Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

of course - makes perfect sense! Thanks :slight_smile:

And my favourite … cawrfil - elephant. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Which would be the correct way to reply “yes” if someone asks if you want something ?
For example ; tisio panad ?
I’ve always thought the correct yes would be “yndw” but I heard someone reply “oes” today

With the phrasing “Ti isio panad?” there is an implied “Wyt” at the beginning, so the correct answer is “Y(n)dw”, as you say. Maybe the person on the receiving end internally rephrased the question somehow and answered accordingly.

2 Likes

There are a number of different ways to answer yes (and no!) and it depends on what the question is.

Basically, the answer echoes the question verb.

Yndw is yes to anything that starts with wyt.
Oes is yes to anything that starts with oes. (t’isio is a shortened form of oes t’isio)

And if the sentence doesn’t start with a verb (e.g. “panad o de?”, you should use ‘ie’.

An exception is if the question is in the past tense - you can use ‘do’ for any ‘yes’ answer in the past tense regardless of the verb used in the question.

2 Likes

Like @Hendrik and @siaronjames said, but I’d like to add that oes as an answer to isio-related questions is very very common. (at least with the people I’ve spoken with)

I think I’ve heard that it has something to do with eisiau being a noun before and the “oes” being carried over, but really it doesn’t matter unless you’re interested in that stuff :smile: Basically “yndw” would be (more?) correct but “oes” is used a lot.

(not sure about any of this)

2 Likes

Diolch pawb for your replies , very helpful . I’ll stick to yndw then . I have been getting a lot better at using the correct yesses and nos lately . It’s one of those things that when you first start learning , you think that you will never get the hang of but it starts falling in to place the more conversations you get in to

Ah diolch @Novem , perhaps my ears weren’t playing tricks on me after all

1 Like

and “naddo” for “no” (at least in the north).

I think we’ve had this question in the past, and I think the explanation is that the question could have been asked as “oes isio i ti panad”, to which the answer “yes” would be “oes”.
And apparently, even if it isn’t asked in that precise way, it can validly be answered as though it was.

(There seems to be a lot of that sort of thing in Welsh - e.g. things that aren’t present causing mutations because if they had been present, they would have caused the same mutation…there is probably logic in it somewhere… :slight_smile: ).

1 Like

According to Emma from Wrexham the question ought to be ‘oes isio i ti …’ (also ‘oes angen i ti’ where we say ‘wyt ti angen …’) so even though we say ‘wyt ti isio …’ (‘t’isio …’) you would, in her view, correctly answer ‘oes/nag oes’.

1 Like

It’s more of a Gog construction. Emma’s Mum says “Oes” to isio questions. Whereas, Emma, and her friends, say “ydw”.

I’ve understood it the way Emma from Wrexham has, but I thought it was “Oes isio arni ti?” (Could well be i ti, never 100% about ar vs i).

2 Likes

Also, please excuse my Welsh spelling above. It’s not my strong point.

On a tangent from @Sam84’s question. I always answer “wyt ti wedi…?” With “do” not “ydw”. I know it’s not strictly the past tense but it feels more past than present to me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah diolch , that’s very interesting. That makes a lot of sense as to why someone would reply “oes” to a “wyt ti isio” question
I always reply with “do” to a “wyt ti wedi?” question too @AnthonyCusack

1 Like

Helo! Is there a Welsh-language audio Beibl available without dramatic voices, music in the background, and in the Morgan translation? The 2004 audio Beibl is a noble undertaking, but it is not what I need.
I can find the type of recording I’m looking for yn Saesneg for the Authorised/King James (Alex Jennings reading the Psalms, for example), but aside from very kind Catriona recording a passage for me here a few years ago, I can find very little.
There are snippets of scripture here and there on YouTube, but that’s all I’ve been able to find.

Hwyl,
Mary yn Tennessee

1 Like

Bore da, So “sorry” is “Mae ddrwg gen i” but I understand that in welsh you can also say “sori”. My question is this: Is there a short welsh way of saying “Mae ddrwg gen i” without resorting to the english “sori”?
Could I, for example just say “ddrwgi” or drwgi"?

No, ddrwgi/drwgi wouldn’t do it. There isn’t a shorter way to say sorry in Welsh which is probably why many often substitute ‘sori’. It’s probably also why ‘plîs’ gets used instead of Os gwelwch yn dda/Os gweli di’n dda.

3 Likes

You will hear the ‘mae’n’ being dropped from time to time, to leave you with ‘ddrwg gen i’, but otherwise, what Siaron said… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

you might also hear mae’n flin da fi, although i have no idea where the flin comes from.

3 Likes

Many years ago I asked my mother how you say “please” in Welsh. She thought for a bit and suggested something that sounded like “Os gwelwch chi fwrdd yn dda.” I am not sure about the “fwrdd” bit. Is this plausible? I then asked her how you say yes and no, but she suddenly got too busy to answer. Now I know why.

4 Likes

This is what I was taught initially, and I still use it. I think, in the same way that mae’n ddrwg 'da fi kind of means it is bad with me, flin from blin, means there is sorrow/annoyance/tiredness/bother with me. Seems blin can mean a lot! Same kind of thing though, I think.

4 Likes