Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

A quick google search throws up this:

On the Welsh version of the web site:

Mae dros 30,000 o bobl yn gweithio mewn ystod eang o yrfaoedd sy’n cynnal y gyfraith a threfn yng Nghymru.

On the English version of the website - (not a direct translation - its been made a bit more wordy in the English version):

Over 30,000 people work in a wide range of careers that uphold the law and maintain order in Wales.

2 Likes

Gosh that’s potentially really confusing isn’t it, unless you know the person is from the north. I suppose experienced speakers will know from the accent, but it’s a little tough on newer learners.

yes, but it’s also a matter of context - there are quite a lot of things in Welsh that can be read differently depending on their context!

4 Likes

Not just in Welsh. I assure you English, being a polyglot tongue with words from virtually every place on Earth, not only has vast numbers of ways of saying the same thing, but also many context dependent meanings!!! I can see why being raised in English has advantages and I sympathise with all among us like @tatjana who had to learn it! And that goes for all who met English in Nursery or Primary in Wales, especially my generation who had to switch virtually instantly and were taught in words they did not know and caned for speaking their mother tongue!

1 Like

Not in speech - ‘bysai’n->sai’n’ sounds like ‘san’, where as southern ‘sai’n’ sounds like sigh-n… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Got me thinking of homonyms and homographs now (get me- stuff that looks/sounds the same :slight_smile:)

So I’m going for on, na/'na, du/'di, yn and i for starters.

Edited - OK, I think Ive got it The image looks like the welcome screen. I won’t try to explain, unless anyone has the same problem :slight_smile:

Sorry about the quality.
This is an image of my updated Soundcloud. It is now Soundcloud for Windows 10 (Beta) :frowning:
Does anyone know how to upload (save) a voice recorder file to it now? Just so I can answer a Listening Practice question.

It looks completely different to the old Soundcloud that I was used to, and as shown on Aran’s explanation. I can’t see “upload” anywhere, only “The Upload” in one of the large windows.

Thanks in advance, John.

I hear that sometimes ‘… that I …’ is translate as ’ mod i …’ and sometimes as ’ … bo’ fi …’ but I have failed to notice the context in which each is used.
Could someone please tell me when to use each form? Thank you.

Raymond

You can use either whenever. Personal preference.

Thank you. That makes it nice and easy for me, then.

Raymond

1 Like

Absolutely.

Bo’ fi is more informal than the ‘standard’ mod i, @yorkshireend - but either is fine. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

For “Are you coming to the shop?” is it normal to use Nei di ddod… or Ddoi di…, or either?

Diolch.

Nei di ddod…? is Will you come…? (usually request).
Ddoi di…? is Will you come…? (just asking if you will).
Are you coming…? is:
Wyt ti’n dod…?

4 Likes

“Y ddrama ddiweddaraf i’w dangos ar Channel 4 wedi’i gwneud yng Nghymru”

I understand this to mean “The latest drama to be shown on Channel 4 was made in Wales”, but I have two questions:

1. Where does the 'w come from?

2. Where does the 'i (wedi’i) come from?

Is this some sort of passive voice thing, like “had its making”?

Exactly - ‘after its making’ really, with the cael (perfectly correctly) omitted.

[wedi + possessive + VN] is what corresponds in Welsh to the English past participle.

llythyr wedi’i agor an opened letter
dinas wedi’i dinistrio a devastated city
bwydydd wedi’u rhewi frozen foods

11 Likes

Thank you.

Raymond

2 Likes

On behalf of all who appreciate this, Diolch yn fawr iawn for all your helpful explanations and examples!

3 Likes

Croeso! It is a pleasure to interact with such a lovely bunch of open and interested learners! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I think this is the difference between learning here and learning in school: some (by no means all) teachers are doing it because they were good at a language and needed a job. The people helping and teaching here are doing it because they love Welsh and are enthusiastic about others learning it. That enthusiasm itself is infectious and makes us want to learn more. It’s a genuinely welcoming environment where mistakes are not punished but actually encouraged as part of the learning process. And it works.

5 Likes

Just “harking back” to this. Yesterday I pulled off the road and noticed an old sign on a council highways compound: Cynnal Gwella I’m guessing the equivalent of Upgrade (of the highway).