Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Nope, sorry! O’ch blaenau chi, [ahem: actually correct example: o’u blaenau nhw], ayyb… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

okay so blaenau being the plural of blaen is used with both singular and plural persons because thats just the way it is right?

Ooh, no, good spot - I engaged fingers before brain there with my examples. O’ch blaenau chi, O’u blaenau nhw, O’n blaenau ni, but O dy flaen di, O fy mlaen i, O’i flaen o, O’i blaen hi… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It might be worth a mention that SwiftKey automatically detects whether you type in English or Welsh (you have to download Welsh first) so that you don’t have to swap keyboards as you would with any other language that it offers. If you download Russian for example, you just have to swipe the space key to bring up the Russian alphabet.

1 Like

“half past ten” – I had learned hanner awr wedi deg – is hanner wedi deg without the awr also in use? Does either seem more common?

Both in use, both very acceptable.

Natural speakers sometimes say it really fast so it sounds like “han’di saith” e.e.

4 Likes

Thank you very much!

(Also for reading my mind and answering the implied “which is considered more acceptable” question!)

1 Like

But remember, @debw12, that it’s o’ch blaen (chi) when the chi is polite singular or non-specified number - hence the common temporary road-sign Y FFORDD O’CH BLAEN AR GAU = ROAD AHEAD (of you) CLOSED

4 Likes

Bore da.
Dw i newydd dechrau dysgu Cymraeg. (I am only up to challenge 3!!)
My Wesh is still very limited, but I’m after a simplified rule for how to say no that would just ‘do for now’.
Could someone please give me a rough rule of thumb for when to use naddo and when to use nac ydw.
Thanks
Sarah

For now … Do and naddo for past tense and ia and nage for anything else. It won’t be strictly correct but it will work out fine and you will be understood and no-one will blink an eye.

Welcome to the forum and well done on doing so well so soon. :blush:

2 Likes

What Geraint said, but I’d take it one step further and say until you feel really sure, just go for ‘Ia’ and ‘Na’ and focus on the more important stuff… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Croeso, Welcome to the Forum @SarahV. To save any confusion, @gruntius is the Forum name of a lovely man called Geraint with a beautiful beard! I am an aged crone who hides behind the picture of a dragon - not inappropriately! I’m sure you will get on fine and the Forum is always here to help!

Back of your mind is right :wink:

2 Likes

I hope @aran is the right choice to tag here…
I’ve just noticed a mismatch between the spoken phrase and the vocabulary list in South Level 1 Challenge 21. For “I’d rather…“ Iestyn says “Byddai’n well 'da fi…“, but the vocabulary lists it as “mae’n well 'da fi“
I am quite confident that both can be used interchangeably, but in order to reduce possible confusion, I think the written vocabulary should be updated to match the spoken phrase.

1 Like

That’s a great catch, Hendrik - now corrected - diolch!

1 Like

Any ideas what Rocking Horse might be in Welsh? (I don’t quite trust the answer that google translate gave me!)

Well rocking-chair is cadair siglo, so ceffyl siglo?

1 Like

Siglo ceffyl is what my app gives. Interesting, as I would have expected ceffyl siglo!
Sorry Mike, I think we crossed in the post! And my app gives siglo cadeirydd z

1 Like

Yes, that’s why I didn’t trust google!
Your thoughts mirror mine so I’ll go for ceffyl siglo![quote=“mikeellwood, post:2457, topic:3153”]
so ceffyl siglo
[/quote]

2 people agree so I’ll go with that, many thanks both!

I later found it in Geriadur yr Academi, so I think you are pretty safe with it. :slight_smile:

1 Like