Time For Us to Get Together - giant North American SSiW Meetup

It has almost been a year since I started my SSIW journey, and I have thoroughly enjoyed the lessons, the very friendly and helpful forum and most of all-participating in Welsh conversations on line every week (thanks for setting that up @delawarejones!)

This meet up on line at East Coast Time Zone Meetup Beginning has got me thinking that it might be time for SSIWers in America (and anyone else who would like to join!) to gather together and meet up face to face. I know this would be a big undertaking, but after spending a weekend at NAFOW (North American Festival of Wales) I realize that when people who share a similar passion come together, magical experiences can happen.

To this end, I have created a survey for people to share their ideas with me on what a National Meet Up might look like. It is a quick survey that I created to get an idea on people’s ideas on how to get something like this up and running.

If you would like to offer your thoughts please: CLICK HERE

Once I have a good amount of responses, I will evaluate them all and come back to the Forum and share.

Thanks so much!

7 Likes

Diolch yn fawr, Kelly am gwneud hwn. Thank you very much for doing this. An SSiW meet up in the US would be an exciting event to put together and attend. A chance to meet face-to-face…total blast!

1 Like

The North American Festival of Wales ! :open_mouth:

I never knew there was such a thing…

That is cool… :metal:

2 Likes

Hey Court,

That is what I was thinking as well. Perhaps we can bring it up at the next meet up.

Hope you are having a great week!

1 Like

Hi! Yes, NAFOW is pretty cool. It focuses mainly on people in America that have Welsh heritage or family. I was hoping to put together a meet up of people interested in the Welsh Language and learning it. My thought was to bring together several SSIW users and have a big meet up.
You can google NAFOW. It is happening in September in Milwaukee this year. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve taken the liberty of adding to your title to make it more obvious what it’s about, and I’ll include it in next week’s newsletter. Hopefully that will get you some more responses. What a great idea!

1 Like

DIOLCH YN FAWR IAWN!
I think that is the boost this post needed. I am really hoping we can create a great event and have a great meet up. There is so many of us, why not get together?
I really do appreciate this!

2 Likes

Kelly, I think this would be great! I haven’t had a chance to look at the poll yet, but I will!

1 Like

Hi Anna!
Thanks! I hope I get a good response because I think it would be fun!

2 Likes

I want to thank @Deborah-SSi for posting this thread in the newsletter. I am hoping we gather more responses. Currently the survey is leaning towards:

• Having in Meet Up in the North East
  • People would like some Pub Nite, Sessions with Speakers and hopefully a Mini Boot Camp
  • They feel that three days would be ideal
  • The pricing is still up in the air, but I think everyone agrees on affordability
  • It is split between making the meet up just for SSIWer’s or inviting family to join in
  • I do have some who will help plan, execute or a mixture of both.

I would love some other responses. If you know others on the forum that have not replied to the survey-it only takes a moment, but it would help me out immensely!

By the way, if we have some adventurous people from other countries that would love to join-you are invited as well! An International Meet Up would be crazy!!!

Thanks to everyone who has given me a response!

Here’s that link again: MEET UP SURVEY

2 Likes

Just now seeing this. Not sure if my input in the survey would be any good. I’m not in a position to travel too far off in the States (live in MS). So, I would obviously prefer a meetup in the southeast. Since we’re such a large country, a national meetup might be stretching it (in my opinion, of course). Several, regional meetups might be more suited to get more people involved.

I’ve been trying for years to find anyone close to me who is learning/speaks Welsh. Nothing at all. Did find one from around the Tupelo area. Actually did meet him and his wife… in Wales (they live there now).

I’m one of those who have virtually given up on the idea of meeting someone in the States who speaks, or is learning Welsh. Would be fantastic for it to happen… but it doesn’t look promising anywhere near me here.

Sorry, I’m sure everything I’ve said is completely useless. Do hope you get better responses.

1 Like

I’ll travel! I live in San Francisco Thanks for doing this @KellyMoore