Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

I tried looking at some other languages… the Greek includes such gems as Ανταρκτική Circle, as well as some places where they’ve made basic mistakes with the alphabet, so I think I’d be inclined to view the quality of their output with some caution…

2 Likes

@tatjana This is such a useful hint, would it be a good idea to put it in the “Really useful…” thread?

The first has finished on live broadcast, may be available on line, not sure if it’s on International. 35Diwrnod, 2nd(?) series, is currently on but nearing its end. Very convoluted plot lines and very dark ‘feel’. Y Gwyll, 3rd series, now starting in English as Hinterland and likely not available in either language until all those episodes have aired, unless it’s still on line. Have heard it’s hard to get DVDs in Welsh.

To @Mihil I like your idea. we have various threads for different programs and general one which tend to get taken over by what is ‘trending’. You could ask about the sort of programs you choose to watch in any language, what interests you!

1 Like

Will do later on.

1 Like

@aran @wondersheep
I am flagging you as moderators. Help!
This morning, just before going to make cinio, I started to comment in ‘What’s Outside’ and was blocked. The message said, “New users are limited to three replies.”
Now, I presume I count as such due to recent ban. In fact, I seem to have lost the facility for starting a new PM as well, as I tried to use that to ask for help in this matter and ended up unable to think of anything but using this thread.
Please, if, after bans, restrictions are imposed, would you warn the person concerned? It would save a lot of hassle!
Also, the bit about new users, I was very surprised as I thought it didn’t seem very welcoming. I thought it must mean ‘in one day’, but I am writing this OK! Does it mean one session? How long has it operated for?
Or, is it a glitch? How about not being able to create a PM?
Any help gratefully received!
Hit another problem, new users only allowed to mention 2 people! Had to remove Dee and Iestyn from list at top of this!

That sounds like a reduction in your ‘trust settings’ - Discourse does a lot of quite complex things around forum behaviour, most of which seem to work pretty well. I’ve over-ridden this so that your trust levels are back at ‘member’.

2 Likes

Diolch yn fawr! I might not have been able to send this, otherwise! How about new members? Can you increase their allowances?

I’m happy with the current settings, which are part of our defence system against spam accounts.

@henddraig Your username is now showing in proud black electronic print … when you first came back into the fold, you were a sort of ghostly grey. I’m glad you are back, and not just as a ghostly wraith! :wink: (“wraith” is a rather nice English word. Out of curiosity, I looked it up in Gweiadur, and it gave: “drychiolaeth, ysbryd”).

(I seem to remember that wraiths featured in “Lord of the Rings” (although I think JK Rowling sort of nicked the idea for Harry Potter).

(I’m guessing that you are more comfortable as a draig than as a drychiolaeth).

1 Like

Yn wir! Truly!

Done here in the @seren’s list - under section “Learning problems” link “Which lessons to do for revision”. I hope it’s OK that way.

Brilliant! Diolch yn fawr!

1 Like

I’m hearing a lot of ceisio, rather than trio. Is this one of them dialectical differences or is there any difference in meaning?

2 Likes

In the old Course 1, right at the beginning, Aran explains that ceisio is an older word for trio. They are interchangeable. I tend to use trio because that is what I learned first. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

To @margaretnock. I was browsing the thread yn Gymraeg and saw an exchange between you and Pete about speed. You had put 300 cm/hr Now I am fairly sure that the Internationally agreed units rule. You can, of course, write cilomedr, but cm = centimetre Internationally on pain of total chaos! Now I am not actually sure of this, but it seems to be what ruled when I was working. But I never did physics through the medium of Welsh. So I am asking, does anyone know? I mean, I remember a French colleague being upset at the demise of the Curie, and I pointed out that the Curies were half Polish, whereas M. Becquerel, for whom the new unit was named, was entirely French.

Shouldn’t that be cm/a? :wink:

Seriously, the international unit nomenclature is km/h, for example as is done in Ireland: “Since the text “km/h” on Irish speed limit signs is a symbol, not an abbreviation, it represents both “kilometres per hour” (English) and “ciliméadar san uair”(Irish)” (Wikipedia). But UK speed signs don’t show this, I don’t think.
Another example: French, like Welsh, does not have the letter “k” other than in loan words, but uses kilometre (at least in my dictionary).
So the correct description is km/h, and it has nothing to do with English nor Welsh, and you are totally correct, @henddraig

3 Likes

And I’m quite prepared to believe I’m wrong. Didn’t think of it being an international unit, just a translation issue.

1 Like

I never know if I want to be a billionaire or a millionaire in Welsh (yn filiwnydd) :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Depends on the currency. 1,000,000 Lao Kip will get you 4 nights in a middle range travel lodge type of place. £1,000,000 and I could think of retiring.

3 Likes

As @a_jay says.

I tend to find ceisio used more here (Cardiff) by “Westies” (as I affectionately call people from the Gorllewin not the dogs) than Gogs.

Only think, Margaret?? Surely you would travel on to anywhere your fancy listed before eventually settling in luxury and bliss, doing volunteer work when you had the urge! (I sort of started out doing the settling and bliss and volunteering on Gower before finding my finances were not quite up to my cottage’s needs!)
To @louis Thanks for the reassurance. I had a notion that centimetres per second went at the same time as the curie, but I was more concerned with units which directly effected my work!