Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Diolch everyone! I liked “ddrwg gen i” best. Easiest to remember…:smile:

1 Like

Yes, I cant “un-remember” mae flin 'da fi

2 Likes

A quick one from me.
'fa at the end of location names (general and specific).
I’m thinking of Glanfa (Wharf), Hofrenfa (heliport), Noddfa (refuge), etc. So sort of “place of …”

Anyway, is the 'fa signifying “man” (place)?

1 Like

Yes, the ‘man’ mutates to ‘fan’ because it is the second half of the compound word. and then the n drops off for convenience!

3 Likes

Mmmm… might just possibly have been ‘os gwelwch chi fod yn dda’, perhaps…

2 Likes

Thanks, Aran. That seems the most likely. I have been wondering about that for years.
Sue

2 Likes

I watch Celwydd Noeth and I find the repetitious presentation helpful . Could someone explain what a’i is in ‘A’i dyna celwydd noeth?’

1 Like

Ai dyna celwydd noeth? = Is that a naked lie?. The ai is kind of a verbal question mark because the question isn’t starting with a verb, but ai itself here doesn’t actually translate into a word.

3 Likes

Brilliant, thanks.

1 Like

Can I swap out some of the following:

Original: No, we don’t have - na, 'sdim 'da ni (nagoes, does dim gyda ni)
swap: No, I/you/you don’t have - na, 'sdim 'da fi/ti/chi?

How about “she doesn’t have”? Is that na, 'sdim 'da hi

Thank you!

Yup… :slight_smile:

1 Like

woo awesome thank you. I love it when things like that fall into place and you have the penny drop moment. Stuff like that are so useful for motivation! I just need to practice it in real life more now!

2 Likes

It’s a very strong hint that your brain is getting some serious filing done… :slight_smile: :star2:

Yes, I remember my own teacher Elwyn way way back telling me that, certainly in his part of the Land of Gog, the answer ‘Yes’ to any question beginning (Wyt) ti isio…? was routinely and normally Oes. And for the reason you have stated, @mikeellwood.

Similarly, by the way, with angen, and for the same reason.

2 Likes

My own theory (and it is just a theory, as I can’t remember ever seeing it explained as such) is that at one time the question would have been “oes arnat eisiau/angen…” which over time turned into “wyt ti eisiau/angen…” (and then to “t’isio…” in certain areas), and although the original oes got left behind, the answer of oes remained.

But I can’t prove that!

4 Likes

You’re dead right @siaronjames - ti yn llygad dy le. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

:astonished: :blush:

2 Likes

Just following up again another two weeks later, i got through two more challenges after that that were relatively painless (6 and 7) but starting in 8 there were a few words that just weren’t sticking. After the success i had last time just repeating them after five lessons i didn’t worry so much about it and felt more relaxed overall, i just finished reviewing lessons 8-12 tonight and had a similar experience (it was easy). Even if it’s not really necessary, i think it’s worth it at least in my case so i feel less anxious about not remembering things :smiley:

Now that i’m halfway through the entire course (just about), i’m really anxious about reaching the end, i don’t want it to stop!

2 Likes

I’ve recently come across the letter y with a grave, i.e ‘backward leaning’, accent in a couple of different places. At first I thought it represented the Gog y sound in a final syllable, but then I saw it used in the word mwg in place of the w (in ‘Inc’ by Manon Steffan Ros) which suggests it represents a particular way of pronouncing w. Can anyone shed light on this?

1 Like

Just to be clear - so what you read was ‘mỳg’?

That would look like a typo to me - can’t think why she wouldn’t have used just ‘myg’ - is the English ‘mug’ what you’re thinking of with ‘mwg’, or ‘smoke’?

@ricardohernandez - that sounds as though you’ve got a really excellent pattern in place that is working for you superbly :star: :star2: Have you asked for an invitation to the Welsh Speaking Practice group yet? :slight_smile: