Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

People have different ways of working, different circumstances, different aims, different personalities and have come from different pasts with different opportunities.

1 Like

I’d probably go for ‘mae gen i wythnos tan bydd rhaid i mi sefyll yr arholiad’… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Don’t you just hate/love it when what you thought was appropriate turns out to be just that!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Diolch

2 Likes

Thanks for the thoughts @philipnewton. I used it in the sense of “methinks he doth protest too much”. Just to see what reaction it might elicit. Certainly not in a general conversational sense. I was aware of it’s medieval origin but thought that it might be received much as we receive ‘methinks’. Anna’s use of the word reminded me of something that I’d almost forgotten.

Just been looking at hyd yn oed, even, level 3 ch 4. I assume that knowing it’s positioning within a sentence becomes instinctive with practice but is there a rule of thumb to get the order correct? (which I also assume applies to other words as well?)

Have a think about english.

Even that is different.

That is different even.

Hyd yn oed, mae hynny’n wahanol.

Mae hynny’n wahanol hyd yn oed.

Just go with the flow

2 Likes

And now for a question that I’m sure is “university of the blinkin’ obvious” type of question, but I’m hearing iawn iawn a lot on the radio - is this as blindingly obvious as it seems = very very?

4 Likes

Wrth gwrs, mae’n amlwg iawn iawn :wink:

Ps. Yfory, dwi ddim isio ateb cwestiynau o gwbl!

Of course, it is very very obvious :wink:

Ps. Tomorrow, I do not want to answer questions at all!

2 Likes

It varies, and only rarely will one option be ‘correct’ and the other ‘wrong’, so don’t worry about it… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I had terrible trouble over ‘even’ Rich! I have come to the conclusion that all I can do is use ‘hyd yn oed’ in sentences exactly as I would use ‘even’. I am told there is no rule in Welsh, so the fact that I would never say, ‘before I answer even’, but always, ‘even before I answer’ is a quirk of mine, but allowable! My favourite grammar expert, if he has time, may help us! @garethrking …pretty please!!! :smile:

1 Like

Stop overthinking things!!! Just listen out for it on s4c and radio cymru etc.

Same for lots of things eg mutations. If you miss one or use the wrong one noone in conversation is going to stop and correct you.

Imagine a free flowing conversation that suddenly stops whilst you um and ah about correct formal grammar.

It just ain’t gonna work ya know. :wink:

4 Likes

This… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Even THAT is different would be Mae hyd yn oed hynny’n wahanol - the hyd yn oed goes directly before what it refers to, when it refers to a single idea.

hyd yn oed can start a sentence in Welsh, though it seems to be much more often tagged on at the end.

I’ll even pay for everybody
Mi dala i dros bawb, hyd yn oed - no other obvious easy place to put the hyd yn oed there, I would suggest

They even asked for their money back
Naethon nhw ofyn am gael eu harian yn ôl, hyd yn oed
Naethon nhw ofyn hyd yn oed am gael eu harian yn ôl
Both these sound OK to me

As for @henddraig 's:

Even before I answer
Hyd yn oed cyn i mi ateb
Cyn i mi ateb, hyd yn oed

I sort of prefer the second one of those - though I wouldn’t say the first was wrong…

Tricky tricky tricky…

5 Likes

Diolch yn fawr @garethrking I can now see that my instinct does not fit well with usage yn Gymraeg. I may well sound odd for some time before getting used to a different usage!

1 Like

Everybody does. Nobody, as in nobody, speaks Welsh perfectly from the very beginning… :slight_smile:

1 Like

aye, but fun to try to work it out!

1 Like

All comes with time and practice, @henddraig - as I am sure you don’t need me to tell you! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Absolutely! :slight_smile:

Got to say learning welsh has been such fun. Where i was brought up it was considered a dying language.

But to me it’s vibrant, useful, interesting, rewarding, fun and just…well…feels right.

5 Likes