Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Wouldn’t usually have thought so - maybe they were feeling sleepy or confused…:wink:

Mmm… not impossible, but not very likely in colloquial speech…

2 Likes

I have a quick question, mainly about word order. Mae gyda fi ffrind as opposed to Mae ffrind gyda fi… are both correct? Is there a difference in meaning? I think it might be just a matter of emphasis, ond dw i ddim yn siwr.

3 Likes

Yup - just a variant, really more about personal preference than anything else… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

There’s a typo I think in the Vocab for Challenge 14 Southern https://www.saysomethingin.com/welsh/level1/challenge14 , hope this is an appropriate place to point it out for fixing?

Says “dwedodd hi – he said”

Should be “dwedodd hi – she said” should it?

A perfect place - and thank you very much indeed for catching that (now fixed!) :slight_smile: :stars: :star2:

3 Likes

Yes, in that wyt is also never followed by chdi. :slight_smile:

Nor any of the other inflected forms of bod, actually…

When ti is the subject of the sentence, it can’t be swapped with chdi - I think that’s safe…

4 Likes

Yes, the more I think about it, the more I think the rule is that ti can only be chdi when it’s either object pronoun or with a preposition…

You can definitely hefo chdi ‘with you’, and I think (with conjugated prepositions) you can say amdanachdi for amdanat ti, though it might be worth checking that with one of the native speakers…

2 Likes

I’ve heard things along those lines on Rownd a Rownd, I’m sure.

I’m not sure which particular ones and whether this works for all conjugated prepositions, but definitely for at least some.

2 Likes

Definitely hear this plenty…:slight_smile:

3 Likes

I was thinking the exact same thing. :relieved::sweat:

• note to self: learn some grammar … sometime.

** goes back to picking nose.

7 Likes

By the time you get round to it, you’ll realise that you nose it all, sorry knows it all, already. :wink:

3 Likes

Hi Sionned and all,

I am unsure if this reply will now come onto the broader thread. I don’t use the Forum often and am unsure how to work effectively in it :slight_smile:

Anyway…I hope someone sees this and can give me a bit of support.

I have completed everything there is on offer at the moment of the Southern version of SSiW - so many thanks to everyone that has made this material available :slight_smile:

I now want to compile one CD for in the car with all the revision lessons on it so I can regularly wander through them all.

The old material is clear to me: If I pop Cwrs1 lesson 25 and Vocal Unit 10 on the CD; and Cwrs two lessons 24 and 25 and vocal unit 10 on the CD; and Cwrs 3 lessons 24 and 25 on the CD I have complete revision CD of the ‘old’ material.

The new course, the Levels are a little less clear for me :slight_smile: Are there summary/revision lessons? And if so, which lesson numbers are they?

Does anyone have this info handy? It would contribute greatly to my ease in getting this little job jobbed :slight_smile:

many thanks,

Elkie

2 Likes

Not in quite the same way, but it works out more or less the same - so if you take 24 and 25 from Level 1 and 24 and 25 from Level 2, you’ll cover a good 95%+… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I was wondering if there is a page, or if one could be set up for ‘media’. That is, where people flag up interesting shows on S4C, interesting radio chats on Radio Cymru, or films and theatre happening in their local area. I need to improve my listening. I can watch some things without the subs on S4C now. It would be nice to have some ideas without having to sift through the 100+ hr a week of radio cymru.
Thanks
Mihil

2 Likes

Also does anyone have a link to/be kind enough to upload a map of wales where the place names are only in Welsh?

Hi Mihil, you could search for “S4C” and that will bring up a fair few suggestions or you could start a new thread for yourself asking for help.

A couple of suggestions from me …

Byw celwydd seems quite popular.
35diwrnod was a big hit.
Y Gwyll was a brilliant series.

I think you may not be able to get all the episodes of those series now. There’s always the two soaps if you are that way inclined … Pobl y Cwm and Rownd a Rownd.

There are also some good science based documentaries from time to time.

Oh, and there are loads of sites that sell maps, some downloadable too. Here’s a map of the world in Welsh that I thought was cool … http://www.mapsofworld.com/world-maps/welsh.html

I wanted one to put up in work but never did buy one. I’ll have a look for one of Wales now you’ve got me thinking.

3 Likes

yes I do watch 35Diwrnod. Y Detectif is good. I am looking for Y Gwyll, but the Cymraeg version. But I don’t have a DVD player…

1 Like

How would you say

Sense of Entitlement

?

1 Like

Yikes. Both Catrin and I would instinctively go for ‘sens of entitlement’ - even Bruce struggles with this - you’d need to find a workaround - like ‘mae o/hi yn teimlo bod ganddo/i hawl i bob dim’, something like that…

3 Likes

I really like that map. Thanks for sharing :grinning: Do you know why it says “Canada Shield”?