Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Awesome cheers John! Much appreciated. That’s just opened loads I can say in conversations.

2 Likes

Sort of Interest related, so not really any need for an urgent answer:
Does “Ar y Sul” as in the folksong have any idiomatic meaning beyond it’s literal translation, which I’m taking as: on (the) Sunday?

Also dros y sul, instead of dros y penwythnos.

http://www.s4c.cymru/clic/e_level2.shtml?programme_id=531999379

Chris Chopping is what one might call a brave learner…
from Minute 2-9

2 Likes

Ar y Sul = on Sundays (for the more specific “on Sunday” or “on the Sunday”, it would be Ar ddydd Sul / Ar y dydd Sul).

yup, “Dros y Sul” = over the weekend (and can also be heard used in an adjective kind of way e.g. weekend bag = bag dros y sul)

4 Likes

Ah, great thanks, Siaron. That was quick!

I am used to hearing ‘syniad’ for idea and have come across ‘ensyniad’ for insinuation. So I expected ‘ensynio’ for insinuate and have heard it said that way but Aran and Catrin sound to me like they are saying ‘ensyni’. I have heard it pronounced more like ‘ensynia’ but not ‘ensyni’. Am I mishearing it or is this another variation, please, or maybe a different use of the word?
Thank you in anticipation.

Raymond

2 Likes

Yes: GPC dictionary has:
Ensyniad = insinuation, innuendo; idea.
Ensynio = insinuate

Ensynio sounds anglicised to me - not saying it actually is - but I’ve obviously picked up ensynu from somewhere, and even if the GPC doesn’t like it, I still do… :slight_smile:

1 Like

How do you “have” something abstract, like having a meeting? Is that using cael, or is that done with gyda, as it would if you possessed something? Cael would be my instinct “Dw i’n cael cyfarfod heddiw” because I can’t imagine saying that I have a meeting “with me”!. Is that right?

Gareth King’s dictionary suggests “cynnal (stem cynhali-)” for “holding a function.” As an example he gives:
We’re having a party tomorrow = *Dyn ni’n cynnal parti yfory"

2 Likes

Thanks Sionned. That makes sense if I’m the one hosting the meeting, but what if I’m just attending it?

yes, cael is fine. In fact I’ve just had an email from a colleague (who is a 1st language speaker) and I quote -
“Sai’n syniad da i ni gael cyfarfod cynhyrchu wsnos nesa”.
:slight_smile:

3 Likes

I love SSiW (and also FB Iaith) for this. Real spoken Welsh :+1:

1 Like

What does this mean? From what I’ve seen “Sai’n” is a negation in the first person singular, but I can’t see how that fits with “syniad da”. Perhaps I’m just being thick.

Yes, “sai’n” as a negation is one meaning (usually Southern), but in this case he’s shortened “bysai’n syniad da” = it would be a good idea. He’s from the North!

3 Likes

Just when I thought Welsh was easy… (said no one ever!)

Thanks Siaron (again!)

1 Like

@siaronjames may I say thanks again too, diolch eto, hefyd? You are so very helpful!

:blush:

As I’m still at work :frowning: I thought I’d mention that “Cynnal” is also used for the “maintenance” bit of “Motorway Maintenance” on our Welsh vans. Also it’s easier to spell (and fit onto a van) than maintenance. :slight_smile: Sort of upkeep, uphold type of meaning.

Can you “cynnal y gyfraith”?

1 Like