They will go?

Hi

I’ve been learning these future tense conjugations of mynd but it seems ‘they will go’ doesn’t render properly in my browsers.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/welshathome/textversion/sw_f_kitchen_calendar_togo.shtml

What should this be?

While i’m on - could somebody tell me how I would say "did you find those books?
my crude guess goes something like: nes ti feindio’r llyfrau?

1 Like

The short form of ‘they will go’ is ‘Ân nhw’.

Your crude guess is not crude at all, it’s almost there - you just need the ‘those’, so “nes ti ffeindio’r llyfrau 'na?”
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Do we sound the “ff” in aiff hi?

yup :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great! Thanks Siaron. That’s good for my confidence to know I was almost there.

So, ‘na’ is used as ‘those’ in that sentence? Is ‘na’ a shortened form of something?

yes, 'na is a shortening of yna. Yna can mean ‘those’ and also ‘there’. When you say “y llyfrau 'na” you are kind of literally saying “the books there” but in Welsh this is ‘those books’ and probably the most common way of saying it.
There are some other ways of ‘those’ which are a little more complicated (they depend on whether the object is indefinite, masculine, feminine and within sight or out of sight!), but ‘yna’ (or 'na) can be used in all cases.

4 Likes

Thanks for explaining that Siaron. That’s really helpful!

2 Likes

Thanks again Siaron. I have been learning Welsh in a more conventional way with Welsh i oedolion, and spent lots of time worrying about whether it should be bod/fod/mod etc as well as trying to remember different variations for those etc. Now I have discovered SSIW my Welsh has improved dramatically. OK perhaps I’m not grammatically correct but at least I’m speaking with confidence.

6 Likes

I learnt Welsh the ‘conventional’ way too (before SSiW as around) and as a result I still worry a bit about those things, but once I realised hardly anyone is 100% correct 100% of the time (and I include 1st language speakers, not just learners!), it made a huge difference.

2 Likes

In fact, learners are much, much more likely to be correct because they have been taught ‘correct’ forms. I have told elsewhere on the Forum of the time when, at a scientific conference, a delegate from Israel complemented me on my English. I said, “but it is my mother tongue!” “Yes” he replied, “that is why it is so surprisingly good, It is so easy to understand you!” “Oh, I see… well I work with people from everywhere from China to Mexico and Finland to South Africa and have learned to speak slowly and clearly!” And my friend who met English in school and was forced to speak nothing else or feel the cane in wales, his English was much better than mine!

2 Likes

Hi again Siaron. Would you mind helping me out again.

I want to learn natural way to say “he was/she was” as in "he was a teacher.’ I’ve learned Roedd o’n and Roedd hi’n. Is this right/ is it different in spoken language?

Also. Could you translate "what happened to…"as in what happened to your car. Since starting to leave Welsh, Ive been conscious of phrases I use a lot in conversation and that is one.

Finally, am I Right to say “Mae nhwn dod o…” to say “they are from” ?

Hi @Nadip ;
"Roedd o’n athro " is right but the “r” will usually get dropped in everyday speech
“Be digwyddodd i eich car?” is how I would say ,“what happened to your car”
"Mae’n nhw’n dod o " is right :slight_smile:

1 Like

Excellent. Thanks Sam. Much appreciated

1 Like

Just a little tweak to Sam’s answer - “eich” is either a quite formal singular “you” or a plural “you”, so I’d only use it if referring to, say, a couple or if I was being very polite to an older person I didn’t know. In most cases I would say “Be’ digwyddodd i dy gar?”

Otherwise - what Sam said!

2 Likes

I misread the English in the question as “has happened”, so was thinking along the lines of “Beth sy’ 'di digwydd i dy gar?” Does that work OK?

1 Like

yep, that works fine too :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks Richard,

For now, i’ll stick with Be digwyddodd for simplicity but out of interest, can you tell me how ‘sy’’ is used here and how its pronounced?

In this sentence, you are kind of saying “what is it that has happened to you car” - which does sound clunky in English, but perfectly fine in Welsh!
The sy (pronounced like see) is a shortened sydd (pronounced similarly to seeth), and more or less corresponds to the ‘that’.
The 'di, by the way, is a shortened wedi which gives you the ‘has’.
In long form, the whole sentence would be “Beth sydd wedi digwydd i dy gar”, but Richard’s version is what you would more commonly hear in speech.

1 Like

Great. Thanks again Siaron

Siaron, fach, and despite my age, I am definitely ‘ti’ to you, I learned ‘maen nhw’ rather than ‘mae’n nhw’. Comment?