Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

And one used to grace the leafy setting of St Giles in Oxford. It’s now an Oxfam bookshop.

Pronunciation of short form …ais I. When Ella Hughes sings rhoiais i (I gave) it sounds a bit like rhoi-es i. Matching wnes i. Does this happen in speech any where in Wales (es ending) or was it just easier to sing it that way?

1 Like

Yes, very common. To be honest, it sounds weird to me to hear the -ais ending. I’m not in any way saying it’s a learner thing because I really don’t know but if I hear it it’s generally from a learner.

2 Likes

Very very common - practically the norm, I would say, in normal speech.

I got heavy prolonged flak from some quarters for spelling it -es i in the grammar and elsewhere, but I’m unrepentant - it’s what people say.

9 Likes

All of my dictionaries say the same.

2 Likes

Might also try "fydd ddim rhaid i fi fynd … " for i wont have to go to work tmw.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting! :thumbsup:

(I had to look back to remember which post you were referring to. I’m happy to say I have come a long way since I asked that question 2 1/2 years ago :slight_smile: Yay for SSiW and everyone on this forum! )

2 Likes

Hehe. It was first use of the forum and hadnt realised i was replying to something that was posted that long ago!
I imagine you must have moved on a bit with your welsh since then!

2 Likes

No worries! Whenever anyone asks a question or posts an answer, it’s helpful not only to those particular people, but also to lots of others who had the same question - so never hesitate to post. And welcome to the forum!

2 Likes

Strange one, after my trip to Mountain Ash today:
What was the name of the Welsh speaking Café in nearby Aberdare that was mentioned here recently please?

There was mention of Caffi Seren in Tredegar in this post In the Valleys?

Ah great thanks. I’m a terror for mixing up Tredegar and Aberdare, I’m not sure why!

Having said that, I recently drove to Burnley instead of Barnsley :frowning:

2 Likes

It is also at www.breatheyourwelsh.cymru just put Tredegar in the search on the map.

2 Likes

if you’re ever up there in the week and fancy popping in give me a shout - I’m generally not too far away.

1 Like

My auntie had a phone call from people she knew from England, “We are in Swansea!” She went to their hotel! No such guests. On arriving home, another call, “Sorry, we are in Southsea!”

3 Likes

Nagging / or to ask or grumble persistently =

Swnian/ grwgnach yn barhaus/ bod yn anynad (what is anynad though?) :

A way to say “stop nagging me” in NE Wales is “Paid â chwencian”

1 Like

The older generations I hear “sosej” for sure…I hear selsig said amongst the young more than old…its one of those words replacing things…same with how the modern brechdan is slowly replacing sandwich

Sgods a sglods = Fish and chips … I hear in the North…esp the youth… yet only “tships” Aberystwyth South with people…although Im grateful just to hear Welsh 'ta beth

2 Likes

good translations for “just about” ?

Diolch ymlaen llaw/ Thanks in advance

I’d guess that it’s hard to translate, as it’s quite a vague phrase in English.

If you look up “just” in http://geiriaduracademi.org you get a whole load of entries.

Including “it’s just about big enough” "mae agos â bod yn ddigon mawr "

(but most of the entries don’t have “about” in them).

If you look up “about”, there is one entry that goes:

“I’ve had [just] ~ enough of this, 'rwyf wedi cael hen ddigon ar hyn; 'rwyf wedi hen flino/alaru ar hyn; 'rwyf wedi cael llond bol/bola o hyn;”

Anyway, I think the translation would depend on context.

Hiya, I was thinking in welsh just then (as best as I can anyway) and I thought of the sentence “Mae gen i ffrind” and then remembered “gyda”. So could I also say something like: “Dwi gyda ffrind” or " Mae Morgan gyda ffrind" which if I am right means “Morgan has a friend”.
Hope I havn’t made a fool of myself… :grin:

1 Like