Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Picture of car key! Clever! I was working in London in radiochemistry in '68 and moved to Harrogate in '69, but I don’t recall the logo! Of course, in those days I had no TV! But my most vivid memory of mixing up units was before that in about '62 as a student. New flat with proper cooker. Four girls sharing with assorted male accoutrements! Had trouble cooking something in the oven and suddenly one of us gasped, “Do you think it could be in Fahrenheit?” (It was")

2 Likes

Here’s a link to a BBC article from 2014, if anyone wants to take a look.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3934353.stm

1 Like

Here you go, a little hwb from our holiday in Laos two years ago.

2 Likes

Mistake here. 1,000,000 Kip will get you 40 nights in a mid range hotel. Still not enough to retire on. 100,000 will get you a five hour, 215 km bus trip from Botan, on the border with China, to Huy-Xai, on the border with Thailand.

2 Likes

I really only went through Laos. I exchanged 100 Yuan for 119,500 Kip so I never had that Millionaire experience. It all went in less than a day.

3 Likes

May I say, Margaret, that your postings make the importance of knowing which units you are dealing with very clear as well as how easy it is to lose sight of powers of ten!! I did that with an experiment once and had to have a couple of lads ready, either side of me, to put the fire out when my flask burst into flames! Later, the chap in charge of extinguishers complained, *This one has been used!" (He was lucky it was only one!). “Why didn’t you report the accident?” he asked. “Oh,” I answered cheerfully, “The fire wasn’t exactly an accident. We knew it was going to happen! The accident was in the powers of ten!” (Poor confused man!)

1 Like

If you are listing things off, would you continue to mutate all the verbs? As in, for example,

Wnes i fynd gytre, fwyta cinio a fynd mas eto.

Mutate bwyta and the second mynd like that, or not?

2 Likes

Cwestiwn didderol. Dwi’n aros am yr ateb :slight_smile:
Sorry - For some reason, I struggled to respond in Welsh, when there was no need :frowning:
“Interesting question. I’m waiting for the answer”.

2 Likes

Going by what I remember of Gareth King’s (relatively) simple rule for mutations (other than after certain prepositions), I’d say the answer is no.

The first “mynd” mutates because it comes immediately after the subject of the verb “i”.

The other two verbs don’t.

Not 101% certain though. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

No, mostly not - wnes i fynd gytre, bwyta cinio a mynd mas eto… (not sure what ‘real’ grammar says, but in terms of common usage)… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Diolch, Aran! I guessed wrong :slight_smile: Makes sense, though!

2 Likes

Happy Easter, All
Pasg hapis i Chi gyd.

4 Likes

Hi, my mom is currently thinking of names for her next exhibition’s paintings and one of them will have a Welsh name (Yay). I thought I’d ask you guys for some name ideas :smile:

Here’s the painting:

We’re sort of aiming for feelings and emotions and things like that (for example, other names (for other paintings) include “thrilled” and “languor”)
So, what do you think that cactus is feeling, in Cymraeg?

1 Like

With the feather? Gobaith

4 Likes

Anghyfbwys? (unbalanced)

1 Like

sychedig - thirsty.

Cheers J.P.

2 Likes

For some reason I thought of “Hyder” (Confidence).

Possibly because it looked confident, but also because Hyder used to be the name of a water company, playing on the word hydro.

Wikipedia has it as meaning Water, but I think that it is mistaken and might have confused itself from the term “Hyder mewn dwr/confidence in water”

1 Like

Pigog - spiky, prickly

1 Like

Reminds me, on Rownd a Rownd people are always using a word that sounds like “pigo” or “pico”, which (as far as I can work out) ,means something like “pop into [somewhere or maybe to see someone]”, e.g. used when popping into a shop to buy something. Not sure how it’s spelt - not managed to catch it on the Welsh subtitles (haven’t tried that hard, admittedly). Not sure if slang, a local usage, or a proper word.

Is it “pigo’r fyny”? - to pick up. My fiancee says it all the time