Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

I don’t know if there is a Welsh name for Bournemouth, but maybe @gingerboy, who has lived there, can help?
I’m now wondering if there is a single source where (Welsh) place-names (for English places) are listed? Perhaps in a uni/college where it may not be in the public domain…?
So many questions…:crazy_face:

1 Like

Technically non-Welsh names are not meant to mutate, but they sometimes do. I’ve certainly heard mynd i Firmingham, though I’ve never heard mynd i Uildford ! :slight_smile:

Certain foreign capitals are often mutated, but again it depends, and you don’t have to. Mynd i Baris is heard and seen, similarly I’ve heard mynd i Dokyo.

The Welsh name for Bournemouth is Hafan Henoed.

7 Likes

Diolch! How did you find that out?

2 Likes

Simple - I made it up! :wink:

7 Likes

Very good. I’ve just looked more closely at it! Henoed - old age?

2 Likes

Very unfair and childish, I know… :wink:

2 Likes

But all in good fun :slight_smile:

1 Like

Of course - it’s the best way to get through all this, isn’t it?

Life, I mean…

:slight_smile:

:smiley:

Gareth isn’t admitting to it, but there are a load of place name translations on the back(?) of his dictionary. I know, because I wanted to check if the BBC had got Salisbury right.

1 Like

When I think about my favourite seaside it will always be with this name from now on.

3 Likes

Maybe never heard Guildford mutated because it would sound like “illford”

It’s both catchy and alliterative, isn’t it? I’m rather pleased with myself! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Love that Gareth, so true :rofl:.

Literally we could call Bournemouth “Abernant” as bourne comes from small stream, c.f. Scottish burn and mouth is obviously rivermouth or aber. Incredible to reflect on the fact that all around this coastal paradise are ancient burial mounds and sacred springs. Nine Barrow Down one such treasure, on a par with Egyptian pyramids but hugely overlooked! Who knows, the people buried there probably spoke early Cymraeg

2 Likes

I’ve always thought of Bognor Regis as “Tref Yr Ymddeol”, but I prefer Gareth’s effort. Welsh is meant to be lyrical - he’s a poet, does he know it?
@garethrking Please enter the online Ssiw Eisteddfod this year!!
Hey Sam, thanks for chipping in, hope you’re healthy and happy!

3 Likes

And had they?

1 Like

Yes, agreed with you. They seemed to enjoy saying it. Caer Sallog or something as I recall

Hold on - I’ll go and check in the dictionary! :joy:

2 Likes

Just a question on the version of the past tense: I had (verb). "Would it be “O’n i 'di bod/weld” etc for “I had been/seen” etc? Thanks, John.

I had been seen. = Dwi (we)di bod yn gweld.

Edit:
err um on 2nd thought that would be have been.

So maybe you’re right

On i (we)di bod yn gweld.

1 Like

Thanks, Craig. Sorry about the two verbs as examples.
OK, sticking to one - I should have asked: how do I say the following please?
“I had seen”