Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

yes, he sure got around a bit didn’t he! :smile:

1 Like

Even to Gower - Arthur’s Stone on Cefn Bryn! :wink:

1 Like

2018 - dwy fil a ddeunaw? deunaw ar dwy fil? ??? @aran @Iestyn @garethrking ?
Does it vary with location or context? I would suspect in science : Dwy fil un ddeg wyth

2 Likes

I was wondering the same. I thought that by convention it needs to be in the traditional vegidecimal system: Y flwyddyn ddwy fil a deunaw for the year 2018. Although I did hear Un deg saith & Un deg wyth on the Radio service this morning.

1 Like

I’ve also heard/seen things like “dau dim un saith” for the year. And then there’s the line in “Yma o Hyd” (for the year 383): “Yn y flwyddyn tri cant wyth tri”

2 Likes

For what it is worth, I would definitely say dwy fil a deunaw :slight_smile:

5 Likes

They just said dwy fil un deg wyth on S4C.

2 Likes

In English a lot of people (me included) say “twenty seventeen” or “twenty eighteen.” (Once we got to 2010 it was easier than saying “two thousand …”) So I wonder if anyone would say (in Welsh) something like “ugain deunaw” for 2018?

From what I’ve heard people stick to “dwy fil”. I’ve not heard “ugain” for the century. Then again “dwy fil” and “ugain” are both 2 syllables so you don’t gain anything the way you do with twenty vs two thousand.

2 Likes

That’s right. It used to sound a bit odd if one were to say “twenty oh one” for 2001, although it really shouldn’t have, by analogy with “nineteen oh one” for 1901, etc. But as you say, after 2010, more and more people seemed to use “twenty ten”, etc.

Interesting. I had been wondering whether to use “ugain deunaw” or not.

(in truth, numbers still trip me up more often than not).

Well, as I am not the only one wondering, I am glad I asked the question and[quote=“garethrking, post:3490, topic:3153”]
dwy fil a deunaw
[/quote]

so , so shall I, diolch!

3 Likes

In English, I’ve heard nineteen naught four in these parts, but not twenty naught four. I’m a two thousand and eighteen type myself, but from 2025 to 9595, I might be compelled to change to twenty twenty five etc, that’s if man is still alive :wink:

3 Likes

I’m writing our wedding invites.

I’ve said;

"Mi hoffai Anthony ac Emma eich gwahodd i’w hymuno i ddathlu eu Priodas

Ddydd Sadwrn…"

Now there’s a bit of a split. Some here are saying it should be “ar ddydd Sadwrn” or just “Dydd Sadwrn” instead of just “Ddydd Sadwrn”. Also, some debate about the “Mi”, the hwntws here want fe and say mi is just when referring to yourself.

Last one, I’ve written “i’w hymuno…” Because it’s joining “them”. Some debate over the “h” or not.

Anyone willing to settle these ones?

4 Likes

They are wrong, and you are right with Ddydd Sadwrn, Anthony. It means on Saturday.

Dydd Sadwrn is wrong simply because you have to have SM on expressions denoting ‘time when’ something happens.

Ar ddydd Sadwrn is wrong because it doesn’t mean on Saturday, it means on SaturdayS . This error is encountered because of a (in this case false) analogy with English.

:slight_smile:

5 Likes

Does anyone know the Welsh term for ‘hefted’ - describing a flock of sheep’s belonging to an area of land? Just filling out my sheep vocabulary but not expecting anyone to come up with an answer for ‘rigg weltered’ either.
Thanks v much :sheep:

1 Like

It’s cynefin. (“At Hafod y Llan, sheep graze the open mountain within their hefts, or ‘cynefin’ in Welsh.”). Can’t help with rigg weltered though!

3 Likes

Diolch, Siaron. As in ‘habitat’? Makes a lot of sense. I can cope with the other as we’d normally say ‘that ewe’s on her back’:grinning:. In other bits of the Old North, they use the term ‘lain’.

Wedi sownd ar ei chefn? :slight_smile:
Stuck on it’s back

1 Like

Yup, I’d think ‘ar ei chefn’ would get someone heaving the poor old lass back over😀

1 Like

Thanks for that.Despite living in Yorkshire twice I had never learned that term! I learn morevand more each day on this forum!

2 Likes