They don't want to

Shwmae Pawb,
I’m doing the Southern course and something that came up briefly in level 1 has arisen in level 2 and I don’t understand it fully…
So i challenge 9 about half way through we het to a set of sentences relating to thigs ‘they’ dont want to do and these words which don’t seem to have any explanation jump out and scare me. So for, “They don’t want to tell us” it sounds like “Na g’nhw moyn dweud wrth i ni”. Can anyone explain where the “Na g’ nhw” bit comes from and how it’s formed please?
Diolch.
Gareth M

1 Like

“Na g’ nhw” comes from “Nag ydyn nhw” which is “they are not” - (They are not wanting to tell us = they don’t want to tell us :wink: )

2 Likes

Diolch Siaron, Dw i’n hapus iawn achos dw i wedi clywed yn gywir. Many thank for the explanation. Gareth

2 Likes

Yes, very Cwm Tawe (Swansea & Valley) I think. To be fair, the “na gw…” form seems to be more common here than the S Wales “Sai/so” or “dw I ddim”.

Got to say I love the Gwynedd “Nad ydy ddim” and “Dwi’m” as well. Vive la différence :slight_smile:

So ni’n gweld nhw; Na g’nhw moyn; Ydyn nhw ddim yn gwybod. Its enough to make my head explode… Again…

1 Like