here be dragons by Sharon Penman. Tells the story of King John’s illegitimste daughter who married Prince Llewelyn. It’s the first of a trilogy but I’ve only read the first one.

2 Likes

Meddyliau Eilir - Eilir Jones

Here’s another book from the Stori Sydyn series and at a cost of just £1.99 is always worth a punt. Whether you like Eilir’s sense of humour is personal but I have to admit to finding it pretty funny. This book covers a whole host of stuff that he thinks of as nonsense for him to poke fun at including self help books, talking with the dead, faith healing, aliens, and so on, and I have to agree with 99% of what he says.

Being a Stori Sydyn book puts this at an easy to intermediate sort of level. Eilir’s writing style and use of the Gog language is easy to get to grips with. I enjoyed it very much.

3 Likes

Sorry, but that always makes me laugh - how can ÂŁ1.99 be worth ÂŁ1? :rofl:

5 Likes