Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Yes, I have Android mobile and tablet, but tend to use the website for vocabulary.

1 Like

In the app, I can chose an ‘All - mode’ and then, on the right side of the screen, a tabela appears that shows all levels and challenges, and when you touch the icons, it jumps to the chosen level and challenge. It looks like this:

3 Likes

i am on an iPad, Claudia and cannot see it. When ‘in’ a challenge, there is a little red icon at top right, a bit like a page of script, which gives the Vocabulary for that section, but I haven’t seen ‘all’!

2 Likes

Yes, I can see the red icon at top right side, too, and when I enter the vocabulary, the “All” button appears at bottom right. Maybe John is right and this is an iPhone feature.

found all but I just get it for all the challenges in the level in a great long list - not the selection you showed!

1 Like

Yes, I saw this great long list, too, until this new feature appeared…I think it was only last week!

I think you did! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I myself had chweugain explained to me by none other than Twm Morys, way back in the Jurassic when we were both in Aberystwyth. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Heres one I have been meaning to ask for a while.! How do I use possession when not actually referring to the object. I often want to say ‘that’s elins’ . At the moment, I would say that belongs to Elin. Is there another way?

Diolch
Tom

I think “Elin sy biau hwnna” might work (or just “Elin biau hwnna”).

(literally: “Elin owns that” (which is not far from what you said you would say … :slight_smile: ).

cf. “fi (sy) biau hwnna” - that’s mine. (Oxford Pocket Modern Welsh Dictionary)
(and similar constructions for “his” and “hers”).

(the radical of the verb is actually “piau”).

2 Likes

You might hear ‘Elin pia hynna’ or ‘Un Elin ydi hynna’… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Diolch, been wondering about that one for a while

1 Like

Or ‘rhai Elin ydyn nhw’ for multiples??? I’m asking more than stating.

1 Like

Yup, exactly so… :slight_smile:

[Or ‘rhai Elin ydi rheina’…:slight_smile: ]

3 Likes

New question: the position of “gyda fi”.
In Course 1, and in other (non-SSiW) contexts, I’ve only come across mae ffrind gyda fi, does dim arian gyda fi etc. But in the new Level 1, it seems to have moved: mae gyda fi ffrind etc. Is this just a matter of personal preference, or is there a reason you shifted the word order?

DROS!

Now I’ve come to know ‘Dros’ as being the Welsh word for ‘Over’.

I’m fine with that, trust me!

Not to get too political, but I remember during the elections in June, seeing a lot of campaign material stating both…

“Vote AM my party”
and
“Vote DROS my party”, both meaning “for”.

Lo and behold (I thought nothing of it) on my one of journeys from Mid Wales down to South I run into Oil4Wales (they seem to be only second to Mansel Davies in terms of things you see on Mid Wales roads), with the Welsh title of “Olew DROS Cymru”

I asked a couple of my Welsh speaking mates and they were just like “um… yeah. It’s like that isn’t it? No idea why. Just one of those things”.

Before I put it to the back of my head as one of those “Just learn it and don’t worry” things. Can anyone sensibly put into a quick sentence why DROS suddenly becomes ‘for’ in some scenarios :smiley:

Thanks

Sometimes the shift will be due to emphasis. Generally, in Welsh, the thing coming first has more emphasis than the thing afterwards, so in mae ffrind gyda fi the friend is emphasised (I have a friend) whereas in mae gyda fi ffrind, the emphasis is on I (I have a friend).
Having said that, that doesn’t mean that that’s the only reason.

2 Likes

‘Dros’ is commonly used to mean ‘for’ when the context is ‘in favour of’ or ‘representing’, so you’ll get things like ‘Aelod seneddol dros Geredigion’ (Assembly member for Ceredigion) or ‘mae o’n chwarae peldroed dros Gymru’ (He plays football for Wales) too.

In English, the ‘invisible context’ is there but we never take it into consideration because the word (in this instance ‘for’) doesn’t change, but in Welsh, the word also gives that context - as we so often find, like-for-like translations of propositions into Welsh rarely exist!

3 Likes

I looked this up in various books, and found that this area (among many others, of course) is covered quite nicely in Gareth King’s “Colloquial Welsh” course. I happen to have a couple of 2nd-hand editions of this (2002 and 2008 printings). (Chapter 15, in the “ownership” section, in the 2002 printing).

I’m sure the book is still in print. On the other hand, I’m sure there still are (ahem) inexpensive copies available on the 2nd-hand market, if you wish to go that way. (Sorry, Gareth, but I’m sure you’d rather that old copies went to good homes, rather than linger lonely on dusty bookshelves or in cold warehouses :slight_smile: ).

New or second-hand, it is highly recommended.

4 Likes

I like the sound of that. Y gweinidog dros gludiant could be the Minister for (over) transport.