Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

quick question, @aran @Iestyn

when undertaking the old course 1 South,
at what part during the course would you recommend introducing the vocab lessons?
diolch

I’m not Iestyn or Aran, but the Vocabs are meant to be done after finishing the Course. So Course 1 Vocabs after Course 1, and Course 2 Vocabs after Course 2. Hope that helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

Diolch Anna

1 Like

Yup, what Anna said… :slight_smile: Diolch Anna! :star:

1 Like

Nice article if you get the chance.

‘Dwi wedi teithio tipyn yn fy mywyd a dydw i heb weld cenedl sy’n rhoi ei hun lawr gymaint â’r Cymry.’
Unfortunately I agreed with this statement when I first came to Wales, but the reason I post it is to query this ‘heb’ business.
Is it just a short way of saying:dw i ddim wedi weld …erioed.

1. Is there a difference in meaning between
    Fues i erioed yn Sbaen
    Dw i ddim wedi bod yn Sbaen erioed
1 Like

[quote=“Mihil, post:3069, topic:3153”]
the reason I post it is to query this ‘heb’ business.
Is it just a short way of saying:dw i ddim wedi weld …erioed.[/quote]
Yes, exactly. In such constructions heb is used to express a negative sentence in the past.

No real difference in meaning here, akin to saying “I was never in Spain” vis-a-vis “I have never been to Spain” in English.

1 Like

I still get quite confused knowing what to use in terms of either ,
Faswn
Byddwn
Baswn
Taswn etc
Do different people have their own preference and just use what they are used to ? There is one structure that I hear all the time and have started using myself as it is what everyone else seems to say. I’ll give an example sentence .

“I would do it if I liked it”
“Faswn i’n gwneud o os faswn i’n licio fo”

I’m not too sure why there is a need to put “os” for “if” in there as I thought that “taswn” would be used there to imply the “if” but that is what I hear people say
Just to confuse me slightly further , my daughter uses “fasa i” for “I would” instead of “faswn i” and she is adamant that is correct but apart from that she also uses the structure mentioned above in the example sentence.

Yeah, pretty much this… :slight_smile: Including plenty of stuff that would be technically ‘incorrect’… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Diolch Aran , I suspected as much :slight_smile:

1 Like

“Fasa i” - My fiancee does that by spells it with a y “fysa”. The nice thing about “baswn I” is it sounds completely different to “bydda i” so it’s a bit easier to tell the difference and that seems to be the reason a few people I know use it. As grammatical as that :smile:

2 Likes

“Byddwn i - I would” is just too similar (read exactly the bloody same) to my ear to “byddwn ni - we shall” so obviously determined by context alone. That’s why I tend to use the “basa” construction.

4 Likes

Three tiny questions for the price of one! One legal, one grammatical, and one vocab. We were in the caffi in Oxford discussing whether or not @Betterlatethan needs a TV licence to watch S4C online. So:

1. The legal question. Given that it’s partly public-funded but also has advertising revenue, does she need one?
  2. The grammar question. I know how to say ‘you need’ (mae rhaid i ti) and ‘you have’ (mae gen ti), but I got lost trying to say “I don’t know if you need to have”. Instead of tripping over my own feet with those two constructions, should it be something like “Dw i ddim yn gwybod os oes rhaid laisyns i ti”?
  3. Vocab, while I’m here. We thought we were code-switching, but the Welsh predictive text on my phone has just let me write laisyns without complaint. Is that what people actually say/write? :slight_smile:
  1. I’ve no idea
  2. “Dwi’m yn siŵr os oes rhaid i ti gael” is one option (I think) but I tend to use “angen” - dwi’m yn siŵr os ti angen laisyns - probably what I’d say
  • dwi’m yn siŵr os oes angen caniatâd arnat ti - possibly another option
  1. Laisyns and caniatâd - I’ve heard and seen both use.
1 Like

From the tv licensing website … “You don’t need a TV Licence to own or possess a television set. However, if you use it to watch or record programmes as they are being shown on TV or live on an online TV service, or to download or watch BBC programmes on demand, including catch up TV, on BBC iPlayer, then you need a TV Licence in order to do so.” As S4C is on BBCiPlayer I’d say yes but if you watch S4C on Clic I’d say no.

2 Likes

I know trusting on-line dictionaries is dangerous, but aren’t license and licence both ‘trwydded’? Caniatâd seems to be ‘permission or permit’. @aran, @Iestyn does ‘trwydded’ get used? Is it de or gog?
Re-the law, S4C was not paid for from License Fees in my day, so it was seen as equivalent to Channel 4. I was a Welsh Channel 4 we campaigned for, so my gut feel is that a License should not be needed! It was the UK Government which decided to compel the BBC to pay some of S4C’s expenses, nobody in Wales asked for that! Why should Welsh people or Welsh speakers be obliged to pay the BBC. If anything, they should be able to subscribe to S4C!!!

Trwydded deledu is from G-Academi, but like you, i wonder how often it is used. I need to talk more about grown up stuff, clearly. :grin:
Interesting too about the construction - rhaid being must - dw i ddim yn gwybod os oes rhaid i ti gael trwydded (er mwyn gwylio)? Thinking of it as if you must get a licence?
Would os oes eisiau trwydded arnat ti do the same job for us southerners, I wonder (eisiau being need)? I suppose the os oes ti angen trwydded is the Gog equivalent?
For some reason, and perhaps mistakenly (hoping to be put right if so) I have always thought of the mae rhaid i ti and mae eisiau i ti being followed by a verb. With a noun I have always used mae eisiau (thing) gyda ti. Does that happen with rhaid?
Sorry! More questions than anything else but a really interesting point @RichardBuck, diolch!
Edited to apologise for all the bold - feeling a spot confused today - all thses pesky words are ganging up on me, and the bold helps!

‘angen’ is indeed Gogledd for ‘need’. @Iestyn is the best person to advise on the southern options!!

I have always thought of the mae rhaid i ti and mae eisiau i ti being followed by a verb

Yes, that’s why I slightly floundered when I found myself wanting a verb ‘to have’ :slight_smile: As for what to say with a noun, I can’t say I’ve always used anything - hence the question!

1 Like

Trwydded is licence. I never hear anyone say it / I am not aware of hearing it. I have had a Conversation about “laisyns” and someone else used caniatâd. They may have made a mistake but they used it and that’s living language for you.

Angen is also everywhere for need. It had a subtle difference to eisiau but it’s around. If people use eisiau for want they tend to use Angen for need. That’s my experience anyway.