Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

I always think…how would i continue the answer.

So,
Nac oes, does gen i ddim clubcard.

3 Likes

I just had this in (I think) 2.02 – There Oes gynnoch chi blant? was answered as Nac oes, does gynnon ni ddim plant. “which you’ll usually hear as Na, 'sgynnon ni ddim plant.”.

2 Likes

Thanks for your replies. I knew as soon as I said nacydw it was probably wrong. It’s hard to think of the right yes or no when you only have a split second to reply . At least I’ll be more likely to answer correctly the next time I’m asked a similar question

1 Like

I think you may be able to get away with.

Na
Sori

:wink:

2 Likes

Do remember, this is of absolutely trivial importance - the person you were speaking to might not even have noticed - so keep on jumping in, that’s the most important thing by far! :slight_smile: :star2:

1 Like

Just one more quick question to bug people with about the use of methu.
When saying “I can’t” in terms of not having permission to do something I say “chai ddim” but when saying “I can’t” in terms of not having the ability to do something , does “dwi’n methu gwneud o” mean exactly the same thing as “fedrai ddim gwneud o” and is there any situation where methu would not be used in this context ?
Sorry probably a bit of an obvious question/answer but just something I want to clarify for myself :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Do you worry if in english you say i can’t or i’m unable or i’m not able. Same things.:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good point Pete . Good way of putting it :grin:

1 Like

What is the difference between using nid and ddim as in the English ‘not’? Or when does nid work better and when ddim?

1 Like

Yeah, pretty much… :slight_smile:

Nid is a bit more likely to be written rather than spoken - it’s a register thing, so don’t worry about it, exposure will solve it for you… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m laying the blame for this at Post Cyntaf!

2 Likes

I’ve noticed a lot of people using “Dw i wedi mwynhau” where i would have said “Wnes i fwynhau” e.g. I enjoyed meeting you today

Is “Wnes i fwynhau” not used?

As I’m writing this I’m thinking it’s probably down to recency of the event, like in Spanish…

Even in English you can hear both e.g. “I have enjoyed meeting you” (Dw i wedi mwynhau eich cyfarfod chi) and “I enjoyed reading that book” (Wnes i fwynhau darllen y llyfr na).

It’s a different tense: present perfect versus simple past.

1 Like

Thanks Phil :slight_smile: Strangely enough, I did realise both can be used in English… it was more a question of usage.

I was thinking the one form wasn’t used much because I compared Google results for “wedi mwynhau” with “nes i mwynhau” - now I realise it was my bad grammar/spelling that was the issue! “Wnes I fwynhau” comes out with a lot more results!

Still feels like there’s some difference to Englisg in usage of the perfect when it comes to things that happened that same day… E.g. I wouldn’t say “I have enjoyed meeting you today” if sending the person a follow up email several hours later, but it seems in Welsh the perfect is ok in that scenario, am i right?

1 Like

Apropos nothing really, I wouldn’t say that, ever! “I have enjoyed today!” yes, after a day spent with someone, when saying, “Goodbye!” But the act of meeting is a single event. “I have enjoyed the Meeting today!” is OK, as it refers to the whole event. Mind, it suggests a little that this was a Meeting not usually enjoyable!

I think the spelling of colloquial Welsh is a bit more flexible so it’s harder to talk about spelling errors :slight_smile: I think both “nes i” and “wnes i” and even “gwnes i” are possible in writing, depending on (or, to some extent, regardless of) how you pronounce it when speaking.

2 Likes

This sort of tone issue rarely maps neatly between languages - in my experience, the best way to deal with it is to accept that you’ve got two different ways to say something, which both give broadly the same idea, and wait for exposure to help you build your own preferences about when you use which… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m (still) progressing on my software translation into Cymraeg and have one question (OK, might be two):

Is it OK, like with almost every language regarding software, to use single “commands” and words rather then sentences or halrf sentences when translating into Cymraeg. For example

idea - syniad
bug - nam
Email - ebost
Send - Anfon

etc.

Then, is there another term (shortening) for “demo”. I found in Cymraeg it’s the same word (might be techie thingy)

For cm (centimetres) I’ve used this international shortening which should be ok.

Is word “uchder” used in the graphics matters too, like in hight of the canvas/picture or is there more “techy” word for that which is used in computering?

And (for now) the last one:

Do you use word “modfedd” - inch in computering world or you stick with kind of “all used” “inch” instead?

Thank you for your (potential) answers.

Sorry, those were more then 2 questions. ! :slight_smile:

Oh and welcome to the forum @huwangle (as you’ve joined just recently).

Tagging @leiafee and @robbruce here for ‘common usage in tech’ insights… :slight_smile:

The Microsoft Localisation Database" will show you how’ve they’ve translated it. (Including context/software) which is superhandy.

e.g. for “height” https://www.microsoft.com/language/en-us/Search.aspx?sString=height&langID=cy-gb (Short answer, yes, it’s uchder)

There seems to be inconsistency about ebost / e-bost even within products! So I’d say pick one and stick to it.

Anfon for Send seems standard as does modfedd.

The termiadur also has an ICT section
http://www.termiaduraddysg.org/?page_id=642&lang=en

1 Like