Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Who could be first? The Archdruid? :grinning:

Is he a learner?? ÔFN!! :open_mouth:

1 Like

Not sure. Wasn’t Christine? Technically?

What is the command form of osgoi (to avoid?)

I’ve definitely seen “osgowch” in a book somewhere but that is obviously the polite/formal version. I would guess, therefore, and this is just a guess, that “osgo” is the root so “osgoa” is the less formal version. This looks horrible to me so let’s wait to see what other people invariably have to say.

or its something like

Gan Bwyll ! :smiley:

The border lines between want and need are pretty flexible. Although modern English tends to relegate want to a more specific meaning, you’l still hear “he was found wanting”, or “for the want of…”, both meaning that a person was missing something important, rather than they just wanted something.

In Welsh, they are more flexible, with eisiau being anything from needing to wanting to missing something, and angen being more needed or essential. Moyn, from the word ymofyn, which is “to ask for one’s self”, can be to want or sometimes to fetch. So, try not to think about the words as absolute translations of the English words, because they really don’t always work in the same way.

Because of this flexibility, the northern isio doesn’t sound that foreign to a southern ear, although I understand that northerners find moyn a bit more of a challenge!

There’s loads of tags that get used. We go with on’d ife? (onid yw efe? - isn’t it?) on’d oedd? (wasn’t it) and on’ bydd? (won;t it be) in the southern course. The Llandysul tag is “no?”, which despite me turning into a Cardi in many things, I still find lovely but totally foreign to me!

A bit like hearing a proper Valleys Welshman saying “isn’t it?” at the end of any sentence, you can get away with “on’d ife?” after just about anything. “But you’d happily do that, isn’t it?”, but you can also just repeat the verb at the end of the sentence.

“Gwneiff e hynny i ni, (on’) gwneiff?” - He’ll do that for us, won’t he?
“Bydde fe’n gwneud hynny, on’ bydde?”

"

6 Likes

I think “gan bwyll” is more of a “steady does it now” sort of thing. I’ve also heard, and therefore used, “bwylla” as a sort of “calm down pal!/take it easy.” sort of vibe.

1 Like

Also in English…
Me to small child: No, you don’t need a sweetie, you want a sweet - it’s not the same thing at all.
Also me: God, I need a cup of tea!

2 Likes

Is “no” said as the English or with a Welsh “o”? I love the regional variety!

I like using “ife” when I can’t think of where to go next and t’mod/ch’mod doesn’t quite work…

Welsh “o” - like knob without the b…

5 Likes

Here’s a juicy question…

When to use ’ i ’ after a verb to connect to another verb? If ever?

So - cofrestru pleidleisio - register to vote? or cofrestru i belidleisio?

Are there only certain verbs that cause a ’ i ’ to be need to connect verbs?

Or have I got this completely wrong?

Im aware also of using - i’w (to its) … in certain circumstances

Basically yes. :slight_smile:

You get a feel for it as you learn the verbs. You can always check them individually if you want to be sure - and I occasionally look at this lovely little crib sheet that I liked so much I photographed it before losing it!

Also, I think ‘cofrestru i bleidleisio’ is a thing, so you’re fairly safe with that.

4 Likes

Is it @lewie who set up the iPad app? I seem to have changed the display so it is failing to fit in. I am typing to a space across the whole screen instead of half and fewer posts fit on. I don’t know what to did. All I want is the same display I had before. On the laptop I’d try Ctrl- but I don’t have a Control key here! Clueless old dragon asks for aid!!
I don’t think you use an iPad @tatjana do you?
Edit @lewie has sent PM Diolch!

Yes, Jac is indeed a southerner. It would have come into his backstory when he joined the series, but that’s a while back now.

David is also a southerner. His Dad (Ron, who was in the programme for a bit, but has left now) ran off with another woman (he used to be married to Meical and Kay’s mam). He lived in Cardiff, and I think that’s where David must have grown up. You are right, he does sound rather precise. He definitely uses southern usages. I couldn’t speak very authoritatively about his accent. It sounds “vaguely southern” to me, but that’s about it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Diolch o galon…is there any rules to remember this?

No I don’t I’m afraid. You can read why in my answer to another topic.

I don’t think there are, no, which is why I was chuffed to come across that little collection. There’s a few that still sort of surprise me - ‘Dw i’n fodlon mynd’, 'Mae hi’n anodd cwyno ’ - once you become aware of it, you start noticing them!

Not a terribly important aspect of course - but still nice to know!

1 Like

Are there occasions when t will mutate to d? (if I heard it correctly)

Such as dy dad, or something more exotic? If it’s not anything weirder, then I guess it’s just the normal soft mutation of t, in which case anything that turns mynd into fynd will turn troi into droi (Wnes i fynd/droi), and anything that turns mam into fam will turn tad into dad (dy fam/dad), I think.

3 Likes