Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Ah of course. I get it now.

2 Likes

Gareth King’s dictionary does call it a prefix and says:

5 Likes

Yes, I was going to query ymateb as it implies a response to the speaker, but, usually we don’t answer ourselves! :wink: I find ymddeol hard to explain too!

But a response is personal, so has the element of self in it. Ateb is a less personal answer.

2 Likes

ymddeol is to retire, for those unfamiliar with the word, and deol is to banish, so retirement is self-banishment :wink: !!

9 Likes

No wonder I didn’t catch on! I early-retired to escape London and come home to Gower! I may be self-banished now, but back then I was all cwtched up warm in y gartre fy nghalon!

1 Like

I have another question :flushed:

Yn hytrach nag - instead of

Is it the same as “yn lle”?

yup. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Diolch :blush:

I have another (I seem to have opened a new Welsh door this week).

I’ve been in e-mail contact with the Welsh officer for the UHB. He uses “oes modd i ti” (i think, I’m not at work today, as you can tell, so I don’t have the exact e-mail).

From context I can tell it means “want”. Is this a formal construction of want? And could someone kindly give any other examples of how it’s used please?

Diolch yn fawr o flaen llaw.

In the ways I’ve heard it used, it’s more ‘are you able to…’ I’ve used it myself as a slightly more formal construction of ‘allet ti helpu fi’ - ‘oes modd i ti helpu fi’. Not sure if it’s uniquely a southern construction, but I do remember Iestyn teaching it in the southern course. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oes modd i ti - Is there a way for you to…
Sort of ‘could you?’ but very polite.
That’s my understanding of it, but would like to know what others (and betters) think. :relaxed:
Oes modd i ti helpu fi, ayyb

3 Likes

Diolch cyfaill :slight_smile:

The man in question is from Pen Llŷn so I don’t think it’s uniquely southern.

Diolch @cat-1 hefyd. That does make sense. He was asking me to chat over the phone at a certain point so, could makes more sense.

3 Likes

yes, oes modd i ti can be construed as ‘is there a way for you/are you able to/could you…’ usually followed by what they want you to actually do, so e.g.
oes modd i ti ffonio fi am sgwrs =
Is there a way for you to phone me for a chat
Are you able to phone me for a chat
Could you phone me for a chat

Basically a polite way of asking you to do something! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Strictly speaking it’s not os here, because it’s a closed rather than open condition - so it ought to be taswn i’n licio fo or petaswn i’n licio fo or petawn i’n licio fo. But because English uses the same word ‘if’ for all conditions, whether open or closed, this is spreading to Welsh.

Fasa i for I would (be) is wrong, but may be gaining ground among younger (and presumably non-native) speakers by analogy with bydda i I will (be). Analogy is a powerful force for linguistic change.

3 Likes

Just fine! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yn hytrach na = rather than
Yn lle = instead of

3 Likes

I like this.

4 Likes

Spot-on, @AnthonyCusack ! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Is it always “modd” (i chi, i ti, i mi, etc.) or does it mutate at all?

Always modd in this construction - there’s no mutation after oes.

3 Likes