Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

She can’t catch it twice, surely! It conveys future immunitiy!!
I hope she is soon itch free and back to full fitness!

1 Like

Diolch @henddraig . Apparently you can get it twice if you don’t get it bad enough the first time

1 Like

Owch!!! Lwc dda to you both!

1 Like

Roedd gan fy mab frech yr ieir pedair waith yn fwyfwy difrifol bob tro.

My son has had chicken pox 4 times progressively worse each time.

@Sam84 @henddraig

1 Like

Yes,. I seem to remember that with measles or mumps or something when I was a kid. On the plus side I was imune against (?) The more recent so-called Swine Flu, due to a similar occurrence in the 60s/70s :grinning:

Your son must be spectaacularly unlucky! When my friends had young kids they had ‘chickenpox parties’ and ‘mumps parties’ (pre MMR vaccine) to get the children immune as soon as possible!

Wow that is seriously unlucky to get it 4 times . I hope he doesn’t get it again !
What does the “brech” mean in brech yr ieir ?

Rash, pox or eruption (of spots).

edited to add:
brech eruption n.f. (brechau/brechod) pox n.f. (brechau/brechod) rash n.f. (brechau) spotted adj.
brech cewyn napkin rash cmb.
brech clwt napkin rash cmb. nappy rash cmb.
brech goch measles n.f.
brech y fuwch cow pox cmb. cowpox cmb.
brech y moch swine-pox cmb.
brech yr ieir chicken-pox cmb.

2 Likes

Yes, My Glenda has just confirmed that she was put in for a couple of days with a family friend who had chicken pox so that she could become immune.

I had a party at which a girl with chicken pox attended! My Mam caught it. My dad got shingles. All the other kids got it. Not me! Still haven’t had it! If i got it now it might well be the dearh of me!

3 Likes

Logres is the name of King Arthur’s realm in the Arthurian legends.

4 Likes

Mae’n ddrwg gen i, Gareth, but I seem to have missed the question to which you were replying! So not ‘Albian’ or ‘Camelot’, but ‘Logres’…??? Oh… Lloegr/Logres! Which came first?

1 Like

I think I read that Lloegr is first mentioned in the Armes Prydain Fawr, which is genuinely mediaeval, while all the French etc matière de Bretagne is a bit later. I know there isn’t much about Arthur that’s genuinely both early & Welsh, outside of the comment in the Gododdin, but in this case I think the Welsh form has clear priority.

2 Likes

So back to PYC (again). I heard Ond mae rhywun am yng ngward i or that’s my approximation. I took to mean someone is after me, or has it in for me.
Does anyone know exactly what I heard and what it means?

My first association would be Mae rhywun am 'y ngwaed i, literally “there is someone after my blood.” Sounds like that could fit.

4 Likes

It could also be gwaredu - to get rid of.

2 Likes

I think Hendrik has got the prime suspect here…:slight_smile:

1 Like

That is a great help. On another course I was told it should be Mae annwyd arna i but Mae flw gyda fi. I can never remember which way so if they are interchangeable that helps. This is the best thing about learning Welsh the SSIW way … stop trying to get it all correct just speak Welsh because people will still understand you!!!

4 Likes

Hi everyone, I’m learning the song Milgi Milgi. Milgi is a greyhound but presumably a composite word of mil + ci (dog)? But what does the mil part mean? Thank you!

I believe it’s basically ‘animal’ - a vet is a milfeddyg (= mil + meddyg), a whale is a morfil (sea-beast) and I assume that bwystfil ‘monster’ also has a ‘mil’ at the end. So I assume it refers to greyhounds’ original use as hunting dogs.