Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Weirdly, dafad and dafod. I never misunderstand dafad (being one of my favourite animals) but if I hear dafod, I always have to process and discount something about sheep first! (i.e. ‘cerdd dafod’ has nothing to do with sheep…)

I have to think twice about diwylliant and diwydiant too. I think of diwylliant as making people less ‘wyllt’, and diwyd is a word for conscientious or industrious. (I think.)

6 Likes

There’s an expression " heb flewyn o’i dafod", which I’ve read in books, meaning someone who says it as it is or sometimes maybe about someone who speaks without a hint of saes. I’ve never heard anyone say it until last week on the radio and the person said what sounded to me like “di-flewyn a dafad” - I expect it’s the same expression and it’s pronounciation, or maybe there is a variation for sheared sheep??

1 Like

siarad yn ddi-flewyn ar dafod = to speak frankly
Heb flewyn ar ei dafod (ar ei thafod) is a variant of that.

There’s also siarad yn blwmp ac yn blaen which also’s conveys much the same

4 Likes

This is great - getting my head round dafod better today!

(It was reading something about somebody’s “dafod wenwynig” last night that briefly made me think of poisonous sheep… :slight_smile:)

3 Likes

A very common one for me and slightly embarrassing really is saying mor, when I mean mwy. It must be the English causing the confusion, but do it all the time and can’t shake it.

1 Like

Here I am, lifelong ssiwer. Bit bewildered by the blog. Any tips much appreciated.

2 Likes

Did you mean this thread here? :smile:

Relax, have a break, unwind

2 Likes

Superb T-shirt there, Sam… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Aran, I love it. I’ve also got the cwrw one

1 Like

Great to see you on the forum, too, instead of just keeping tabs on you on Facebook…:wink: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

1 Like

Diolch Aran. Dwi 'di rhoi’r ffidl Facebook yn y to…diolch byth. Wrth fy modd ar y fforwm dwi :blush::slight_smile:

1 Like

Today I did Challenge 1, my first lesson in almost a year. I stopped early last year when I was involved in a particularly intense trial I was defending, then I retired, and moved across Ontario, and I just got out of the habit, so if I have questions about SSIW now, I have nobody but myself to blame. However, here goes. The site has changed a lot since I last visited. The various levels seem to have been replaced by Challenges 1 through 25, at least that’s what I could find. Is there anywhere to go after you have completed Challenge 25?

1 Like

Yup - on to Level 2… :slight_smile:

At the moment (although we really would like to find the time to change this around a bit) Level 1 has 26 challenges, and Level 2 has 25 challenges, and Level 3 currently has about 14 for the south and I think 19 for the north, with more coming in the not-too-distant future.

And welcome back… :slight_smile:

watching the news last night on S4C and the MPs using Welsh in Parliament they kept mentioning Sant Steffan. It took me a while with subtitles to catch on but i think they were referring to Westminster. Did I get that right and if so, why is Westminster Sant Steffan in Welsh?

3 Likes

You did indeed. San Steffan is Westminster because the palace was dedicated to St Stephen (as in boxing day). So the palace of Westminster is Palas San Steffan

3 Likes

The Palace Chapel, I should’ve said, which then became the House of Commons. Destroyed in a fire in 1834

2 Likes

I had the same question, the first time I came across this usage. It seems to be a cross-linguistic thing, to at least some extent, to refer to an authority by the name of some associated place (the White House, a Downing Street spokesperson): At around the same time, I was reading some news about the situation in Catalonia, and it kept referring to the Palace of Moncloa - I eventually guessed/looked up that it meant the (official residence of the) Prime Minister of Spain…

2 Likes

Thank you both that’s really helpful

3 Likes

I learned the Welsh word for flea the other day -chwannen, chwain = fleas! But my dogs were always much more likely to pick up ticks and I can’t find out the right word for the crawly, spidery, miniscule, blood-sucker kind of tick. Maybe nobody wants to consult the Milfeddyg (Vet) in Welsh, but I am now niggled by not knowing. Can anyone tell me what that sort of tick is yn Gymraeg?

Geiriadur yr Academi gives trogen ( plural - trogod) as the spider-type tick, but also hisleuen (plural - hislau, hislod) for sheep-tick.

2 Likes