Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Yup - it’s not a direct like-for-like swap with ‘tyfu lan’, because you magu someone else or someone else magus you, but it’s close enough… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks, all. That’s great thanks. It seems to be fitting in to place now. Perhaps: Cafodd ei geni yn…, (ai/ac cafodd ei) magu yng…

2 Likes

Are there any equivalents (with sentence examples) of how to say “alike” in Welsh? Diolch

Maen nhw’n debyg (They are similar)

4 Likes

Yes, Im thinking more along the lines of ‘yr un fath’ or ‘yr un ffunud’ ‘spitting image’:

They are exactly alike - maen nhw’n union yr un fath â’i gilydd

Is “yn ddiwah^an” also acceptable?

Fel ei gilydd, in my little app. Not best source, but like each other makes sense.

1 Like

If we are allowed to speak slightly figuratively, I propose bringing it back to SSiW challenges with: yr un peth :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My Gareth King dictionary has this example for the adverb form of “alike” - bechgyn a merched fel ei gilydd (boys and girls alike). So it would seem that your little app is correct, at least for this.

2 Likes

Indeed John Yr un peth - the same/same thing…makes sense…yr un ffunud could be more “likeness” of a person Im thinking?

Okay, here’s a curiosity question. I got my Cadw Membership Renewal today, and the form (as usual) is English on one side and Cymraeg on the other. I like to compare when I have such things, to learn new words and new constructions. One translation rather confuses me, because they translate two phrases that, in English, are the same but the phrases in Cymraeg are different. The English says “Individual cards available if requested” (this is for family memberships). The two Cymraeg phrases are:

• Cardiau unigol ar gael ar ddymuniad
    and
  • Cardiau unigol ar gael ar gais
    Neither is an exact translation, but they don’t seem to say the same thing.
1 Like

Both ‘dymuniad’ and ‘cais’ can mean request according to my dictionary. :slight_smile:

Why they would use them both is a mystery though.

So ‘individual cards available on request’. … Twice. :smile:

2 Likes

My guess: different bits got translated by different people at different times, and the two translations ended up getting merged together at some point for some reason.

(I think that sort of thing is often the reason for inconsistencies in language use within one site/document/etc., especially if no standardised translation memory or “stylesheet” is used within the company.)

1 Like

If you are going for southern, you could very well use yr un sbit for that.

1 Like

Geiriadur Gomer gives “yr un ffunud â” gan amlaf mae’n cyfeirio at rywun sy’n debyg o ran pryd a gwedd i rywun arall - ffurf, gwedd, math - the spitting image. :slight_smile:

1 Like

How close to each other are they? It’s very common for translators not to remember that they’ve translated the same phrase a different way already, if they’re not right next to each other.

I’ve never heard anyone say this, and I’m not sure you’d be understood with it, so I’d recommend sticking with the others… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I remember seeing “Cais” for apply on the job application that was posted here some time ago. It seems an easier one for me, if I think of it in terms of trying to achieve a goal.

How about just “Mae’n sbit”? I can’t say I’ve heard it in Welsh, myself though. Apparently “spitting image” is derived from “Spit (direct likeness) and image”.

Does “Y Fro” (general area) relate to the Welsh speaking area of Wales or the Vale (of Glamorgan) please?

1 Like

Depends on context.

1 Like

Ah, thanks, Anthony. That’s great. So it could be either. I always took it as the Vale, but have recently noticed it as the predominantly Cymraeg speaking Area. I’ll listen out for context.