Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

@Ursula I’m extreamly happy to say CROESO YMA!

And it’s approximately all I have to say as I don’t know anything about the question you are asking. However if you have more technical questions related to circuling and exploring this forum and “how to” questions related with this I’m happy to help. Some things on this techy topic you can find here as you can find some other language learning related stuff there, too.

Happy learning, posting, reading, exploring … :slight_smile:

Enjoy!

2 Likes

Oh, diolch @tatjana, I didn’t have time to give @Ursula a proper welcome! I do so now! Sorry that we don’t know anyone on here into ancient script, but I’ll bet someone will pop up before long!

3 Likes

Hi Ursula, and a warm welcome to the forum… :slight_smile:

I’m not aware of any non-Latin scripts for Welsh - I’d agree with the others who’ve suggested that script looks like Sindarin - so don’t go getting any tattoos done just yet…:wink:

4 Likes

Hello everyone!

Thank you very much for the warm welcome :blush:

Yes indeed - I shall look around more and try to figure out how to write it - I am simply in love with that word! And Aran, yes holding back on the tattoo idea for now lol :wink:

2 Likes

Hi Ursula, welcome!

In Bath, many Roman era inscriptions - curses - have been found. I like this one: “May he who carried off Vilbia from me become liquid as the water.”
Wikipedia says: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_curse_tablets
“Two of the inscriptions are in a language which is not Latin, although use Roman lettering, and may be in a British Celtic language. If this should be the case, they would be the only examples of a written ancient British Celtic language; however, there is not yet scholarly consensus on their decipherment”

The Ogham stone inscriptions found in Wales are mainly in Irish, I think, not Welsh.

If you are looking for beautiful lettering, old versions of the Mabinogi might inspire you: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Book_of_Rhydderch#/media/File:Llyfr_Gwyn_Rhydderch_f.61.r.png or
http://image.ox.ac.uk/show?collection=jesus&manuscript=ms111

2 Likes

Hi Louis!

Thank you very much for the information. I will look into it right away. Much appreciated! :grin:

2 Likes

Not sure why, but I thought I’d look at one upside down and Roman curse inscriptions tend to make lots of nice Welsh words when you turn them upside down (Neb seems to form quite easily, as do words like En, Ci and Ni). Maybe the one they think is British Celtic is actually Latin and they just need to turn it the other way up?

1 Like

Is there a Welsh word for “Brexit”?

It’s new enough that I expect I won’t find it in any dictionaries, even online ones.

Looking up “Brecsit” in Welsh Wikipedia just lead me to https://cy.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refferendwm_y_Deyrnas_Unedig_ar_aelodaeth_o’r_Undeb_Ewropeaidd,_2016 which is a big mouthful of a title.

Is there a Welsh short-form? Or is it simply called “Brecsit”?

“Prallan”? “Pradael”?

2 Likes

That’s the sort of thing I was looking for :slight_smile:

Do you know whether any of those are in use?

Very much doubt it. They say ‘Brexit’ and frown.

2 Likes

I rather like “Pradael” - though I doubt if anyone will actually start using it.

1 Like

Looking around a little, it seems that “Prydael” appears to have been used a little - Wiktionary even has an entry for it, and there’s this BBC page - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p042q592 . (Though Gweiadur has no entry for “bleislais”; presumably it’s a variant of “pleidlais”, vote.)

“Pradael” also shows up but only a couple of times in the “Brexit” sense (most of the Google hits seem to be OCR errors).

1 Like

OK then, you win! :slight_smile:
They still mostly say Brexit and frown though!

3 Likes

Are you trying to turn the world of British archaeology on its head? (so sorry, could not resist this :wink: )

2 Likes

What does cofia mean (in the north), when it’s not literally “remember”?

I’ve heard it a few times as a kind of question tag – is it something like “you know” or “after all”?

It always means ‘remember’ (as in an order) but it just happens to be used as a tag like that - a bit like the way you might say in English ‘mind’ or ‘mind you’ - ‘I didn’t know where it was, mind’…

2 Likes

Diddorol! I would say, from my experience of different places in UK, that ‘mind’ is used that way mainly in Wales and its environs, which kind of suggests that it came about from folk translating ‘cofio’ to a near equivalent! Well, that is so much thin, hot air, but I liked the notion! :smile:

I see, thanks!

It’s just that the context seemed to be something that the listener couldn’t have witnessed and thus could not remember, but now that you’ve mentioned “mind” that’s also used when the literal meaning doesn’t really make sense, isn’t it?

1 Like

Just wondering what the correct “no” would be to the following question
Oes gen ti club card ?
Is it nacydw or nacoes ?
In the heat of the moment I said nacydw but am pretty sure I should have replies nacoes ( although my daughter is adamant that the correct reply is nacydw because I wasn’t talking about what someone else has/hasn’t got )