Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

@cathyzito,

Hey you’re quite lucky to be an English mother tongue speaker, if you have to call Wales! :wink:

I had orders from the USA taking way more than that to Italy. Some types of cheaper shippings may take a real long time.
However, if this is the site https://www.gomer.co.uk I was looking just yesterday at their site and they say" International orders are sent by air mail and take from up to two weeks (North America)".
So it’s probably a good idea to check what’s going on!
I’m assuming you didn’t receive a tracking number, right? (a number that allows you to see where the package is)

On the same page there’s also their contacts:
email
orders@gomer.co.uk
phone (did you remember to add international code for UK before the number? here it is)
0044 1559 363092
between 9am-5pm, Monday – Friday

1 Like

Wait, I’m going to make a different post with this, cause it also a tiny question about traveling around Wales, too.

Does anybody know if this address is just a company address or a bookstore too ((if you’re ever been there)?
Gwasg Gomer, 33 - 35 Lammas Street, Carmarthen

(doesn’t seem a bookstore from a quick look at Street View, but wait…both even and odd numbers are on both sides of the street?!
I’d better figure this out before I come to Wales! :smiley:

English is “honey month” too… that’s literally where “honeymoon” comes from. One cycle of the moon is a month. I believe it’s also the root of the word “month”, in fact.

4 Likes

I’m pretty sure it’s just the printers that Gomer use, not a bookshop too.
For a Welsh book shop in Carmarthen, best to try Siop Y Pentan, 12-14 Market Precinct, Carmarthen SA31 1QZ

2 Likes

I’m on Windows 10 too, and no problem. Which keys do you press when you’re trying to put a to bach on John?
Alt Gr and the letter you want should automatically give you the circumflex accent e.g. ê
Alt Gr and / and the letter should give you the acute accent e.g. é
Alt Gr and \ and the letter should give you the grave accent e.g. è
Alt Gr and " and the letter should give you the diaeresis accent e.g. ë

1 Like

Because in ‘honeymoon’, moon means month.

1 Like

Thank you for getting back to me. Also needed a phone number to exit the US, and then one to get to Wales. Very long phone number, (can’t wait for that bill) but I was able to talk with Gomer, and they are going to send the book out again, via UPS this time. Should receive a tracking number.
Thanks again

2 Likes

That’s what I end up doing! I like this ‘Typeit’ website Sionned suggested, though!

Hi Siaron. Many thanks. Ill try again when I get to computer with it on. Im awsy at present, using mobile phone :blush:

1 Like

How do you write “i still need to?”

mae dal eisiaui fi?

is that close??

Very close. You’re just missing the blank space between “eisiau” and “i”: Mae dal eisiau i fi

2 Likes

diolch

what about “i still want”

isit Dw i’n dal moyn

or something like Dw i’n dal 'n moyn?

Something in between. The 'n in Dw i’n moyn is actually a contracted yn, so if you stick the dal in the middle you get Dw i dal yn moyn.

2 Likes

iawn diolch yn fawr, make sense.

This is what i got so far…

“I still want to try to remember to practice learning to speak welsh”

“Dw i’n dal yn moyn trior cofio Y marfer dysgu siarad cymraeg”

Da iawn ti! Just some small typos in there, but perfectly understandable.
(No 'n before dal, to try = trio without r, and ymarfer has a blank space in there that doesn’t belong)

1 Like

diolch yn fawr…

why isn’t there a " 'n " before dal

The yn (or 'n in its form after a vowel) is used before the verb to form a sentence in the present tense. The word “dal” only acts as a modifier for that sentence. So Dw i’n moyn ymarfer becomes Dw i dal yn moyn ymarfer

1 Like

diolch…

i’m almost done with challenge 1

but this word “improve” is very hard for me to pronounce …can you spell it out phonetically for me, please…and with the softening too

1 Like

If you look underneath each lesson on the website, there’s a link to a vocabulary list which should pop up in a little new window for you… :slight_smile:

This one is ‘gwella’ or ‘wella’… the problem you might be having there is with the ‘ll’ sound… which is really just L with a bit of added h… so if you practise going ‘s’->‘shhhh’, ‘t’->‘thhhhh’, ‘p’->‘phhhhh’ to get the feel for what adding a bit of breath is like, and then put your tongue in the position for L, and then figure out a way to let some air out while you’re saying it… :slight_smile:

It’ll come with practice! Took me a while to get used to it. Turned out I had my mouth open too wide…!

1 Like