Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Yes of course, obvious now I see it written, but it was a slightly less than delicate loan word in english beginning tw, but it mutated (so it sounded) to dw. Nice to see that even loan words follow the rules of Welsh grammer!
It was on S4C so I rewound and switched the subtitles on to have another listen!

2 Likes

I think those sort of loan words can do what they like really, they don’t really follow any set rules in any language I guess :laughing:

3 Likes

@aran very quick question. If I am doing a lesson or challenge and I lose concentration (a frequent occurrence) if I say ‘dwi’ instead of 'nes i ’ because I’ve forgotten which tense I’m supposed to be in, but everything else is right and I do know 'nes i ’ , can I count that as an OK answer? If so, since that sort of mistake, or mishearing things like ‘speak and sleep’ cause a lot of my ‘errors’ , well I’m better than I seem, maybe!

One more thing, I always said, “nag ydy or nag ydw” rather than nac, is that southern or wrong?
@Iestyn?

Okay-ish… you get all the points for all the other stuff, but you’ll want to focus on the fact that you have a tendency to slip back to ‘dwi’ instead of ‘nes i’ and try to sensitise yourself to it until you get it running a bit more smoothly…

1 Like

Afternoon everyone! Can anyone just give me a quick run through of how to use the old course? I can see vocab stuff and listening and speaking exercises. Do I just leap in? Or is there a more timely point to start using them? Having finished L2 (S) and going into free-fall for at least 12 hours, I can happily say that lesson 1 provided a comfortable landing! :relieved:

1 Like

If I remember rightly, there are 5 min daily listening and speaking practices for people who have completed lessons 1-6, and different ones when you’ve done all of course 1. The vocab units follow on from course 1 and 2 respectively.

2 Likes

Diolch @netmouse :smile:

1 Like

Hi all! Does anyone have any intuitions about the most natural way to answer a question like “Am beth wyt ti’n chwilio?” My instinct would be to answer with “am” at the beginning (“am lyfr”), but would it be odd to just answer with “llyfr”? It’s possible that English is messing me up here, because I’d definitely answer “What are you looking for?” with “A book” and not “for a book”…

Another example of the same type of issue:
Mae Gareth yn talu am fara. Am beth ydy Gareth yn talu? (Bara / am fara)

Diolch!

What is the difference between testun and pwnc?..both mean subject?..or does testun also mean text?

Nodyn bodyn is the welsh phrase Ive heard for a text message on a phone though :stuck_out_tongue:

yes, they both mean ‘subject’ and testun can also mean text :slight_smile:

1 Like

Normal just to say ‘llyfr’… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I would answer with what I’m looking for and then the length would depend on how complicated (like in English). Am beth wyt ti’n chwilio? Llyfr or something like - dwi’n edrych am lyfr gan… - So in English, “what are you searching for?” - a book or “I’m looking for a book by…”

3 Likes

If the ‘to’ actually does mean ‘in order to’, as it does with this example, then i is correct. :slight_smile:

Whereas, for example ‘intend to go’ does not mean ‘intend in order to go’, so no i : bwriadu mynd

8 Likes

No, it would be the normal reponse, just as in English.

No, your English would help you here because Welsh and English agree. What’s messing you up ( I suggest!) is the nagging suspicion that a different language ought to have to different construction. :wink: Which here it doesn’t - so yay!! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Did a little ‘intensive’ SSiW this afternoon. Catching up with 8, 9 & 10 of Level 3. I just love that SSiW brain melt [ymynedd wedi toddi]. ‘wirion meddwl = really’ Really? Really = thinking foolishly. Or has my brain actually melted this time?

3 Likes

Does it not come from “gwirioneddol” - “actual/veritable”? In fact, are you not hearing “wirioneddol”?

3 Likes

Brain is back, yes that makes much more sense! Yet i may now think that real things are foolish thinking. Maybe sometimes having the spellings helps!

2 Likes

I now officially prefer ‘gwirion meddwl’ to ‘gwirioneddol’… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yup - I’m deffo going to start saying this. Let’s see if we can make it catch on…

5 Likes