Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

People thinking in absolutes and set in stone thoughts
“its dying, no point”…based on false evidence
They could easily revive it more if they care
Some people seem to be Welsh when watching the English made games of rugby and football…but seem little inspired past that…probably cos supporting a team is very easy and requires little effort

Well just be careful. You look up something quickly, meaning to spend 5 minutes. The next you know, you look up at the clock, and it’s an hour and half later, you’re pleasantly tired :slight_smile: , but knowing a lot more. But as @ramblingjohn says, it’s remembering that’s the challenge.

2 Likes

Curiosity time. I’m following the Northern lessons/challenges. I was initially surprised by the familiar ‘you’ form chdi and have always had some difficulty saying it, at least smoothly. So I have been wondering if I can use ti in the places where Aran and Catrin say chdi? Or at least some of them. Is that appropriate?

3 Likes

I believe so.

I was too, probably, in the early days (of Course 1), but eventually it began to come naturally. If “Rownd a Rownd” is anything to go by, it really is used “in the wild”, and if anything, more than the “ti” form (at least in that programme :slight_smile: ).

1 Like

I hear “iawn siwr” a lot on “Rownd a Rownd” (that’s my Further Education College of Gogiaith… :wink: ).

2 Likes

Conversely, I remember iawn iawn from “Rownd a Rownd” from where Jim “Gym” told someone that he was siomedig iawn iawn “very, very disappointed” with them.

1 Like

Yes, in all of them, if you want… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am a mixed up de/gog and have never taken to chdi or yndy, so I say ti and ydy and @aran just shrugs! If I ever found myself in N.Wales they’d smile at my Hwntw and back in the south, I’d have to stop saying medru and isia! Oh, it’s gyda not efo as well!!

1 Like

@henddraig, it really depends on the company you keep. I learned Hwntw lingo in class and with @Iestyn, but found myself saying “efo” at the end of a bootcamp.

2 Likes

Oh, if I ever could get to a bootcamp I’d end up sounding exactly like the most dominant accent/usage! Every time I went from Gower to Gwynedd, I returned knowing I sounded Bangor/Gogledd!! Picking up accents is something I have lived with all my life! I will never forget going to a Scientific Meeting in Paris and coming back sounding as if I’d just got off the plane from Quebec!!!

1 Like

That would be Llio I imagine after her being video’d while tipsy.
Come to think “iawn siwr” is probably more emphatic, and used on its own, whereas “iawn iawn” is probably more like a reinforcing.thing, and part of a phrase.

1 Like

You do know that you don’t have to tag me every time you use my name, don’t you?..:slight_smile:

2 Likes

A good warning, @mikeellwood - I’ve been known to go look up a word in my Modern Welsh dictionary, and suddenly realize it’s half an hour later as one bit leads to another :blush: I blame all those helpful examples that are in there!

Yup, the trick is definitely remembering. It’s generally only after I use or hear something several times that it really sticks. Like that SSiW method, you know? :wink:

2 Likes

I think it was a bit earlier, during the “Erin takes selfie in Iolo’s bed” story, but I don’t remember what Jim was disappointed about then.

I think his reaction to the tipsy thing used the siomu verb rather than the siomedig adjective.

OK, genuine non April Fool post this time.

What is the S Wales pronunciation of Llyn (for lake)?
I’m ok with the N Wales pronunciation from school-boy general knowledge:
Lake, llyn, loch, lough :slight_smile:

However, for some reason, in S. Wales, my mind is telling me to pronounce Glan Llyn (*Edit Lakeside - I think) as Glan Lleen. OK probably wrong as we don’t say Gleen or Breen for glyn and bryn. It’s just that Glan Llinn doesn’t seem to flow, if you get my drift.

Llyn, to rhyme with Bryn and Glyn.
I live not far from Llyn Llech Owain, in Sir Gar.

1 Like

Thanks @JohnYoung for asking that and @margaretnock for answering!

I had always said it as “llŷn” in my head :blush:

Gweiadur’s audio recording also has “llyn” with short vowel, I now see.

1 Like

Well i mispronounced it on monday… @gruntius did look confused. I had mentioned that we had had a talk about Llyn Cerrig Bach to him. I can see his confusion…why would anyone receive a talk about a picture of a small stone. Doh.

Llyn. Rhymes with Glyn.

5 Likes

Depends who painted the picture! Was Picasso or Michaelangelo or Van Gogh…? into small rocks?