Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Os oes angen arnat ti - is you have a need on you

Angen i ti - does seem to then be followed by a verb, as you say.

Then the more colloquial - ti angen rhywbeth

Since the topic has come up - I don’t watch any form of TV at all - just to be on the safe side. I didn’t think that I was missing anything until I started learning Welsh just recently and people started mentioning Pobl y Cwm. On the other hand, where would I find the time to do SSiW if I started to watch TV? Maybe I shall reconsider one day, but for the moment I am happy as I am.

(If anyone from TV licensing is reading this - I have never watched S4C by any method!)

1 Like

My understanding is that this depends on:

a) is on the BBC platform (so iPlayer is no-no)

b) is live or ‘as live’ - so live rugby on S4C technically is out, but non-live stuff (from S4C’s own Clic site, as Geraint says) is fine.

You could go for ‘Dwi ddim yn gwybod os wyt ti angen cael…’ or ‘Dwi ddim yn gwybod os wyt ti angen bod gyda…’.

You’ll certainly hear it, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see it used in informal writing - trwydded probably more common in this context…

1 Like

Just to make it clear, my age is such that I do not pay the Licencse Fee anyway, so I am impartial on the subject! Mind we pay for Sky to get TV at all here! Hills behind us, hills before us, America west and not sure what due east!
I did not address this to Tatjana. i don’t know what happened. Our internet is dreadful just now!

FWIW, Gareth King’s dictionary has trwydded as “license” (noun - the physical thing), and caniatâd as “permission” (as in ‘planning permission’).

2 Likes

Changing the subject somewhat . . . in English (at least for us around here) “shoes” and “boots” are two very distinct terms. But looking them up in the dictionary I get esgid (pl. esgidiau) for both. I was already familiar with the word as “shoes” but isn’t there another word for “boots”?

Of course, to digress, there are many kinds of boots, but at the moment I’m speaking of work boots, rather than rain or snow boots…

2 Likes

I’ve heard bwtsias (not siwr about spelling though) like bwtsias glaw (wellies) for example.

2 Likes

My untrusted app gives lesewch or cychwyn for boot!

Cychwyn is boot as in to start something.
Cychwyn is another word for dechrau. You “cychwyn taith” (start a journey).

So it could be “boot” as in boot a computer :grin:

1 Like

The Geiriadur yr Academi has boot -to start a computer as “cicio” - which is interesting because that’s how I tend to interact with computers :smile:

5 Likes

Yup, bwtsias is common, at least in the north… :slight_smile:

1 Like

… appears in Bob Delyn lyrics too :wink: (e.g. Yr Afon on the album Dore, but in Syndans on the newest album Twm uses bŵts. Always of Spanish leather though, you’ll notice!)

4 Likes

Afternoon pawb! Help with a sentence please! I want to say…

so the person who I’m speaking with has to be patient with me,
or…
so the person with whom I’m speaking has to be patient.

Any ideas folks? I know the former is less correct in the English, but is what I’m likely to say. My spidey sense says that the latter may be better for Welsh. In any case, it’s the combination of the use of rhaid and it’s word order together with the with whom bit that I’m wondering about! :persevere::wink:

My rather rubbish Welsh would come up with something like this … felly mae’n rhaid i’r person bo’ fi’n siarad efo nhw bod yn amyneddgar.

Neu … felly mae person bo’ fi’n siarad efo nhw gorfod bod yn amyneddgar.

Let’s see what the experts come up with.

Edited to say … I normally say "siarad â … " so I’m not sure why I wrote “efo”.

3 Likes

Agreed. Or you could just say “the person who’s speaking with me”:

“Mae’n rhaid i’r person sy’n siarad gyda fi fod yn amyneddgar.”

However, I was wondering about this a couple of days ago. I presume it’s ok to use “nhw” in Welsh as a sort of indefinite personal pronoun? (If that’s the right word for it.) I would tend to avoid saying something like the one below, as I wouldn’t feel completely sure about that. Clarification would be nice…

“Mae angen amynedd ar y person dw i’n siarad gyda nhw.”

??

2 Likes

I think it would go without notice - I’d tend to use ‘efo fo/efo hi’ myself, but I don’t think ‘nhw’ would cause any significantly raised eyebrows…:wink:

Otherwise - yup, Cat, what Geraint and Sonia said… :slight_smile:

felly mae’n rhaid i’r person bo’ fi’n siarad efo nhw bod yn amyneddgar.

‘fod’…:wink:

Actually, I’d go for ‘dwi’n’ instead of ‘bo fi’n’ there, as well…

‘Felly mae’r person dwi’n siarad efo fo/hi/nhw yn gorfod bod yn amyneddgar’… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

diolch Aran. :star2:

2 Likes

What does ym at the beginning of a word mean? Does it count as a prefix? I’m thinking ymddeol - retire, ymddiried - trust, ymwelwyr-visitor, ymateb-response. I can’t see anything common between any of those words that would explain the ym.

It usually, kind of, sort of, points to the self.

Golchi - to wash
Ymolchi - to wash oneself.

Adfer - restore
Ymadfer - recuperate.

EtcEtc.

I suppose ymweld comes from “to see for yourself” - visit … ym-gweld.

3 Likes