Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Not to be confused, of course, with gwrach - which means witch, hag, or old woman. Like me. :wink:

1 Like

Is there a way to give a “like” to this posting with the exception of the last two words? :blush:

2 Likes

Diolch yn fawr iawn! :black_flag:󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿:heart:

Hi,

I’m sure this has been asked and answered already, but I can’t find the answer using search function so apologies for asking again.

Where would someone who has completed Lvl 2 or Lvl 3 of SSiW join the LearnWelsh courses?

There’s the Cymraeg i Oedolion / Welsh for Adults site with links to the different regions and a wide variety of courses.

This thread might give you more of an idea if you’re thinking about different levels:

1 Like

People also say ‘dotio ar rywbeth’ (to dote on something - meaning you really like it)

On the ‘weekly welsh challenge’ site, it has ‘I can’ as Dw i’n gallu, we say Mi fedra’, is this just different ways of saying the same thing, or is one said more in certain areas?

yes, they’re different ways of saying the same thing. I think Gallu tends to be used more by Southerners and Medru by Northerners - but it’s just a matter of preference really.

Diolch Siaron.

1 Like

Helo,
I am currently on Level 2, Challenge 20 and at around 6 minutes in, the sentence is:

“You said that you thought it was fairly good”.

What I hear is: Ddudest ti bo’ ti’n meddwl fod o’n eitha da.

My question is why aren’t bod and fod the other way around, i.e. why doesn’t fod follow on from ddudest ti and bod follow meddwl? I think we began with “ddudest ti bo’……” in level 1 but now I’m more familiar with mutations, it doesn’t seem to fit.

To be totally technically grammatically correct, it would be Dwedaist ti dy fod ti’n meddwl fod o’n eitha da.
Both ‘bods’ would mutate, the first because it follows dy and the second because, if you remove the middle clause, it follows a preterite form verb (dwedaist ti fod o’n…). However, in spoken Welsh, the rules are much more relaxed and bo ti is widely used (and dwedaist also ‘slackens’ which is how it ends up as ddudest)

1 Like

Hi, been having trouble posting in Slack. I post but people cannot see it.
I posted a video just now with a paragraph in Welsh in the general-chat section of Welsh-Practice.
Can you please tell me if you see it or not?
I might have to contact Slack to get help with my settings. Thanks!

I can see the post Jen, it’s working fine.

1 Like

Thank you.

Thank you, Siaron!

1 Like

Bore da! Cwestiwn nesa….

For the question in level 2, Challenge 20, “Shall we get something else to drink as soon as possible?”, why is beth used in the Welsh translation? (Beth am i ni gael rhwybeth arall i yfed mor fuan â phosib?)

Does beth not only translate as “what” but have other functions, too?

1 Like

Really, I think it’s just a similar idea to the English “What about us getting something else to drink a.s.a.p.”

7 Likes

Yes, it’s a way of asking “should…?”
Since you ask, you might also see “beth” stuck onto another word, when it means “thing” (peth). So rhwybeth means something :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile: