Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Although of course there is SM of the verbnoun following the notional subject.

Oes modd i mi weld hwnna?
Can I see that?

Oes modd i’r rhieni gyfrannu hefyd?
Can the parents contribute as well?

5 Likes

Hi, I’m on lesson 1, challenge 2 (South), and I have a question about near the end of the challenge when it comes to “a” vs. “ac”. I thought it’s “a” in front of consonants and “ac” in front of vowels, but, in one of the sentences, it sounds like “ac” before “ma dal isie i fi”. Would someone please explain why it’s “ac”, rather than “a” before “ma”? (Or am I just having a total brain fart?) Thanks!

1 Like

Haia Alex! Welcome to the forum :smile:

You’re right - in general, it’s “a” before consonants and “ac” before vowels. Mae (often pronounced Ma) is an exception here. It is “Ac mae” because it’s actually supposed to be “Ac y mae”. Y, the vowel that causes the “ac”, is very often left out, with the “ac” sort of staying to show that the “y” was there :slight_smile:

Or at least that’s what I’ve heard, could be wrong!

7 Likes

Thanks so much, Novem! That totally makes sense now :grinning: And thanks for the warm welcome! :blush:

2 Likes

absolutely spot on, Novem! :smiley:

3 Likes

Gwaith gwych, Novem… :star: :star2:

And a very warm welcome to the forum, Alex… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Croeso Alex! You have shot through the first level challenges pretty fast! Much like @Novem!

Arising from today’s walk… How would mamiaith children ask "are we nearly there yet?"My best guess based on “bu bron iddi” from the latest challenges, was something along the lines of “oes bron i ni yno eto?” but I wasn’t at all convinced by my own analogizing…

1 Like

Or perhaps just the following?
“Ydyn ni bron yno eto”
Just a guess. Google translate agrees, so it must be correct :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ydan ni bron yno? or just ydan ni yno eto? ydan ni yno eto? ydan ni yno eto? [fade to black…]

9 Likes

I have now taught my daughter to say this. I’m quite sure there is no way on earth I am ever going to regret doing so…

8 Likes

I think you’re right! :slight_smile:

Fel, felly and wedyn also usually take ac rather than a. And ac wedyn gives us the common term chwedyn… for and then…

6 Likes

I’ve gone blank.

Whats a nice way of say "What was something like

I have seen Sut le used to ask what a PLACE is like…but what are some options in general? Diolch

*On the earlier “Sir” or “Swydd” debate, I loved the fact in the rural Corwen area where I grew up, older established welsh speakers would talk about places almost in relation to the Cantrefi (administration areas in days of indy Welsh kingdoms)

“Dyffryn” for dyffryn clwyd and Edeyrnion for the area around us…kinda cool , a few had remembered (however maybe they are revivalist types so naming wasn’t always used continuously)

I read the phrase Caws drwg and I assumed from context it meant “bad apple”…anyone else seen this?

What was …like?

Sut oedd… ?

1 Like

Sut fath…oedd… I think is an option

Sut fath o’r dyn oedd e? - what type of Man was he? (What was he like)

1 Like

I think ‘sut un’ for a person, but safer to ask @aran or @Iestyn![quote=“brynle, post:3138, topic:3153”]
Caws drwg and I assumed from context it meant “bad apple”.
[/quote]
Interesting. In English, we say “Hard cheese!” to someone who had an unfortunate experience, meaning ‘bad luck’. If ‘bad cheese’ means a bad person in Cymraeg…??? :slight_smile:

‘Sut fath o ddyn oedd e’… :)[quote=“brynle, post:3138, topic:3153, full:true”]
I read the phrase Caws drwg and I assumed from context it meant “bad apple”…anyone else seen this?
[/quote]

Nope, but the ‘drwg yn y caws’ is very common.

It’s going to vary a lot - Anthony’s ‘sut fath o’ is probably your best bet for a range of uses.

2 Likes

You also just hear “Sut oedd e fel?”

I’m not sure quite how wince-worthy that is in proper speak?!

Quite:wink: