Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Used quite often in the north. Pico mewn to nip into somewhere. Your assumption on meaning was spot on.

Pigo is to pick, as in the program “pigo dy drwyn” on S4C.

4 Likes

Diddorol! Diolch!

1 Like

‘Breuddwyd pigog’

2 Likes

suglys… because I think it would be feeling succulent :smiley:

1 Like

Diolch yn fawr iawn i chi, @Sionned, @henddraig, @ramblingjohn, @JohnYoung, @yorkshireend, @netmouse and @siaronjames! :heart:

Thank you, we love those! Mom really liked them all, and I think she’s going to choose “Hyder”.

Ooh, very interesting that you see it as a feather! It’s actually supposed to be another part of the same cactus, but I can see it now that you mention it :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s. brilliant thanks Novem. That’s. The first naming competition I’ve ever won.

2 Likes

Gweiadur has it as picio and glosses it as “to pop”.

I imagine there may be various spellings around…

I think I also heard it as piciad once.

I use the pause button too. Probably because I am old now,it takes me a little while to get my mind assembled, but I am learning at a reasonable speed.

2 Likes

Correct - nes i fynd gartre, bwyta cinio a mynd mas eto - for the reasons you state :slight_smile:

7 Likes

A great name for Cactus in Welsh = Sion heb siafo (John without shaving) … the “o” in sion needs to have a circumflex symbol above it though (to bach) @Novem

2 Likes

Cwestiwn

What is the difference between
Am ddim = free
Rhad ac am ddim = free?

1 Like

the second is just a more flowery way of saying the first, there’s no difference in meaning, they both mean ‘for nothing’ i.e. free (of charge). Worth remembering that free as is the context of freedom is a different word though - that would be ‘rhydd’.

6 Likes

I do not know this for sure, but I am free, I am not a slave. Would that be rhad, and 'buy one get on free; would be prynu un ac un cael am ddim? Rhad also seems to mean ‘free’ - so rhad am ddim = free and clear?
Or???

Rhad = cheap/inexpensive
Rhydd = free (not a slave)
Rhad ac am ddim (or just am ddim) = free/for nothing/no cost

@siaronjames posted at the same time as you I guess, see above. :blush:

3 Likes

Interesting…this has a different meaning in the US…

In Level 3, challenge 6, we have;
ahead - o’n blaenau ni

Would I be right in assuming that this doesn’t change with the person?

Also, I’ve seen on bilingual road signs: " … o blannen", where it used to be “…o’ flaen”.

Hopefully valid (if the sign writing is correct) :slight_smile:
Having said that, I’ve seen some strange translations on signs.

so they have the same meaning then?

Hmmmmm, interesting, thanks John

1 Like